Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Well I am hooked now... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Sessler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
In search of a solo game, and reading all a lot of Runebound posts, I decided to take the plunge and pick up the game. After a few days of reading threads, I realized that getting the game and the expansions may be a really tricky deal. After much inner turmoil and hunting...
Well....I just got back from the hobby store....I know own:

Runebound 2nd Edition
Runebound: Essentials Collection
The Island of Dread
Sands of Al-Kalim
Drakes and Dragonspawn
Champions of Kellos
Walkers of the Wild
Crown of the Elder Kings

The also had other big box and small expansions, but the ones they had are still available on the FFG website, so I thought there was no hurry to pick them up. I figured if they were still on the site (for now), I could pick them up at any time.
Now to clear the dining room table and use Mr. Skeletor's Solo Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep trying unsuccessfully soblue to get friends into this but I am usually left with the aforementioned solo rules.

Still rocks!! thumbsupthumbsup

Welcome to the club!

Edit: Repositioned unsmiley so intent is more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just wait 6 months for 3rd Edition to be released...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sessler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I feel with all of the people looking to buy it now, all of our luck will force a 3rd edition LOL.

"Mr. Skeletor's solo rules are great.
The Midnight image database has the scan of the threat track."

Is there a link for the image?

Thanks,
Dru

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of Runebound!

Runebound is my all time favorite solo board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Hope you like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait.... where is this hobby store??? I'm in NJ, I will rush there RIGHT AWAY. Or can you pick me up an IoD? And an Essentials? I will meet you wherever. I'm good for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar
I'm sorry Doug, but I really hope Shnar is right and your big spending is quickly rendered unnecessary

If there's nothing after Origins and Gencon, we may be in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Druthu wrote:
I feel with all of the people looking to buy it now, all of our luck will force a 3rd edition LOL.

"Mr. Skeletor's solo rules are great.
The Midnight image database has the scan of the threat track."

Is there a link for the image?

Thanks,
Dru

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky enough that most of my friends prefer to play Runebound the most(from the long games). We usually also play at least one game of Dungeon Quest and lately also Gloom.

But hey, getting Essential Collection? Wow, just wow. And I thought it's not possible anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool deal! Have fun with all that.

DungeonQuest (third edition) is a game you might want to add to your collection in the future. Other than being a fun classic, DQ's character cards and skulpts are compatible with Runebound 2ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Runebound does NOT get enough love. I would say it is in the #1 spot in our household. I hope you enjoy it.

Mr. Skeletor, I will have to revisit your rules to see which you have contributed that we use and love.

Finally, if the load you just picked up isn't enough for you, I would say our favorite expansion is John Goodenough's Mists of Zanaga. Mists took a few shortcomings of the original game and added a few rather interesting mechanics on top of it to address them. Worth a shot!

(Also: boooo re: Runebound 3rd Edition )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sessler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I did pick up a few more things today:
The Frozen Wastes
Cult of the Rune
Shadows of Margath
Relics of Legend

The small expansion packs were below what they cost on the website, so I just got them now...You know more karma for 3rd edition :)

SirWashington wrote:
wait.... where is this hobby store??? I'm in NJ, I will rush there RIGHT AWAY. Or can you pick me up an IoD? And an Essentials? I will meet you wherever. I'm good for it.

I went back today to check availability and he really only keeps one item in his store at a time. I cleaned him out of expansion packs.
He does still have all six Class decks. If you are interested send me a PM and I will pass the information along. He said he could always try his suppliers and see what they have left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Druthu wrote:
I did pick up a few more things today:
The Frozen Wastes
Cult of the Rune
Shadows of Margath
Relics of Legend

The small expansion packs were below what they cost on the website, so I just got them now...You know more karma for 3rd edition

"You have chosen wisely." And, to extend the metaphor, you really have found the holy grail of Runebound.

You should probably get all 6 class decks too. But that's just what I would do. And pretty much everyone else reading this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
But that's just what I would do. And pretty much everyone else reading this thread.
Well, not I. I felt that the class decks took RB completely in the wrong direction, adding more fiddly-ness, more player interaction in the form of "f--- you" cards, and in the end bogged down what was already a game that can run long.

But that's just me

The idea was nice, execution was terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't think you get them necessarily to play them. half of them are very rare, so you can either play them, keep them so you have a full set, or you sell them and offset your costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently added a variant in variant forum of base game that changes rules for usage of character decks to make them:
*less bogging down
*fun to use
*"no hard feelings" when someone uses "f--- you" card on you
*less fiddly, thanks to lowered token handling
*less important, as original rules for them made them "second game within a game"

And I've tested it few times with people and the rules work well. I will be changing them a bit to streamline more soon, based on those games with people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

That's my dream! I bought RB 2nd edition last year, played a bit of it, loved it, didn't have enough friends that liked a good evening of adventure but prefered to push and grab wooden animals for hours, sold my game with LOTS of expansions...and now waiting for the 3rd edition.

Hope it's not just rumors, this game would benefit greatly from a 3rd edition! Instabuy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, right now it's not even a rumor, just a hope. Since FFG has been redoing some of their games, it just seems like a good hope. Descent, Runewars, Game of Thrones all saw an updated edition. FFG still seems sold on their Terrinoth property, so one of their flagship products Runebound I don't think they're just going to stop all development on. However, with the sheer number of expansions, I don't think they're going to do another expansion and instead create a 3rd Edition.

However, they did just announce a new BSG expansion. That surprised me, I figured they were done with BSG...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

However, they did just announce a new BSG expansion. That surprised me, I figured they were done with BSG...

-shnar
Yeah, that was pretty surprising. I assumed they were done with that. I know the game has done pretty well, but the show's been off the air for how long now?

In regards to Runebound, I do think there's a good chance it will see an announcement this year. Between the release of Rune Age, Descent Second Edition, and Runewars Revised Edition, and hosting a Terrinoth event, they seem to want to keep Terrinoth alive. This makes their unwillingness to reprint any of the Runebound material very suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sessler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Like someone said earlier in the post, keep an eye on Origins and Gen Con. If nothing, there is always next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Druthu wrote:
Like someone said earlier in the post, keep an eye on Origins and Gen Con. If nothing, there is always next year.
Yeah, that was me who said that

*notes your last name* Any relation to an Adam Sessler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I called the store and it looks like someone snapped up those character packs Grrr...

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sessler
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Montag451 wrote:
[q="Druthu"]*notes your last name* Any relation to an Adam Sessler?

Not that I know of....

"Well I called the store and it looks like someone snapped up those character packs Grrr...

Jorune"

Wow that was fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not too surprising about the character packs, really. 3 of those are extremely rare. No doubt someone following this thread got them.

Druthu, will be interested to hear your thoughts after you get your first solo session in. Are you going to do base by itself, or are you going straight to expansions (market, hero, whatever)?

I am always trying to find a good solo game, and so far this is really the only one I liked a lot (using Mr Skeletor's rules of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.