Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my girlfriend's day off and I made her play a game. Usually, she's into lighter euro's but I can usually sell her on a game with lots of theme.

I recently acquired Aliens at a bargain price. After seeing the components, playing it solo, then playing it online, I resolved to sell/trade to pull in a profit of sorts.

I wasn't impressed at all.

So today, when I see she's not really into playing a long, drawn out game, something told me to break out Aliens and give it a whirl. I gotta tell you I wasn't expecting much.

We set up the Reactor scenario, putting the marines and aliens into their bases and reading the rules summary. Having super easy rules was the first good point.

I pretty much blast her with Hudson quotes as we begin. Right away, I see my girlfriend's interest beginning to pick up. Point #2 as she's remembering the movie.

Right off the bat, Hudson's whiny ass gets whacked as a turn 1 alien jumps on him. We're down 1 marine before we have a chance to move.

I have 4 marines left, she has her 4. We start to move. With most marines having 2 actions, and moving ONE space takes a whole action, there are no sprints for the door. Every die roll is tense and cinematic.

Bugs pop out all over.

Apone burns a bug from one space away.

We cheer every time a bug spawns across the room and moan when they're blocking the exit.

Wierzbowski gets saved by Vasquez shooting her machine gun from seemingly across the board.

Later, Vasquez gets snatched while Wierzbowski dies attempting to save her back.

Dietrich gets incapacitated and Drake picks her up and pulls her out the exit door.

We held our breath when a bug died and sprayed its acid blood on two marines. Luckily, neither was hurt.

On two occasions, my girlfriend won a melee, stunning a bug long enough for it to be shot.

Crowe, wounded and armed with only a pistol, managed to limp to the exit and make it out.

In the end, we only lost three marines; Hudson, Vasquez and Wiersbowski. I honestly felt kinda sad. Each character came alive within the game and I wanted them all to survive.

I guess it's too much to ask if every board game could come with an awesome movie.

I like this game and I won't be trading it anytime soon.

+++
Easy entry rules - I plan to take this to a gaming event soon

The simple combat is a plus too

Lots if flavor text, pictures from the movie and theme

The character cards are great.

---
The marine and alien tokens are poor

Only 3 scenarios

Map board is simple poster stock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. I may have to look into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this hundreds of times back in high school - Aliens was my favorite movie, so back when this game came out, I bought a copy, and the expansion, and all the miniatures (which conveniently are to scale to the map and spaces).

So much fun, but it really helps if you're familiar with the movie, because you can draw on the characters actions in the film to really get that investment in their well-being in the game - you sort of know who everyone is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Check out the Flash game, it represents the boardgame quite accurately and has a lot of flavor (movie music, sounds, quotes, etc). It definitely will tell you if you'd like the boardgame version or not.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Check out the Flash game, it represents the boardgame quite accurately and has a lot of flavor (movie music, sounds, quotes, etc). It definitely will tell you if you'd like the boardgame version or not.

-shnar

Seconded on the Flash game - really excellent quality, and extremely faithful to the boardgame. The sound effects are a really nice touch, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.