Pax Baltica» Forums » Rules

Subject: PRUSSIA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Posner
Australia
flag msg tools

Hi
I'm in the middle of a war fighting as the coalition. My opponent and I have some queries abut Prussia. Firstly, when Prussia is activated on the coalition side, what happens to the Prussian army piece? Is it:
1) placed face down with the rest of the Saxon army replacements and has to be selected at random during the RP interphase (at no RP cost to the Saxons of course)? OR
2) automatically activated and placed on the map board in one of the three Prussian territories?

I ask this because the rules specifically state that some nations' forces come on immediately when activated. Prussia does not. We chose option 1. This meant that until I selected Prussia at random, I had no Prussian army. Were we right?

Secondly, if Saxony is knocked out of the war, but Prussia has not been, AND the dastardly Swedes have managed to annhilate the Prussian army (this happened to me), what happens to the Prussian army piece at the next RP interphase? Does it automatically come back at full strength in Prussia?

Thanks - enjoying game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A sentence seems to be missing from the section on Prussia. It is intended to work like Hannover, i.e. the block is deployed at full strength immediately upon activation.

Sorry about the error. This should clear up the rest of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Posner
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks, that does make more sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Walters
England
Orpington
Kent
flag msg tools
Not sure this fully covers your second question though, John. The way I've been playing it is that if Prussia's block is destroyed then it invokes the truce rule 10.2 (all a nation's blocks destroyed) and the two Prussian areas become neutral and cannot be entered. This actually happened in a game so I placed the block four years ahead on the track to show when Prussia could potentially reactivate. Whether this is the correct interpretation or not I don't know but it made sense while playing.

As a supplementary question, if Prussia successfully sieges Pommern then I assume it places a grey cube to denote control and it would only be removed if Saxony came under truce or Sweden got control back of course? This makes the assumption that Prussia or even Hanover essentially sieges on behalf of Saxony.

Basically I'm interpreting that Saxony, Prussia and Hanover are all separate nation states, so that it's possible that either Prussia and/or Hanover can be active while Saxony is not. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil, you have it all correct in your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Posner
Australia
flag msg tools
Neil, Scott

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. I had forgotten about the truce rule when I emailed my second query. However, I do still have a further query about Prussia (based on your response and Neil's comment). Prussia has its own black cubes to denote it has taken the Pommern garrison. Assume it has done so and the garrison has a black Prussian block on it. Therefore, even if Saxony is knocked out,but the Prussian army has not been destroyed (i.e still on mapboard), wouldn't Prussia still retain its garrison in Pommern?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The black cubes are not for Prussia, they are used on the year track, season track, and attrition track. Prussia uses grey Saxon cubes for garrisons. By the rules, these would be removed if Saxony entered truce. I could overrule this to make better historical sense, but I'm not sure it's worth it, and it would require new components and farther-reaching changes. It might be easier to add a rule that Prussia and even Hannover make peace if Saxony does. Historically it is doubtful they would have moved against Sweden without Saxony.

For now, play by the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Posner
Australia
flag msg tools
Point taken. Thanks for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Walters
England
Orpington
Kent
flag msg tools
An interesting situation may arise where Prussia successfully sieges Pommern following a Saxon truce. Is a grey cube placed in Pommern thereby reducing Sweden's RP even though the grey cubes aren't strictly speaking in play? Nothing in rules to prevent this as far as I can see but it feels odd. Scott's comment that Prussia and/or Hanover would be unlikely to continue the fight against Sweden without Saxony certainly rings true. But in keeping with the current rules as Scott suggests, I would be tempted to house rule that the Prussian and Hanover blocks cannot attack or siege, but can only defend. This would satisfy the above anomoly and still provides some nuisance value that appeals to me! If all else fails they can always submit voluntarily at the next interphase.

I'm having great fun with this game. Definitely one of the very best block games I've ever played. Pity it doesn't seem to be getting as much attention as it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil, what you say is true, and it's an anomaly I will have to close. I think the rule change that will do the least violence is to have Hannover and Prussia make peace if Saxony does. I will issue a ruling after I consult with the designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klippe
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

I´m new to this game and I have read all threads on this forum to make sure I understand everything correct. Then I read this thread and it seems to have a "lose end"...
To Scott, do you have any final on this one?

I must say that it´s a great game that I can´t be without as a swede

Thanks for all help to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind comments, Michael.

July was a very busy month for me, but in the coming weeks I will be assembling the living rules update for Pax Baltica.

I have not yet consulted the original designers on the Prussia question here, but until I do I think it is safe to play that Prussia and Hannover make peace when Saxony does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
11.7: The only territory where the Prussian block may attack or declare a siege is Pomorze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan R
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
But: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/922064/prussia-pommern
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Juppe58 wrote:

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Baader
Germany
Babenhausen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, so former version: "The only territory where the Prussian block may attack or declare a siege is Pomorze."

Corrected version: "The only territory where the Prussian block may attack or declare a siege is Pommern."

But in both cases, wouldn't that mean that Prussia isn't allowed to attack or declare a siege in PRUSSIA?

Let's say the Swedes take Magdeburg... there is a Swedish garrison marker at Magdeburg. According to the wording of that rule, Prussia isn't allowed to take Magdeburg back. It may only declare siege in Pommern.

Is that really intended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baader the Great wrote:
Okay, so former version: "The only territory where the Prussian block may attack or declare a siege is Pomorze."

Corrected version: "The only territory where the Prussian block may attack or declare a siege is Pommern."

But in both cases, wouldn't that mean that Prussia isn't allowed to attack or declare a siege in PRUSSIA?

Let's say the Swedes take Magdeburg... there is a Swedish garrison marker at Magdeburg. According to the wording of that rule, Prussia isn't allowed to take Magdeburg back. It may only declare siege in Pommern.

Is that really intended?

No, Prussia can fight in its own territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Baader
Germany
Babenhausen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought so.

However, according to the wording of that rule, it can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the rule changed. I will add this to the list for the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Baader
Germany
Babenhausen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I really like the game. It's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
The black cubes are not for Prussia, they are used on the year track, season track, and attrition track. Prussia uses grey Saxon cubes for garrisons. By the rules, these would be removed if Saxony entered truce. I could overrule this to make better historical sense, but I'm not sure it's worth it, and it would require new components and farther-reaching changes. It might be easier to add a rule that Prussia and even Hannover make peace if Saxony does. Historically it is doubtful they would have moved against Sweden without Saxony.

For now, play by the rules as written.

There is an extra black cube supplied with the GMT edition. Prussia using this extra cube to mark Stralsund intrigues me and I think I will include Feuchtwanger's (mis)interpretation as a "house-rule variant". The cube would remain as long as Prussia is active. I think it reflects Prussia's rising power and the decline of the Swedish Empire in German territory. And besides, why not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.