Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: The Sea of Blood» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Stalemate in SOB: Need help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

we are currently playing our first SOB campaign (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/953324/sissies-in-the-sob-se...) and have run into a very stupid situation from which we cant find a way out.

We are playing our first encounter with a LT (something everybody warned us about). Its against Darkwing.

The really stupid situation is, that after 10 boring turns of chasing I (Zyla) have managed to lock Darkwing into a corner with 3 webs on him (I got a Falcons Claw). Since all his minions are Razorwings he cant do anything to me. However, I cant deal 6 damage during one attack, which I would need in order to get through his armor. And all our other heros are on the Revenge which is behind some rubble at the other side of the board and they cant even dream of getting close.

I cant go back to the boat in order to get better ranged weapons, because the OL has got around 50 threat and if darkwing ever gets unwebbed he can move through the entire board and onehit/kill Zyla (we ve got a Houserule that, similar to Avatars, heroes cant be completely immune to a LTs attack).

I also cant stack unlimited webs on him, because I can only attack him once per turn (because if I stay next to him he will kill me with his next attack) and statistically, as soon as he gets more than 3 webs he'll roll a Surge and get rid of one.

So I cant deal damage to Darkwing, he cant move and cant deal damage to me. Nobody wants to give up, because there is a city at stake. Great. Kinda reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MyZTPPgsZA

The sad thing is: my party is considering leaving the SoB for good, or rather bad, since our last gaming evening was really boring (we started it with trying rumor 8, imba shit as well).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maerlyn wrote:
Hi Guys,

we are currently playing our first SOB campaign (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/953324/sissies-in-the-sob-se...) and have run into a very stupid situation from which we cant find a way out.

We are playing our first encounter with a LT (something everybody warned us about). Its against Darkwing.

The really stupid situation is, that after 10 boring turns of chasing I (Zyla) have managed to lock Darkwing into a corner with 3 webs on him (I got a Falcons Claw). Since all his minions are Razorwings he cant do anything to me. However, I cant deal 6 damage during one attack, which I would need in order to get through his armor. And all our other heros are on the Revenge which is behind some rubble at the other side of the board and they cant even dream of getting close.

I cant go back to the boat in order to get better ranged weapons, because the OL has got around 50 threat and if darkwing ever gets unwebbed he can move through the entire board and onehit/kill Zyla (we ve got a Houserule that, similar to Avatars, heroes cant be completely immune to a LTs attack).

I also cant stack unlimited webs on him, because I can only attack him once per turn (because if I stay next to him he will kill me with his next attack) and statistically, as soon as he gets more than 3 webs he'll roll a Surge and get rid of one.

So I cant deal damage to Darkwing, he cant move and cant deal damage to me. Nobody wants to give up, because there is a city at stake. Great. Kinda reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MyZTPPgsZA

The sad thing is: my party is considering leaving the SoB for good, or rather bad, since our last gaming evening was really boring (we started it with trying rumor 8, imba shit as well).


Give up the city - this time at least.

If you aren't strong enough to stop Darkwind, then you aren't strong enough to stop Darkwind - and probably shouldn't be trying.
Of course, maybe you are, but just got a bad locations that took the other three heroes out of the game effectively. If so, so be it, shit happens. Its SoB, its hard for the heroes, who have to make tough choices and don't have full control over events, but often have to simply do the best thing they can right now, even if its not a good thing.

Sorry, but there it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
couple of other notes, just in case

maerlyn wrote:

We are playing our first encounter with a LT (something everybody warned us about). Its against Darkwing.


Probably the nearest thing to a broken Lt, in balance terms, if not gameplay. All soaring, including the Lt, with cheap reinforcements? And Knockback, to force heroes into the water? Insanity!

Quote:
The really stupid situation is, that after 10 boring turns of chasing I (Zyla) have managed to lock Darkwing into a corner with 3 webs on him (I got a Falcons Claw).


Are you applying the +4 range for Soaring?

Quote:
(we ve got a Houserule that, similar to Avatars, heroes cant be completely immune to a LTs attack).


Actually, thats the FAQ rule anyway (pg19).

Quote:
I also cant stack unlimited webs on him, because I can only attack him once per turn (because if I stay next to him he will kill me with his next attack) and statistically, as soon as he gets more than 3 webs he'll roll a Surge and get rid of one.


I don't understand this. Sure, the more webs you put on, the more some of them will come off. But having more than 3 is better than having 3, period.


Quote:
The sad thing is: my party is considering leaving the SoB for good, or rather bad, since our last gaming evening was really boring (we started it with trying rumor 8, imba shit as well).


Unfortunately, its as simple as this.
The heroes have limitations. You have to play within those. Trying to stop Darkwind before you have the capability just won't happen, no matter how much desire or commitment is there.
You'll need a solid set of feats and lots of potions prepared if you really want to take him on, and then not draw a location that pins the bulk of the heroes away from the fighting. If you ave the first, but not the second, then no choice but retreat and try again.

