T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've skimmed the 66 threads on rules questions for Caylus, and I don't think this has been asked already, but if it has, I'm sorry, please just point me in the direction of the answer. I also checked the FAQ on Ystari's website, but didn't see the answer there either. Perhaps the answer is obvious, if so, I appreciate your help in pointing that out to me.

My question has to do with the Peddler and the Alchemist. When you pay two deniers to buy two resource cubes at the Peddler, do you have to buy two different resource cubes or can you buy two of the same? For example, can you buy two stone cubes at the Peddler?

Similarly, when you trade resources cubes for gold at the Alchemist, can you trade two of the same cube or do they have to be different? For example, if you want to trade for two gold cubes, do you have to trade in one food, one wood, one stone, and one cloth, or instead can you trade in four of the same resource cubes?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yschiew
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
with the peddler:
You are allowed to buy 1 or 2 cubes of your choice.

with the alchemist:
cubes of any good may be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer Yee. That definitely makes both buildings better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to Caylus and was wondering about this question as well. I am still confused. Yee has answered the question as the text appears in the rules, which seems vague to me. I think the symbols are what have me confused. For example, with the traders you can trade a cube of any color (represented by a white colored cube on the tile) for deniers. With the peddler, you can buy a cube or cubes with denier. The tile shows a symbol representing all the cube colors except gold. Does this mean you can use any combination of cubes except gold? If you were purchasing two cubes could they be different colors or do they have to be the same color? With the alchemist you have to give up cubes to get gold. Same symbol. Can it be any combo of colors or do they need to be the same color?

I appreciate in advance, anyone who can clear up the cloud around my head on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Attia
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
For example, with the traders you can trade a cube of any color (represented by a white colored cube on the tile) for deniers.

Yes. You can choose to sell a cube of any kind (even gold).

kinga1965 wrote:
With the peddler, you can buy a cube or cubes with denier. The tile shows a symbol representing all the cube colors except gold. Does this mean you can use any combination of cubes except gold? If you were purchasing two cubes could they be different colors or do they have to be the same color?

You can choose any combination of cubes, except gold. That can be either two cubes of the same kind or two cubes of different kinds.

kinga1965 wrote:
With the alchemist you have to give up cubes to get gold. Same symbol. Can it be any combo of colors or do they need to be the same color?

Same symbol, same meaning. The 2 (or 4) cubes can be all different, all the same, or something in between (3 food and 1 wood, for instance).

Hopefully this will clear up any cloud and confusion about these symbols.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William,

Thank you very much! You helped clear away the cobwebs.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.