Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, So I just finished up a 6-player game during a fondue party.

This was, I think my 6th game and my 4th win, most of these games were with 4+ players, the most recent with 6.

I think at this point I can suggest a few things that might help make the difference between a win and a loss. Understand that by the nature of this game, luck and the inclinations of the other players plays a huge role in this, but, even so, there's a few key points that will maximize your chances of getting a good win without upsetting the rest of the party.

note: a lot of this is early game strategy, by the latter half of the game, you should be in a more specialized position and therefore be making choices tailored to your situation.

1) never buy a large truck when you aren't assured of filling it.
Buying a large (9 crate capacity) may seem like a decent gamble, but the other players will NOT let you fill it if they know the graft (2g per turn) is going to hurt you). WAIT...the worst that'll happen is you'll have to rent a truck or sell whiskey a couple of turns. This doesn't apply as heavily to medium and small trucks, but in all cases, beware of paying out for trucks that you can't fill, either with your own whiskey of someone else's.

2) Improve your still: an extra die is always a good thing, especially before the cop comes out. Remote stills are safe from the cops, but subject to destruction, so make this choice carefully considering potential extortion from other players.

3) Control early on isn't as important as most players think: remember that there will be a lot of influence and thugs thrown around that will change the power structure. Early profits will NOT make up for later returns.

4) Don't fuck anyone when they may have a chance to return in kind. Save those high-impact thug cards until you're certain that the returns are worth more than the potential retribution.

5) Make the most of your thugs: A decent thug card will be worth more if you use it as leverage in an extortion scheme or to prevent other players from screwing you. Hold on to it as long as possible, because once you play it, you can't eek any more money from it.

6) Try not to take anyone's baby: If someone has a position that they're really proud of, let them keep it unless they're going to win. This way you can avoid them setting a vendetta against you. Or you can use your thugs or influence to get money from them.

7) Dealmaking: Make deals only when you're certain of the return, don't gamble on later cards helping you, they almost never will. Also, players offering the deal are either certain of gaining advantage or desperate to make some cash; deal with the latter but not the former unless you are pretty sure they're worng.

8) Play your hand close to your chest: never let anyone know how much money you have or what thugs are in your hand until you play them. A caveate: when people think you're behind they'll discount you (usually).

9) Don't spread yourself out: try to gain a monopoly on something, be it a bar, production, or transport; this is not a contradiction to earlier tips. If there is a lack of transport on the board, buy a truck. If people are forced to sell at O'Malleys (the crappy bar), get a bar. If there are a lot of unfilled trucks: improve your still. The point is to be able to fill whatever economic gap that exists on the board. This even applies to there being a minimum of influence at the bars (meaning many bars are open, but just barely); if this is the case, use thugs or influence to upset this balance (or threaten to).

10) Don't blow you're wad!! Save those high dollar muscle cards until you're damn sure they're worth burning. There's nothing worse than blowing your 70, when it's only worth a couple of g's. Make certain that every turn you have at least 1 backup plan with the cards on the table.

I suspect that these ten general tips ought to help you make a decent showing in any game of bootleggers. If you have anything to add, drop a line. I know that things get a little muddled as the game progresses and so do the tips presented above, but the major take home message is that you have to manipulate the other players into avoiding messing with and even helping you throughout the whole game. Remember, you're never untouchable, and you're never out of the game.

play on, and remember- a good mobster will convince people to thank him (or her) for giving them the win!

dengue arrrh

PS pirates are at least as cool as mobsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing to add: If someone has controlling interest in a speakeasy, take it away from them as soon as possible, especially if it is one of the bigger ones. A player can quickly run away with a game if left unchecked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good call. I knew there was something I forgot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Oliveira
Brazil
CHAPECÓ
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And... if you want to keep your friends, play unarmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.