Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Back when I was grade school age in the early 70's, we had yearly health screenings. One thing that they did was have us take our thumb and index finger and put it around our wrist. They always said "good" when I did it and sent me on my way. What the heck were they checking for? I am assuming that they were checking for malnutrition or something along those lines. I also have no idea what random neurons in my brain linked up to make me think of that all of the sudden.

Anyone have any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You put your own fingers around your wrist? No idea.

But when the doctor puts their fingers on either side of your wrist, they are doing a rough check on your pulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definately wasn't for a pulse check. I always joked that they were checking for Skinny Wrist Syndrome. They did this test at the same time they tested kids for scoliosis and other assorted childhood ailments. I remember asking my mother about it but she had no idea either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno. When the fingers and thumb overlap around the wrist, it can be a sign of Marfan's, but that's a really strange disorder to be screening for.

See: http://www.marfan.org/marfan/4470/Diagnostic-Criteria----Sco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... how many of us read this and immediately put our finger and thumb around our wrist??

(yeah, still not sure what that would check, though...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Many of the current techniques for body and weight analysis such as the standard Body mass index do not take into account the different body frame sizes.

One easy way to determine your body frame size is to wrap your thumb and major fingers around the smallest part of your wrist.

If your fingers overlap, an estimate for your frame size is a small frame.
If your fingers just touch, an esimate of your frame is a medium frame.
If your fingers do not touch, an estimate for your frame is a large frame.

Add 10 percent for a large frame size, and subtract 10 percent for a small frame size to the ideal weight calculator.

If you want a more exact measure to calculate your body frame size use either your wrist circumference or elbow breadth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
When the fingers and thumb overlap around the wrist, it can be a sign of Marfan's, but that's a really strange disorder to be screening for.
Uh-oh...

(Luckily I do not have Marfan's. Just long fingers and skinny wrists. And in fact the test involves covering your whole pinky nail with your thumb while wrapping around your wrist; I can't quite do that, but almost.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
Quote:
Many of the current techniques for body and weight analysis such as the standard Body mass index do not take into account the different body frame sizes.

One easy way to determine your body frame size is to wrap your thumb and major fingers around the smallest part of your wrist.

If your fingers overlap, an estimate for your frame size is a small frame.
If your fingers just touch, an esimate of your frame is a medium frame.
If your fingers do not touch, an estimate for your frame is a large frame.

Add 10 percent for a large frame size, and subtract 10 percent for a small frame size to the ideal weight calculator.

If you want a more exact measure to calculate your body frame size use either your wrist circumference or elbow breadth.

I have never heard of that method to determine frame size... sounds like some kind of witchcraft or voodoo. What if someone just has long fingers? (Actually, this could have been what they were doing, but I don't really see the use of finding out the frame size of a bunch of second graders.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Dunno. When the fingers and thumb overlap around the wrist, it can be a sign of Marfan's, but that's a really strange disorder to be screening for.

The picture in that link of the fingers around the wrist sure does look like what they had us doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
elbow breath

OH GOD I HAVE ELBOW BREATH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
The Unbeliever wrote:
elbow breath

OH GOD I HAVE ELBOW BREATH

This is what you get for proving you can lick your elbow so often....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

Is anyone else frightened by the sheer amount of obscure medical knowledge Josh has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Is anyone else frightened by the sheer amount of obscure medical knowledge Josh has?
Ah, that's just your amigdala talkin' to you. A small dose of a nonselective beta blocker might help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Fun, random fact: Akhenaten, crazy pharaoh during the New Kingdom in Egypt, may have had Marfan's. Images of him in art of the time period show a tall, skinny dude with an elongated face and fingers, and wide hips with a beer gut. Interestingly, he was a monotheist, who closed down all the temples and declared the Aton, a sun disc with sunbeams for arms and hands, as the one true god. Here's where it gets really interesting. Marfan's can make you feel cold, like you can never warm up, and Akhenaten worshipped the sun and its warmth giving light. Hmmmm....

Okay, I'm done. As you can imagine that's a tidbit I rarely get an opportunity to mention. Oh, and Abraham Lincoln may have had Marfan's, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pauljackson wrote:
Images of him in art of the time period show a tall, skinny dude with an elongated face and fingers...

Allow me to present my colleague, with an alternate explanation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
pauljackson wrote:

Okay, I'm done. As you can imagine that's a tidbit I rarely get an opportunity to mention. Oh, and Abraham Lincoln may have had Marfan's, too.
I'm more of a "Lincoln had syphilitic aortitis" guy, but whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
pauljackson wrote:

See?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
pauljackson wrote:

See?!?!?
I'm an "Abe Lincoln was gay" believer. Anybody else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
pauljackson wrote:

See?!?!?

I had a joke set up about Lincoln and the theatre, but it's in poor taste so I'm not posting it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
wmshub wrote:
jeffwiles wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
pauljackson wrote:

See?!?!?

I had a joke set up about Lincoln and the theatre, but it's in poor taste so I'm not posting it. :whistle:

Good call. It's still too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Joe quoted above, my guess is that it was a test to see if a child was predisposed to obesity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
As Joe quoted above, my guess is that it was a test to see if a child was predisposed to obesity.

Yeah... that is what I was thinking as well... I was just wondering if there was anything else to it.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
It definately wasn't for a pulse check. I always joked that they were checking for Skinny Wrist Syndrome. They did this test at the same time they tested kids for scoliosis and other assorted childhood ailments. I remember asking my mother about it but she had no idea either.

I remember getting checked for Scoliosis in our underwear in gym class. This was the same gym teacher that taught weightlifting and used to show his favorite weightlifting students vintage pictures of naked weightlifters.

I was also pantsed in front of the girls' gym class. Jr. High was like a bad John Hughes movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

I remember getting checked for Scoliosis in our underwear in gym class. This was the same gym teacher that taught weightlifting and used to show his favorite weightlifting students vintage pictures of naked weightlifters.

Reading that just creeps me out!

(shudder)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.