Subject: "Infinite Loop" ...what is this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/podcasts/_/star-wars-the...

These guys rock, great podcast...

but what the heck are they talking about "Infinite loops" and having to declare infintie loops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
An Infinite Loop is a term coined for the play of cards that can never end, they re-occur over and over again. Example to simplify an IL: 2 cards that allow you to put them in your discard pile, and when you do, you may pull another one out. So play one, put in in your discard, pull another of the same name. Play it, pull the first one out. Play the first one, pull the other out, and so forth...

Usually an Infinite Loop involves a few cards, but it's something that can go over and over and over as many times as you can think of, by using the game and card rules. You play a series of cards that make them all loop back to your hand and get replayed, rinse and repeat. It's something that's usually missed in design, and difficult to pull off, but possible, so players like to try for it.

I didn't go into the SW loop they speak of, because it will be confusing, but you asked what one was, so hope my explanation helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
An Infinite Loop is a term coined for the play of cards that can never end, they re-occur over and over again. Example to simplify an IL: 2 cards that allow you to put them in your discard pile, and when you do, you may pull another one out. So play one, put in in your discard, pull another of the same name. Play it, pull the first one out. Play the first one, pull the other out, and so forth...

Usually an Infinite Loop involves a few cards, but it's something that can go over and over and over as many times as you can think of, by using the game and card rules. You play a series of cards that make them all loop back to your hand and get replayed, rinse and repeat. It's something that's usually missed in design, and difficult to pull off, but possible, so players like to try for it.

I didn't go into the SW loop they speak of, because it will be confusing, but you asked what one was, so hope my explanation helps.

Whats the star wars loop?

I mean I know what it is in general...what it is in SW? And usually arnt they errata'd because they are broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and the purpose of declaring how many time you will loop is to stop stalling the game out. In tournaments, you have a time limit, so if you get up on VP's, and you stall out the game, you can win off of accumulated points. By declaring how many times you will do it, it makes it instant. IE: I am going to loop a million times, then we "just say" it happened, and the loop ends. Declaring is just to end the loop to stop stalling. FFG rules this in the FAQ/Errata that came out a couple weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh okay, I thought you were just wondering what an Infinite Loop meant.

In SW, the loop involves: (taken from a DB post)

The loop setup works like this:
-Setup: the LS must control the Force. Hopefully some combination of Jedi Monument/Training/Mind Trick can help you accomplish that. Also Leia must be in play (although the combo will work even if she is captured--just start with Rescue Mission and then play Fall Back!).
-Step 1: Play Fall Back! on Leia. Instead of returning to your hand, she will be captured by the DS player. Remove all focus tokens from cards you control.
-Step 2: Focus two resources to play Rescue Mission. Leia returns to play.
-Step 3: Focus one resource to play the first copy of It Binds All Things, recurring Rescue Mission and Fall Back!

The Loop:
-Step 4: Play Fall Back! on Leia; she is captured; remove all focus tokens.
-Step 5: Focus one resource to play the SECOND copy of It Binds All Things, returning Fall Back! and the first IBAT to your hand.
-Step 6: Focus two resources to play Rescue Mission; Leia returns to play
-Step 7: Focus one resource to play the first IBAT, recurring Rescue Mission and the second IBAT
-Then repeat steps 4-7 ad infinitum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
Ahhh okay, I thought you were just wondering what an Infinite Loop meant.

In SW, the loop involves: (taken from a DB post)

The loop setup works like this:
-Setup: the LS must control the Force. Hopefully some combination of Jedi Monument/Training/Mind Trick can help you accomplish that. Also Leia must be in play (although the combo will work even if she is captured--just start with Rescue Mission and then play Fall Back!).
-Step 1: Play Fall Back! on Leia. Instead of returning to your hand, she will be captured by the DS player. Remove all focus tokens from cards you control.
-Step 2: Focus two resources to play Rescue Mission. Leia returns to play.
-Step 3: Focus one resource to play the first copy of It Binds All Things, recurring Rescue Mission and Fall Back!

The Loop:
-Step 4: Play Fall Back! on Leia; she is captured; remove all focus tokens.
-Step 5: Focus one resource to play the SECOND copy of It Binds All Things, returning Fall Back! and the first IBAT to your hand.
-Step 6: Focus two resources to play Rescue Mission; Leia returns to play
-Step 7: Focus one resource to play the first IBAT, recurring Rescue Mission and the second IBAT
-Then repeat steps 4-7 ad infinitum.

this doesnt seem like it does anything but stall =/

guess thats the point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squeeze in a copy of "Heavy Blaster Emplacement" between steps 4 and 5 and LS has an automatic win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Wookiee Navigator also makes this a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there a couple variants out there, my post was just the first I put up in trying to show an example of a loop for the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This calls for a repost of the greatest Star Wars LCG meme-picture so far:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That deserves gold, Andreas! Very funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I'll settle for the thumbs and pass the gold on to the original poster Re: The FAQ has arrived!, I hope he is the originator of the meme.

Don't want to steal all his thunder. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ezel wrote:
Thanks, but I'll settle for the thumbs and pass the gold on to the original poster Re: The FAQ has arrived!, I hope he is the originator of the meme.

Don't want to steal all his thunder. blush

So the rule prevents this entirely or just stops it from being used to stall?

You could still inifinite blaster or infinite run wookie navigator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prevents the stall. You declare a number of times it will be used, then it instantly happens. If that would be enough to end a game due to looping damage to objectives/dial clicks, then so be it- game over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Longbombed wrote:
Prevents the stall. You declare a number of times it will be used, then it instantly happens. If that would be enough to end a game due to looping damage to objectives/dial clicks, then so be it- game over.

Isnt this game breaking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. They aren't easy to pull off. You need right cards in hand same time, right situations. Sure there's only 50 card in your draw deck, but still. I've never seen it pulled off, but have heard of players trying, but none successful. You can go ahead and try, I suppose, but if you want to sit on those 4 cards in hand, waiting for the other 2, or whatever, your getting the snot kicked out of you by your opponent because you're not cycling your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
Isnt this game breaking?

Only if you can pull the combo off. It's *MUCH* harder than it looks like. I know, my friends were trying it for a while.

It's a combo that *can* happen, but isn't very likely. What's more likely to happen is that people will lose the game (easily) by trying to pull this off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
Longbombed wrote:

Isnt this game breaking?

The combo requires SIX cards to pull off. If you can make that happen, you've earned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
Squeeze in a copy of "Heavy Blaster Emplacement" between steps 4 and 5 and LS has an automatic win.

My memory may be failing me, but doesn't the heavy blaster only damage units and not objectives?

The only win condition I know of with this loop is the aforementioned Wookiee Navigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakaMattSu wrote:
manydills wrote:

My memory may be failing me, but doesn't the heavy blaster only damage units and not objectives?

The only win condition I know of with this loop is the aforementioned Wookiee Navigator.

Whoops, it's my memory that failed there. You're totally correct. (but you get the idea of the infinite loop, in any event.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.