Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad
United States
Elsmere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to start by saying that I am a huge card game fan. I love quick small games and card games usually best fill this area. I saw this game and the cover immediately caught my attention. It had some cool cover art and the game description sounded awesome. I could not wait to try this game!

The game starts with 32 double sided time line cards layed on the table in 4 rows of 8 cards. The 32 cards are layed out each describing something that really happened in history. On the backside of each card is an alternate history.

Each player starts with a mission card in their hand of what they want history to look like. On your card is three pieces of history that are a combination of real and alternate history. Also, on your mission card is three artifacts through time. Instead of putting the timeline in the order of your card yu can collect the three artificats listed to win. There was a third way of winning by collecting 10 cards in your hand but I never saw this happen so can't discuss it.

The basic game idea is to draw a card and play a card or discard one. The whole time you are trying to get the right cards you need to alter the timeline while your opponets do it too. You have to hope that your opponets help you out by unknowingly alternating the timeline the way you need it or you will be waiting a long time for an inverter card. Oh, and to alter the time line on some cards it could mean you have to alter one, two or even three other cards.

The game is too time consuming with hoping that your opponets do the right thing to help you. Each time I played nobody ended up getting the right timeline on their cards. Each game ended because somebody won by getting the three artifcats on their card. Winning by getting artifcats is extremely easier than getting the right timeline.

The main thing I learned from this is don't judge a book by its cover. Cool cover art and a cool game description does not always equal a cool game. I would love to be able to alter time on this game and go back leaving this on the shelf and buy something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us how you really feel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten the right timeline quite a few times in my games.

Not trying to negate your review. Just saying I have seen it happen often enough that I'm not surprised by it.

That said, I also think it's weird that you completely glossed over the other paths to victory the game offers. It's true that you might not get your proper timeline, but the other paths are valid and rewarding.

Just seems weird to dislike the game because you're fixated on the timeline goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the game, but admittedly it can be a little long and random sometimes. Have you considered playing it solitaire? I prefer that style myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play with the "give everything to your left-hand neighbor" kind of cards. To me, that makes the game much better.
(Same thing with the Back to the Future card game...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bingo-while-laughing game. Usually, you play what you can and in the middle of everything, you vaguely try to steer it in the direction you want to.

Playing this game to win from the start makes it a stinker. You have to start out like it's a party game where nothing matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever one might say about this review, the title is a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, "Flux Crapacitor" would have been much more clever.

Quote:
I never play with the "give everything to your left-hand neighbor" kind of cards. To me, that makes the game much better

I agree. Those are my #2 despised game-mechanic of all-time to pseudo-hidden open public information. Even Time Vortex is basically overly-random BS. Take out those cards and you have a pretty good light game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried this as a 2-player contest and it was a real yawner. Trying to win with the timeline? Spend all day digging through either the discard or draw piles searching for the two patches you need in order to get your alternate histories correct. But while you're doing that, your opponent keeps restoring the one card that flips the two you need to patch.

I saved JFK, flipping 1968 and 1969. After that, I was just digging for the patches for those years. Meanwhile, my opponent kept reversing the JFK card, forcing me to kill him off again.

The worst was when I had 1969 patched and was still looking for the 1968 patch. My opponent restored JFK, sending my 1969 patch to the discard pile so that I had to find BOTH patches all over again.

I finally (after almost an hour) won because I was lucky enough to draw two Quick Trips into the Future into my hand at the same time. I played them on consecutive turns to get my patches from the draw pile, and my opponent failed to resurrect JFK in between those two turns, finally allowing somebody to win and end the yawnfest.

It was just draw cards until somebody wins. There are way too many "random chaos cards" in this game. Steal an artifact, dig a card out of the draw pile, dig a card out of the discard pile, trade hands with your opponent, etc.

It's got to better with more people (more players to inadvertently help you), but it's awful for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.