Subject: Cowboy Poetry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a computer full of old text files? Ever look through them?

I did that over this past lunch hour and discovered that I had written some Cowboy Poetry, that I had completely forgotten about.
The challenge was to use the words "varmint", "rattler", and "chili" and work them into a western-themed bit of verse.

This is what I came up with (there is a cadence to the phrasing, if you can hook onto to it):

I shot at the varmint who’d stolen my beans; he ditched me and then rode away.
I saddled up Patches and galloped on after; I swore that I’d catch him that day.
But the sun was a-sinkin’ and I began thinkin’ that I just might have lost him, but then
A voice to the west, by its tone quite distressed; I followed that into a glen.

There lay the thief, his face full of grief, his horse was on the ground too.
I swiftly dismounted, and quickly accounted the scene that had played—for I knew
By the blood on the fetlock I saw what had happened; a rattler had struck at his steed.
It’d thrown him, of course, and the fall from his horse, had left him in medical need.

He clutched at his leg, so I cut off his chaps, and there I did see a surprise
A broken bone, yes, but I never did guess, a shapely calf greeted my eyes.
I stared into his face and in ‘mongst the grime were red pouty lips—I do swear!
I yanked off the hat and cascading down came long golden tresses of hair!

A woman! I thought; I stumbled and fumbled; reality dawning upon me.
She had to be from the old Clancy gang—the young one who called herself Julie.
I trussed up her limb, rode her back into town; I asked her to, “ex-plain herself”:
“I was making some chili, and, isn’t it silly, I had no more beans on the shelf.”

“But I’ve learned my lesson,” she admitted sincerely; I felt for her—no longer mad.
“My poor aging mother, and I’d steal for no other, was craving some chili real bad.
I should have just fed her a bacon-wrapped filet, so next time I’ll say to her, ‘Marnie—
I’ll make you some chili, but I’ll make it authentic, and insist that it will be con carne.’”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.