Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Can you tell me at what point i can buy and play the effects of an event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at the rulebook page 30. It shows the Turn sequence, and when Actions are allowed. A lot of Event cards have the keyword Action. You can play those, whenever Actions are allowed.
Sometimes they also specify a certain phase like Refresh Action, that means you can only play that Event card in the Action window in the Refresh phase.
Some Event-cards use the Keyword Response instead. They should specify the exact moment/event, that triggers the ability to use that Event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ins3kT wrote:
Have a look at the rulebook page 30. It shows the Turn sequence, and when Actions are allowed. A lot of Event cards have the keyword Action. You can play those, whenever Actions are allowed.

And note that it's the green lines where you can play actions, not just the ones specifically labelled "Player Actions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E

Florida
msg tools
mb
It looks like a lot to remember... but the basic rule of thumb is, pretty much any time except after shadow cards are revealed UNLESS its a response to that. The idea is that they want you to prepare and be cautious, not play the instant its needed like in say Magic: The Gathering.

If you're going to guard against an attack that may get your character killed, and have an event that increases your defense, they would want you to play it before the shadow card is flipped, as opposed to flipping, seeing the result and then deciding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Zerofaith wrote:

If you're going to guard against an attack that may get your character killed, and have an event that increases your defense, they would want you to play it before the shadow card is flipped, as opposed to flipping, seeing the result and then deciding.

I don't think defence is a good example. While the shadow effect gets applied before you can take a non-response action, you can act before the damage for the attack is calculated. So if the shadow effect raised the attack of the enemy, there would still be a chance to raise the defence of the defender before combat damage is calculated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
You cannot play any Action cards between flipping Shadow card and carrying out the text of Shadow flipped Shadow card.

You can play any Action cards between after Shadow effect is resolved and actually dealing wound tokens.

So sometimes it is better to play your buffs before shadow is revealed (incase shadow makes you discard your hand or resource), but sometimes it is better to play your buffs after shadow is revealed (incase defender is removed from combat via shadow effect and your card would be wasted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to make this straight to my mind ...

To use an event card I must have played it and arranged it infront of me already. I cannot play it and use it at the same time, right ? Or this is just for teh shadow response and in all other aspects I can play and use it at the same time?

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Event cards are played and used simultaneously (although they might persist/stay for a while, ex. Blade Mastery).

The text on the Event card determines when it can be played/used. There are three kinds of Events ...
1. Response: Can only be played/used after the trigger has happened.
2. Action: Can only be played/used during the appropriate action windows.
3. Phase Action: Can only be played/used during the appropriate action window of a specific phase.

Print out the following (1 page) and keep it handy while playing ... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66624/clarified-turn-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Nikos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos II
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem!

Keep in mind that the Responses, Actions and Phase Actions of other cards (ex. Heroes, Allies, Attachments) operate in the same way as the Responses, Actions and Phase Actions of Events.

Edit: I didn't mean to confuse as per the next poster's point. Yes, Responses can only be played during Response windows. Updating text to more clearly reflect that truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traekos77 wrote:
No problem!

Keep in mind that the Responses, Actions and Phase Actions of many other cards (ex. Heroes, Allies, Attachments) are played during the same action windows as Events.

Note to self: Must change my name to something more specific!

Responses aren't played during action windows - they're played whenever their triggering conditions are met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.