The game is very hard, and some areas are not particularly balanced at times, though that much is less certain. One of the major skills is knowing when to try something and when not to. So far, possibly, that skill has not been acquired, from what you say.
Not a criticism BTW, just pointing out the basic facts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Corbon, thanx for the superfast reply.

Dont worry, I am not lighthearted, so criticism, even if it's none, is very welcome

(BTW; ofc we play with soaring, although, and maybe thats a mistake, with +3 distance, meaning, if I am standing right next to the monster I need 4 range, 1 for the distance, plus 3 for the soaring, making it 4. is this how its supposed to work or not?)

My thoughts on this topic: we are ready. Basically Darkwind cant do shit do us, he cant move, and he cant really escape with Zyla beeing capable of moying 17 spaces, and with the boat anchored at the middle of the map. He also cant get near the boat, our ranger deals tons of damage and our mage has got a decent Breath Rune.

If Zyla had borrowed the Archers Charm right at the start of the map (together with the Falcon which is already at the place ofc) Darkwing would die a very very slow death, I would deal 0-1 damage every turn and if I dont roll like 3 misses in a row he will stay webbed, but then again I could use some fatigue and attack him twice in a row to keep him webbed (and of course I try to put more webs on him, I just wanted to point out that, statistically, I cant web him there forever even if I attacked him an unlimited time, which I could do, theoretically).

So the thing is, Darkwing cant do shit, and is locked in a corner and, to my feelings, should die! Given unlimited time the heroes should be capable of getting there, I mean, its at the ocean and they got a boat! And there is a bird right in front of them locked in tons of webs. So if anyone should try to run it would be him, not us (I would love to add a smiley here which bangs his head against the wall, please imagine one, thanx).

Thanx anyway
Maerlyn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maerlyn wrote:
Hi Corbon, thanx for the superfast reply.

Dont worry, I am not lighthearted, so criticism, even if it's none, is very welcome :p

(BTW; ofc we play with soaring, although, and maybe thats a mistake, with +3 distance, meaning, if I am standing right next to the monster I need 4 range, 1 for the distance, plus 3 for the soaring, making it 4. is this how its supposed to work or not?)


+4 for soaring, so although you appear adjacent its actually 5 range needed.

Quote:
My thoughts on this topic: we are ready. Basically Darkwind cant do shit do us, he cant move, and he cant really escape with Zyla beeing capable of moying 17 spaces, and with the boat anchored at the middle of the map. He also cant get near the boat, our ranger deals tons of damage and our mage has got a decent Breath Rune.


Well, then whats the problem? Haul anchor and get them over and get the others engaged!
Rmemember, if you drew the wrong map then you should flee and try again. You clearly didn't 'entice' Darkwind in close enough before springing your trap. If you just didn't plan yor vessel moves right, then no one to balme, get out and try again if it can't be fixed.

You shouldn;t reasonably expect 1 hero who is weak in combat, to deal to a senior figure like a LT all on their lonesome.

Quote:
If Zyla had borrowed the Archers Charm right at the start of the map (together with the Falcon which is already at the place ofc) Darkwing would die a very very slow death, I would deal 0-1 damage every turn and if I dont roll like 3 misses in a row he will stay webbed, but then again I could use some fatigue and attack him twice in a row to keep him webbed (and of course I try to put more webs on him, I just wanted to point out that, statistically, I cant web him there forever even if I attacked him an unlimited time, which I could do, theoretically).


Except that sooner or later he's going to roll a whole heap of surges and bust free.

Quote:
So the thing is, Darkwing cant do shit, and is locked in a corner and, to my feelings, should die! Given unlimited time the heroes should be capable of getting there, I mean, its at the ocean and they got a boat! And there is a bird right in front of them locked in tons of webs. So if anyone should try to run it would be him, not us (I would love to add a smiley here which bangs his head against the wall, please imagine one, thanx).

Thanx anyway
Maerlyn


The heroes are capable of getting there - unless they are in a tricky map or they've gone too far past already and wind and current prevent them from doing so, in both of which cases, your point about boats and oceans doesn't hold, does it?

Zyla can't flutter along forever either.

And since darkwind has been trapped in the corner one assumes due to the vagaries of limited maps, its hardly fair to give the heroes the benefit of an unlimited map in order to get at him, is it?

And Darkwind is not helpless, and is still a big threat. At any moment he will roll a 1/81 or 1/243 and remove all the webs at once, and bam! zyla will be wasted and he can step off easy as, or not, as he chooses.

Of course, perhaps the heroes are scared because the moment they really go after him, draw close to the edge of the map, a hoard of reinforcing Razorwings will swoop on them out of no where, only a few catchable with Guards, and not with AoE?
Once again, its not that Darkwind is helpless, but that choices and consequences are being made and suffered!
Assumptions all round on my part of course...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.