16 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: LNOE not fun with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toñia
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I've done some searching around but haven't found this question answered directly and was wondering if it's just my partner and I. Every time we play LNOE (just 2 players), we feel like the Hero's always have the advantage. Is there something else that could be done to make the game more challenging? I don't have any expansion packs so I'm wondering if that may be the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all but yes the game really comes into fruition with the expansions. Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger and Last Night on Earth: Survival of the Fittest are must haves. There are new zombies and cards to add to both decks to balance things out. There could be some rules you are doing wrong which is causing issues as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecelia Miller
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just you. I can't comment on the expansions, but my husband and I also found playing two players with the base game to be lackluster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilovesparrows wrote:
It's not just you. I can't comment on the expansions, but my husband and I also found playing two players with the base game to be lackluster.

More players isn't the issue, Growing Hunger really is a must have. The game is so much better with it. My girlfriend kicks my butt as the zombies all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players shouldn't affect the difficulty much at all, since you always have four heroes and the same pool of zombies. Which scenario you choose to play will affect the difficulty, however. Have you tried the "Defend the Mansion" scenario? I found that one to be the hardest for the heroes, out of the base game's selection.

I'd disagree that the expansions are absolutely essential -- I had just the base game for a long time and enjoyed it immensely -- but they are excellent additions if you want more variety. They include some great scenarios and a "dot system" that you can use to balance the game in favour of either the hero or the zombie players.

Go for Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger first, if you're into the idea of expanding the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to check out this Zombie strategy guide, from the game's strategy forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toñia
msg tools
I'm not going to lie, we're really new to gaming but we love it. We did try Defend the Mansion and I think we played it wrong. Do the zombies move toward the mansion when they aren't moving toward a hero? We were under the impression that the zombies must always move towards the hero so obviously they can't just wander into the mansion by themselves. About half-way in though it became obvious that the mansion was just always avoided and then it became super easy for the heroes to just run around the board and avoid going into the mansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intheend wrote:
I'm not going to lie, we're really new to gaming but we love it. We did try Defend the Mansion and I think we played it wrong. Do the zombies move toward the mansion when they aren't moving toward a hero? We were under the impression that the zombies must always move towards the hero so obviously they can't just wander into the mansion by themselves. About half-way in though it became obvious that the mansion was just always avoided and then it became super easy for the heroes to just run around the board and avoid going into the mansion.

That's a big mistake right there. Zombies only have hunger when one square (adjacent)from the heroes otherwise the zombie player can move them however they want. Time to go replay and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The zombies are only affected by "zombie hunger" if they're in a square adjacent to a hero. So yes, it sounds like you were playing it wrong! Unless the zombies are right next to a hero, they're free to march on in to the centre of the board.

It is actually a good strategy for the heroes to try to lure the zombies away from the mansion using zombie hunger, but they risk getting munched on every time they try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toñia
msg tools
Ahhh! I completely misunderstood. I will play it again.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense because it'll be easier to overwhelm one hero with a hoard of zombies. The way I was playing it always gave the heroes the advantage because they were able to fend off the zombies way too easy.

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trigs Trigglor
msg tools
intheend wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've done some searching around but haven't found this question answered directly and was wondering if it's just my partner and I. Every time we play LNOE (just 2 players), we feel like the Hero's always have the advantage. Is there something else that could be done to make the game more challenging? I don't have any expansion packs so I'm wondering if that may be the problem.

i play with two players a lot (gf and myself). we've actually taken the style of both of us playing the heroes and the zombies (i.e. we're each in control of two heroes and 7 zombies). we always play to what is in the best interest of the hero/zombie on their individual turns. we find it fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have never really found that LNOE ever gave an overall advantage to either side. Me and my gaming group play this game regularly and the game usually is close and comes down to the last couple of turns.

In terms of "fun" for two players, it depends on what you are looking for when playing a game. LNOE is best played when the players want to play a game with a good narrative and lots of theme. What I love about this game is that it plays out just like a b-grade zombie movie. If you look at it this way, it doesn't matter which side wins, everyone just enjoys playing their "roles" in the game.

If you derive your enjoyment from learning advanced strategies and dominating your opponents, then LNOE doesn't do that as well as other games. It just really depends on what you are in the mood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
romulusmaximus wrote:

In terms of "fun" for two players, it depends on what you are looking for when playing a game. LNOE is best played when the players want to play a game with a good narrative and lots of theme. What I love about this game is that it plays out just like a b-grade zombie movie.....

This game did not pass the "WIFE TEST". She also felt that the game wasn't a "run around and do a lot of stuff" game...so it was a little too slow for her. And, it didn't have the depth of strategy like a Catan (another game we play). And, she couldn't appreciate the theme of killing zombies with a flare gun, the anticipation of blowing up a can of gasoline, or running head strong into a horde of zombies with nothing but a baseball bat. At least not as much as I do!
A lot of the fun of the game is having the different players play out their character and run away leaving a Sally to fight the zombies on her own, or seeing someone run out of ammo just when 5 zombies appear out of nowhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
My girlfriend love it! She loves being the zombies. The game was pretty intense. I will use the Growing Hunger expansion now. Give it a try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alky Yance
msg tools
mbmbmb
In my experience, it really depends on what those two players want. When I play it with my nephew, my objective is to compete and be challenged in a strategic way and unfortunately we're just not in the same strategic level so it's not that fun, I manage to beat him handily unless we're playing a scenario that gives him an advantage. Sometimes I even get frustrated (sad to admit) as there are times when he doesn't even look like he's trying, like when he charges a poorly equipped, almost dead Hero against a horde of Zombies.

It's different when playing with my girlfriend. Usually, my objective is to scare her and keep her pressured, so I always play the role of the zombies. I tease her all throughout the game - I always yell "ONE" when she's rolling dice for crucial moments and we laugh out loud when she actually rolls a one. Whenever her Heroes win, I'm happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.