Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet but I have 2 questions concerning the consulting firm.

1- if my understanding is correct, no one can earn 10 info during round 1, right?

2- if an opponent has a time marker in the top right space (10 info) why would anyone put one of his own time marker in the space on the left (6$)? It looks like you're actually helping your opponent earn 10 info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
I haven't played the game yet but I have 2 questions concerning the consulting firm.

1- if my understanding is correct, no one can earn 10 info during round 1, right?

Correct.

fardoche wrote:

2- if an opponent has a time marker in the top right space (10 info) why would anyone put one of his own time marker in the space on the left (6$)? It looks like you're actually helping your opponent earn 10 info.

You must place your marker in the top most open position. You only get the 10 info if there is a marker (of any player) in the column to the left of your marker. This means that the higher your marker on the ladder, the more likely you are to score it. If no-one plays into the left column, all the markers will sit in the right column, not gaining info.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:

1 is correct. For 2, you might be running low on time markers, but have one in consulting 2 or 3 rows down. You need it filled up to that row to get anything for yours. It becomes a game of chicken. But, even if you go in that first spot and help your opponent out, remember the tables well be turned next turn! You will have the first spot and can wait him out. A benefit of having more time markers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
...If no-one plays into the left column, all the markers will sit in the right column, not gaining info.

I seem to recall that the markers in the right column will not only not gain any information, they will be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paigew wrote:
fardoche wrote:

Correct.

fardoche wrote:

You must place your marker in the top most open position. You only get the 10 info if there is a marker (of any player) in the column to the left of your marker. This means that the higher your marker on the ladder, the more likely you are to score it. If no-one plays into the left column, all the markers will sit in the right column, not gaining info.

Make sense?

I think I got it. If no one puts a marker on the left side, the markers that were already there remain on the right forever? I was under the impression they were discarded at the end if eery round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. They get discarded every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Then I still don't get the tactical value of putting a marker on the consulting firm when an opponent is already present. It's like the marker on the right is screaming "put your marker on my left so my owner can earn 10 info. If you don't he will lose it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

Then I still don't get the tactical value of putting a marker on the consulting firm when an opponent is already present. It's like the marker on the right is screaming "put your marker on my left so my owner can earn 10 info. If you don't he will lose it."

If you go there this turn, then next turn you'll be the one who will get the info if anyone goes there. And if no one else goes there next turn, you can do it yourself. So you can guarantee you'll get 10 info next turn. Typically you end up going there yourself a bunch or alternating with another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn`t make sense to me until i played a game. As stated earlier, it`s like a game of chicken. If you go there first, then you hope someone else places to the left, so you receive 10 info. If you place on the left, it helps someone else, but then you will be moved over to the right, which willgive you the opportunity to receive 10 info. It is alot of info at once, and is worth the risk. Of course, if no one else places on the left when you are on the right, you can always place your own time marker on the left to help yourself. I believe others may jump in, so you are not converting 5 cash for 10 info each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played consulting firm was used quite a lot, as info is tighter than cash in this game (in our experience). It's an interesting minigame.

I really liked the approach of Ground Floor, where each section of the board is like a minigame, that combine together to power the overall game. It reminded me of Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, which I like for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe the Consulting Firm is a unique part of the game. Of course unique means that others might think differently. It really adds something new, different and unusual to the game. It ignites table talk, negotiation, sweet talk and back stabbing if any. This kind of mechanic surely lean towards the player's personal preference.

There are players who like games with the core mechanic like this but find it hard to accept in this game, maybe because the overall nature of the game (a euro economic game).
But then again, some find this to be an entertaining part on the game.

The first player to place his TM on this place, takes a great risk but also start the long deliberate table talk among players that followed him after. Of course if you don't want your TM and money to be wasted, you'll place another ones to ensure it produces info like planned.

If you place below the firs place, you might need to take the worst case that you're on your own in this and need to invest something extra to cover your TM for being wasted instead gaining 10 info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
You worst case scenario is spending $7 for 10 info per turn + $7 initial spending, meaning it will, over a course of 7 turns, earn you +2 resource a turn, resulting in 14 extra resource (info in this case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foksieloy wrote:
You worst case scenario is spending $7 for 10 info per turn + $7 initial spending, meaning it will, over a course of 7 turns, earn you +2 resource a turn, resulting in 14 extra resource (info in this case).

And that's why I love this game: there are multiple avenues for earning $ and info. Consulting is potentially a wonderful way to convert $ to info at a great exchange rate, provided someone else goes in with you. Even if they don't, if you're willing to spend the extra time and $6 to come in after yourself, it's typical that through sales of product you will have more money than info, so conversion is necessary to keep both currencies level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.