Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » News

Subject: Starfield Game Tile Kits announced! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4075

"The X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit introduces twelve thick tiles that allow you to wage your X-Wing space battles above such iconic Star Wars features as Alderaan and the Death Star. Each of these sturdy tiles consists of matte-finished card stock mounted on 2.5mm fiber board and measures one square foot. Starfield tiles are all double-sided, and permit a wide range of possible configurations to create immersive settings as you fight for the fate of a galaxy far, far away...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiles? TILES? Are they stupid or something? Make a freaking playmat, like this Dust Tactics one! You need something that the ships stick to, not something that they slip on, and which will break apart in 12 pieces itself with any nudge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plus side, you can swap 'em around to create different fields. All of Alderaan on one field. Or all of the Death Star. Or just a quarter of each with some asteroids floating around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did not expect this... Looking forward to the first reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing!

Here are some images. Apologies for the oversize images. They are the exact size as in the FFG website.

Quote:
The X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit is scheduled to arrive in the third quarter of 2013!

Quote:
Starfield Game Tile Kit tiles create a quality, custom play surface:

- Twelve tiles, each one-foot square
- Durable 2.5 mm fiber board
- Smooth, matte-finished card stock
- Wide possible range of vivid Star Wars–themed scenes

Quote:
Cooperative or Competitive Setup

The features depicted on the Starfield Game Tile Kit tiles have no standard gameplay function, but players may choose to treat the printed asteroids as obstacles. Accordingly, the Starfield Game Tile Kit comes with rules for both cooperative and competitive setup that allow players to incorporate the tiles’ printed features into their games, along with any number of obstacle tokens.

In a cooperative setup, the players arrange the Starfield tiles to construct a play surface of their choice. No placement restrictions impede their ability to create the scene of their choice, though all players must agree upon the final arrangement of the tiles and obstacle tokens.

Throughout a competitive setup, players take turns constructing the play surface, and positioning obstacles. The competitive setup includes some restrictions upon the placement of obstacles in order to ensure the match allows both players the chance to take full advantage of their maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look lame... Would rather a playmat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dead Man's Doubloons
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I'm less worried about the tiles slipping (if you're really concerned you can just place them on the same felt playmat most of us already bought, and that will keep them in place), but we do still have the issue of the ships slipping. Perhaps it's time to consider the alternate approach of rubber feet on the bottom of each ship stand??!

I do like the idea of changeable tiles... I'll surely grab this when it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting for FFG to announce a play surface but this...is not what I was expecting. My guess is that they'll be priced too high to be worth it for me, but hopefully I'm proven wrong on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's smart. No pressure to buy it, it's just an option, but for those who do not have a mat (or even for those - like me - who have) it is a nice addition to the system.Just this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Death Star is...

(waaaaiiit for it!...)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...out of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird solution. I guess they wanted to make the portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The force is weak in this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueLieutenant wrote:

"The X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit introduces twelve thick tiles that allow you to wage your X-Wing space battles above such iconic Star Wars features as Alderaan and the Death Star. Each of these sturdy tiles consists of matte-finished card stock mounted on 2.5mm fiber board and measures one square foot. Starfield tiles are all double-sided, and permit a wide range of possible configurations to create immersive settings as you fight for the fate of a galaxy far, far away...."

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the deal with a cooperative setup? Have they said something about cooperative play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, my wallet and wife are both VERY glad to see an X-Wing product come along that I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing! For the life of me I cannot see the appeal of a box of heavy tiles compared to a more portable (and more aesthetically pleasing IMHO) felt mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... where are the stars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
What's the deal with a cooperative setup? Have they said something about cooperative play?

Yeah, that note in particular made me think that maybe we'd be getting some new 'missions' with this one, maybe? Not sure how that would work, otherwise - I mean, X-Wing definitely doesn't have anything like co-op, now.

Maybe some kind of 'race' course or something? No idea. Intrigued, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:

XanderF wrote:
freudianslip27 wrote:

Yeah, that note in particular made me think that maybe we'd be getting some new 'missions' with this one, maybe? Not sure how that would work, otherwise - I mean, X-Wing definitely doesn't have anything like co-op, now.

Maybe some kind of 'race' course or something? No idea. Intrigued, though!

I'm pretty sure the difference between cooperative and competitive is simply referring to the method of setup - not necessarily the type of game you play. A cooperative setup is where you work with your opponent to create an amicable field of play - perhaps themed for a mission.

A competitive setup is where you take turns placing tiles and could potentially place a fustercluck of asteroids in your opponent's deployment area give him freedom to do the same to you.

Do you work with your opponent for a mutually agreeable setup or work against each other to give yourself the best setup possible?

That's how I read it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
The Death Star is...

(waaaaiiit for it!...)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...out of scale.

Its three dimensional space... Its farther away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like it. While I appreciate the attempt to create a modular system (I do love a modular game board) I don't see it working for a game like this. It makes it more thematic but doesn't really affect gameplay with any significance. I'll be sticking to my playmat + homemade asteroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps they are envisioning this to be modular with new tiles introduced in the future. But overall it seems a weird move. Why wouldn't you have the planet be Yavin IV - a better looking planet. Or give us a Death Starttrench? Asteroids seem unnecessary. Why would the Death Star and/or Alderaan be near an asteroid field? Well I guess the Death Star may have just blown up a planet, but still. . .

Also seems to be adding another layer of fiddliness. I play Claustrophobia and the lack of interlocking tiles isn't such a huge deal. But in X Wing - where there can be more minis, clumped together, and measured - it just seems like a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what to think. I will be more excitied if they announce that they are coming out with future tiles that have the Deathstar Trench Run and side portions of an Imperial Star Destroyer and Rebel Blockade Runner. Not that's a box set I would buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost is the ultimate deal breaker here. This box is going to retail for $40, per the product page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost isn't great and I'm also not sold on these types of tiles for this type of game.

I'm all for the modular tiles for a zone-based board game (a la Zombicide or Mansions of Madness) where a bit of bumping and shifting around isn't a big deal, but for a true miniatures game where the exact position of the figure is important I'm a little less enthused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well bad news for FFG because if their core consumer base (I think arguably much of the people who participate in these forums...lol) is either unconvinced or outright uninterested, then I think these will pretty much flop. Unless...of course...they decide that all tournament play will be on these modular tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.