Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Duprey
United States
Saint Cloud
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wonder how many of you guys have been using proxies. It's something that I used to do way back in the day when I played other CCG/TCG. For those of you that don't know, it's basically a slip of paper in a sleeve with another card that represents another card. The most common proxy is simply the card printed on paper.

The benefits are that I don't have to mess with keeping the card in order of objective sets all the time as they will be kept in my binder until Regionals. I was thinking, I just print up 2 core sets and DOH as well as any other sets at staples or something for a menial fee.

Have any of you dabbled with proxies, and if so let me know your experience.

Edit: also is there somewhere I could go to just get the scans on pages, or am I going to have to some work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used proxies before, but only for games that I own.

I may use proxies to try out new decks with pod that has been 'spoiled' but is not yet released. I put the paper in an opaque-backed sleeve with a 'normal' card in it.

Just remember that your opponent has to allow this and it CANNOT be used in anything but fun games. No league, no Regionals, etc. (I guess if the TO for the league allows it, it is ok, but I wouldn't bet on it. As a TO, I would not allow them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Duprey
United States
Saint Cloud
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, this is for my personal testing use, I plan on using the real cards for Tourneys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using proxies of Chewies OSet for testing a deck idea of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I never thought they'd be needed in a living card game. I understand for CCGs, but since you know what you're buying when you buy a pack of this game, I don't need them.

Though I do see the usefulness for testing, I can wait till the cards are printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you only need two cores, two of any deluxe, and one of any Force pack to have complete play sets, I really didn't think about it for this game.

Now that all the LCG's (minus their cores) have complete play sets, I always thought of proxies as a thing of the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Duprey
United States
Saint Cloud
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly because I'm lazy and would rather have a set of sleeved cards for proxy testing and keeping my real cards in storage until actual playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Grimes

Huntington Beach
California
msg tools
mb
For me proxies are a necessity. I'm not about to buy 2 more core sets for more mottis and Lukes. And trying to switch pods between multiple decks is annoying. So I've been making proxies to have decks Icahn just play with and loan out to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those cards are ment to be played so I never use proxies. It was usefull in the past for tcg's like mtg so I didn't have to buy the cards before trying out the deck I wanted to build.

But for lcg's? I don't see the point. Making the proxies is more of a hassle than just putting all cards in the same sleeves and moving from deck to deck.

g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Duprey
United States
Saint Cloud
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TinyGrimes wrote:
For me proxies are a necessity. I'm not about to buy 2 more core sets for more mottis and Lukes. And trying to switch pods between multiple decks is annoying. So I've been making proxies to have decks Icahn just play with and loan out to new players.

Someone gets me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.