BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Are Wargaming Magazines worth the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Embark
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking into 'Against the Odds' and 'Strategy and Tactics' magazines but am still undecided. I have heard mixed reviews on the ATO games and S&T seem like their following is pretty niche. Does anyone here have an opinion of the magazine games in question? I took the time to look at the ratings of some of their games, but most don't have a bonafide review for them. As always, ratings are highly subjective, but I would think that if someone is subscribing to the magazines, they would be the target audience.

I don't want to shell out the money for something that is going to sit unplayed.

Thanks
Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Marsh
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
and in the middle
badge
Grrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one seems to be, given its quality, and the fact that it is free!

http://www.wargamesjournal.com/home/index.asp

Other than that, there are some UK magazines, but they are mostly poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A glass of water is worth far more in the desert than in a restaurant.

Only the end user can determine worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link seems to be to a Miniature Wargaming magazine rather than a Board Wargaming one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Earl Schultz
South Korea
USAG Humphreys - Pyeongtaek, South Korea
US Armed Forces - Pacific
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ben

Are you getting the Magazine for the game inside or the information?

If it is the game inside then I can't help you as like you say the game inside may or may not interest you.

If you like GMT Games as in POG in your avatar then you can't go wrong with their in house zine. The official update counters for the games that come in the zines from time to time make it worth it. Then again I own more then one GMT Game so maybe that is why I like the zine so much. Again I get that one for the information and the updated counters.

I get the ASL Journal because it says ASL.

Just my .02 worth.

Earl, SFC Schultz, FOB Salerno, Afghanistan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Not worth as much as they used to be. I was a subscriber to S&T when it was $15 to$18 a year. I believe it is now up over $100. per year. Agreed, it is a hit and miss thing with the games, but the magazine itself is good ( bigger than the old ones, and better than Wargamer ever was ). DG had a special last month for the magazine only sub., and it's a good deal. I've kept all my old ones (50+), and for the most part, happy I still have the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.