Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok granted I have only just received this and only done a test run using solo rules. However, it seems like there are very few ways to lose citizens unless you really want to. I upgraded to city in 4 turns and it never went back down. Also I got to max valor by turn 6 and was just wasting it the last few turns since I knew I could get it back. I think I only lost one dungeon fight the whole time too with maybe a total of 2-3 heroes dying the whole game.

My question for those of you who have played this multiplayer, did you find it really easy to "win" (get to city by the end of 8 turns)? It seems that the players need to really screw up not to get to city level by the end. Is the drive to score more points than your opponent really great enough to risk getting everybody to lose at the end (ala Cutthroat Caverns)? Hopefully I am just getting a skewed result from playing the solo rules and the real game is much more tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Fingerhut
msg tools
I haven't played it yet but I have some theories why single player would be easier. The adventurers and citizens are shared so in a larger game, you wouldn't be able to get nearly as much gear for your adventurers or even as many adventurers. Since the heroic guild's job is to make it a city essentially and the other guilds have different motives a lot of resources would go to things that didn't help make Karez a city or helped very little. If everyone cooperated to make it a city as fast as possible the heroic guild would win and everyone else wouldn't have gotten enough victory points to threaten them, so they kinda need to work against the heroic guild and therefore slow the advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend got his copy and we played a four player game yesterday. It did seem easy to get to the city level. In our game two of the players focused a lot on the dungeons to reduce threat and would up tied for last. It seems that you don't want to spend too much time going after threat if you want to be the sole winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it twice and watched other group once.
I could agree to your statement that this is to easy.
But, of course if you played the correct strategy and luck.

My first game was a disaster, not that I called it bad but we called it done in 6th round since we beaten down into pulp by the threat and adventure. 3 players game and no single adventure card had been cleared. One adventure card had 6 threat cube in the 6th round and every time we went for an adventure, our heroes were dead. Karez state was never step advance than a village.
Our combat roll sucks and facing 2 traps and 1 undead seemed very menacing for our single hero.

The second game is better. Of course we managed to get into city state by 6th round and everything were smooth there. I encountered 2 adventures and never lose, not even fallen heroes. The game lean toward valor gauge. It never came back down.

The hard part was for arcane guild player, who need adventurers for his private dungeon, but was never getting any since he's never be the first player (it's hard to compete with others' valor cubes) and once karez in a city state, it's impossible for him to turn the gauge leaning to threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elad Goldsteen
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:
Ok granted I have only just received this and only done a test run using solo rules. However, it seems like there are very few ways to lose citizens unless you really want to. I upgraded to city in 4 turns and it never went back down. Also I got to max valor by turn 6 and was just wasting it the last few turns since I knew I could get it back. I think I only lost one dungeon fight the whole time too with maybe a total of 2-3 heroes dying the whole game.

My question for those of you who have played this multiplayer, did you find it really easy to "win" (get to city by the end of 8 turns)? It seems that the players need to really screw up not to get to city level by the end. Is the drive to score more points than your opponent really great enough to risk getting everybody to lose at the end (ala Cutthroat Caverns)? Hopefully I am just getting a skewed result from playing the solo rules and the real game is much more tense.

I will post a variation that will make the gameplay harder and more intense for Hardcore gamers like you.
("Geek mode")
It will be included in future edition and will be in the strategy guide that you are expected to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosendo Hernandez
United States
Decatur
Michigan
flag msg tools
Was this game complete upon its release?
It seems this is becoming a pretty common answer to concerns that are being expressed.

Rules are being rewritten.
Videos are being produced to supplement confusing rules.
Variants are being given to address complexity issues.
It seems this is a work in progress and not a finished product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elad Goldsteen
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this variants:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/963420/official-variants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.