Subject: New to the tabletop scene, looking for some recs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Walsh
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
So my friends have decided to introduce me to this wonderful world and now I'm hooked. Thanks guys. Anyway, I was hoping for some recommendations. I've really enjoyed Super Dungeon Explore, Elder Sign, and Sentinels of the Multiverse thus far. Not sure if that will help with suggestions, but I'm hoping for things in the same vein or whatever you might think I'll enjoy based on my preferences.

So, any ideas? c:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this list I've made, I am sure you will find something

Thematic games with top notch components

Let me know if anything jumps out at you. Also how many players do you expect, same as game time requirements.

Here are some must haves in my book:

Ghost Stories
Seasons
Cyclades
Elder Sign
Mage Knight Board Game
Lords of Waterdeep
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Walsh
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
Great, thanks! I'll check it out. And we usually have about 4-5 players in total. Any more and we usually bust out the Cards Against Humanity type games.

Time isn't much of an issue either.

Agents of SMERSH is something I keep seeing around.

I was told Arkham Horror was a sort of spiritual successor to Elder Sign? As in, same theme and characters and such? Someone showed it to me and I was immediately overwhelmed. Should I give it a try anyhow?

Descent is something I've been meaning to look into as well. I've been told it's generic? Don't know much about it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated my other post with some games perhaps look at A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game or Darkest Night (First edition) if you are interested in Arkham Horror. Both are better games IMHO.

Also Shadows over Camelot, Dungeon Run, and King of Tokyo are great hits with bigger groups

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards: Iliad 2 - 6 players
Boardgame: Legends of Andor 2 - 4 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics- coop, dungeon crawler style, awesome components/artwork, fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion? Check out my collection - you sound like my sort of boardgamer

I'd have to agree with the suggestions of Last Night on Earth, Mice and Mystics & King of Tokyo - all worth every cent you spend on them!

(To make it easy for you, click here)

Send me a geekmail if you'd like to discuss anything in detail Welcome aboard! My condolences to your wallet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShiftyPowers57 wrote:

I was told Arkham Horror was a sort of spiritual successor to Elder Sign? As in, same theme and characters and such? Someone showed it to me and I was immediately overwhelmed. Should I give it a try anyhow?

Arkham Horror came before Elder Sign. Elder Sign tends to be touted as Arkham Horror distilled down, but in my opinion they are two completely different games besides for all of the dice rolling.

Is there something in particular that you are looking for? Are you more interested in theme or mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Haight
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It's not hipster if you were REALLY there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShiftyPowers57 wrote:
So my friends have decided to introduce me to this wonderful world and now I'm hooked. Thanks guys. Anyway, I was hoping for some recommendations. I've really enjoyed Super Dungeon Explore, Elder Sign, and Sentinels of the Multiverse thus far. Not sure if that will help with suggestions, but I'm hoping for things in the same vein or whatever you might think I'll enjoy based on my preferences.

So, any ideas? c:

It looks like you have already gotten into some games with complex mechanics, great for you! I have some recommendations that I have seen very popular in m y game clubs and communities among new gamers and experienced gamers alike. yes, some of these names are all over the place, but there is a reason and that reason is that some of these games are damn good after all these years.

Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
San Juan
Citadels
Aquadukt
Quiddler and Five Crowns
Tsuro
Forbidden Island
Zombie Dice
Apples to Apples
Puerto Rico
Small World
Ad Astra
Powergrid
Alhambra
Acquire
Dominion
Munchkin
Gioullitine
Fluxx
Chrononauts

There are many many more as this site shows, but these are good mainstays that got much much use in our game times by new and old players all even as other games were played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.