Popular Tags: [View All]
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LIST OF THE KICKSTARTER SUGGESTED VARIANTS (MOSTLY BY JIMMY)

WARNING- THESE HAVE NOT BEEN PLAY TESTED YET.

(edit was me re-typing everything in all caps)
Have fun trying them!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jimmy on March 18

This simple game inspire me I think when I'll get my copy I'll try a 4 version team rule called "Black Beard Variant" (using one black meeple). In this variant, each player would receive secretly an allegiance to Black Beard. Two players would try to save the Black Beard meeple and the two other will try to push him down the plank. The team that reaches their goal wins the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jimmy on March 15

Another expansion idea, the first player that gets eliminated from the game gets one ghost pirate meeple that can't be pushed but can push the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more untested expansion idea, players have one dolphin cards. If only one player plays this card he can save 1 meeple from the water, if more people play it than the dolphins play with each other instead of saving you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is an expansion idea by Diego Sotomayor Noel on March 26

The [monkey]:
Component: 1 Pirate monkey token.

Rule: Every time the player revealing a card moves/shoves a pirate where the Monkey is, the Monkey moves as well (if it drops to the sea, a "new" monkey appear at the ship) . At the end of the round, the monkey steal[s?] to every player who has a pirate in the same plank 1 of the card he played this round at random.

You can do the same with a parrot and a bonus instead of a penalty

Diego Sotomayor Noel on March 27

I love the gosth! but not so much the dice, I think 1 is enough. I was actually trying to come up with a simple not dice idea. I think in general [it] is simple, every time you push someone you move this lying around token too. At the end of round you get a bonus [or] punishment if you end up [o]n a plank with it. I like the idea, will find a monkey/parrot token as a house expansion

*note: where [] are indicates I changed the original post, otherwise the wording is as found on the Kickstarter comments page (which is why the date is included for reference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jimmy [Monday April 15th]

For people who like untested and incomplete variant ideas :

I call this idea the "Ship Boarding Variant". It plays with two ships placed side by side and joined by a plank. This variant is played in team. Each team of pirates starts on their own ship and the goal is to move all your crew on the other ship first and board the opposing team ship.

There are probably some tweaks needed to the cards so we can still push pirates in the deadly water, but I think that it would be a fun idea to be able to board another ship in a "walk the plank" chaotic way.

Reminder : This is not tested and complete and was written just to tempt you to buy 2 copies of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately a lot of these ideas don't actually work without some further heavy tweaking because of the game's design - there are some fun ideas though.

Black Beard has the issue that it'd probably be advantageous to effectively reveal yourself and try to kill Blackbeard right out, because it's easier to move him to his doom than to save him. You'd need something else there.

A related idea that came up during one playtest that would work a bit better though: You have a neutral Blackbeard pawn on the boat that nobody wants to kill. It can be moved around like any other pirate. If any player's action causes Blackbeard to die, they are immediately eliminated from the game. This gives you an extra pawn to use for things like Pull, makes Shove Anyone and Retract the Plank riskier, and adds some options like shoving Blackbeard out hoping someone else will Retract, etc. (And you could, of course, use the Ghost Meeple for this =)

(This is untested, so I'm not certain it works and it shouldn't be considered an 'official variant' or whatever, but seems decent enough in theory.)

And feel free to mention this discussion in the comments on the KS btw - it's a lot harder to have a conversation there than proper forums like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twinge wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of these ideas don't actually work without some further heavy tweaking because of the game's design - there are some fun ideas though.

Black Beard has the issue that it'd probably be advantageous to effectively reveal yourself and try to kill Blackbeard right out, because it's easier to move him to his doom than to save him. You'd need something else there.

A related idea that came up during one playtest that would work a bit better though: You have a neutral Blackbeard pawn on the boat that nobody wants to kill. It can be moved around like any other pirate. If any player's action causes Blackbeard to die, they are immediately eliminated from the game. This gives you an extra pawn to use for things like Pull, makes Shove Anyone and Retract the Plank riskier, and adds some options like shoving Blackbeard out hoping someone else will Retract, etc. (And you could, of course, use the Ghost Meeple for this =)

(This is untested, so I'm not certain it works and it shouldn't be considered an 'official variant' or whatever, but seems decent enough in theory.)

And feel free to mention this discussion in the comments on the KS btw - it's a lot harder to have a conversation there than proper forums like these.

Thanks Jared! I mentioned the other one, but forgot to mention this one.

I like your BlackBeard variant, might have to try that one. Maybe have a rule that once a person's move becomes invalid then Blacbeard gets pushed one plank closer to his doom. Ex: you play "shove player right," and she moves out of reach, so you can no longer shove her- time to move Blackbeard instead. If your invalid move causes the beloved Blackbeard's doom- then you die immediately (the guilt overwhelms you, or you jump overboard trying to save him) and become the ghost (regardless if you were first out or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: Shanty-dance Card
Function: Exchange places with a pirate on an adjacent tile

One of those, could-work-for-you-or-against-you

Also, in the style of the Blackbeard type variants, what if there were some neutral piece that would drag a pirate into the Kraken if sent in himself, but could otherwise be shoved around like a player's pirate. I would call it the Ghost Pirate (after the W.H. Hodgson book of the same title and the way the titular pirates are in it) but that appears to be taken (although if there aren't official rules for that...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blubber the Pirate (Use ghost meeple)
Can be shoved but cannot shove. Is so fat that no more than two other pirates can be on a plank tile with him, the rest jump directly into the sea! (Shover chooses target meeple)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.