Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Target has a collapsible 6ft table on sale for $32 right now. Also check out CoolStuffInc.com for your gaming needs. Best prices hands down, great customer service and free shipping on orders over $100

I made a couple of geek lists of games that will be right up your alley:

Thematic games with top notch components

Solo/co-op games that look as awesome as they are to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Jared!

Admittedly I'm not much of a dungeon crawler style gamer (though I should give them a go more).

However a couple of suggestions that may help:

- reviewers etc.. If you haven't come across it yet check out the dice tower on YouTube. Lots of good reviews and good comparisons. The other one I watch heavily via YouTube is called WatchItPlayed. They're not reviews but a series of games played through which hopefully will give a good appreciation for what the game is like.

- For single player games / co-ops, Pandemic is definitely a good call. It was the game that changed my tune about co-op games (originally felt they were for kids..and wow was I wrong!).Flash Point: Fire Rescue is the other one you mentioned and I actually enjoy it a bit more than Pandemic but that really comes down to preference not anything in particular. A third single player/co-op that may give a bit of dungeon feel (but not exactly) is Elder Sign. This is based in the same mythos as Arkham Horror but a bit quicker to get into as far as I understand (I've yet to play Arkham myslef but hope to soon enough)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best two dungeon crawlers I have played are:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark

and its latest incarnation:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Though I must say I am not a fan of the level of streamlining in 2.0 and therefore prefer to play the first edition.

You could also check out:

Mice and Mystics

It feels like a blend between a dungeon crawling board game and an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Defenders of the Realm...it's kinda like a fantasy version of Pandemic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! You'll notice at the top of the screen at tab that says RPGs - that's where all of the role-playing games hang out. If you're interested in playing an RPG (D&D or other) in a play-by-forum game, you might check out

2013 RPG Geek Newbie Play-by-Forum Sign-up

to get some information on how it works. When you get to know people, you may find a real-time game played by Skype, or a host of other options. People also play more board type games online. There's a whole subforum devoted to computer based board gaming that may interest you:

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/28/boardgamegeek/computer-bas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Co-op fantasy that is more up to date (and less money to get into) than Defenders of the Realm is Legends of Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Im still fairly new myself, so I can't help much in the way of dungeon crawlers. However, I always always recommend Flash Point: Fire Rescue if it fits someones criteria, so I'm glad to see you already were considering it! Its one of our favorite games, by far. As far as bang for your buck goes, its only about 30 bucks. In addition to that, expansion boards run you about 10-15 bucks, although I believe they are in between printings right now, but should be back out later this year. They just did a great job with the kickstarter campaign for the upcoming expansion Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Dangerous Waters. So, basically, its an awesome game and you will most likely enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
Welcome Jared!

One big word of advice would be to not feel that you have to buy dozens of games right away to enjoy the hobby. There are a lot of games out there that play similarly (e.g. Pandemic and Flash Point: Fire Rescue). Take your time exploring the hobby and digging into what each game has to offer. Most gamers develop a strong sense of what they like quickly. Alternatively, if you want to try a great variety of games, find a game group (maybe meetup.com or a local store?), so you can have others teach you new games and curate for you... Either strategy will save you from a lot of silly purchases.

For the dungeon crawler, I'd recommend Descent: The Road to Legend. Even better might be one of the recent ad&d games like Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. You can easily play these solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a great coop game with a relatively small footprint. We've played it as a group, and the BGG page for it shows that it can also be played solo. If you get too good at the original layout of tiles, there are plenty of variants. The artwork is very nice too.

Forbidden Desert, by the same designer, is coming out soon. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - and welcome! I don't have any particular games suggestions - but I thought it worth mentioning Starlit Citadel Reviews, in case you hadn't found them yet. In my opinion, the clearest, most succinct, and accurate reviews I've come across (i.e. I find myself agreeing when they're talking about games I've played/own, so trust them on the ones I don't; admittedly that is a highly subjective definition of accurate!) - definitely a good place to start if looking into different games; there are a number of reviews there for different dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you really like the fantasy theme and variety then I would second Defenders of the Realm over Pandemic. Pandemic is the cleaner design and easier to learn and teach (fewer rule exceptions) but the roles only offer limited variety from game to game. The expansion for Pandemic is very good but it mostly adds more difficulty. The different heroes in DotR, however, all play quite differently.

2) I'd hold off on Mage Knight until you have a better sense of what you like. I think it's an amazing solo game, but it's definitely not to everyone's taste. It's an adventure game where you level up and fight monsters, yet the dice are basically replaced with math. There's some exciting moments but mostly you stare at the board and try to figure out your best move and then you do it.

3) You might look at Gears of War. In my opinion it plays pretty similar to the D&D Adventure games.

4) Ghost Stories is probably my favorite co-op where you are constantly putting out fires all over the board (like Flash Point or Pandemic). The rules can be confusing at first but it's not a terribly complicated game once you figure it out.

5) It's easy to use up your available storage space in no time. Enjoy your games before buying a bunch more. Maybe one or two of the games you are interested in will go out of print while you are enjoying something else but don't let it push you into buying everything you think you might want "just in case." There are no "must-have" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you in California?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

I'm a little skeptical to say. Do you mind telling me why?

I will tell you I live up north for now.

Hes a Martian. He wants to disintigrate you of course... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

If you run your mouse over the flag next to his name you'll see he's in Oakland. A TON of people use this site to find gamers to play with. It's how I found my regular groups, met tons of nice people, and I can't recommend looking for people around you enough. Every single interaction I've had with users of this board in real life has been a great experience.

People I know just through the forums, however.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Jared!

Since you have a lean towards Dungeon crawlers/co=op games, I would suggest, as have others, the D&D line of board games. In particular:
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game,
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game(which I see you have ordered)
and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

The good thing about these three games is that the tiles, cards, heroes and monsters are all compatible with each game. If you enjoyed Dungeon you should certainly enjoy these.

There are also some small, skirmish games released recently from D&D that also double as having components that are compatible with the aforementioned trio of dungeon crawlers...and the skirmish games are quite fun as well. Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr and Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolthare the first two of these skirmish dungeon crawlers.

If you would be interested in the card-side of gaming, Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin is a nice sort of co-op card game in a fantasy setting that permits you to fight monsters while improving your hero. It has a couple of expansions to add to it, and it is compatible with earlier editions of which there are several.

Although I do enjoy Defenders of the Realm, it is not a dungeon crawler, but it is a good co-op game in a fantasy setting.

Have fun and welcome to the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Aanlaien wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

If you run your mouse over the flag next to his name you'll see he's in Oakland. A TON of people use this site to find gamers to play with. It's how I found my regular groups, met tons of nice people, and I can't recommend looking for people around you enough. Every single interaction I've had with users of this board in real life has been a great experience.

I am a new user, although that off putting 'New User' banner has gone now and I didn't know the flags gave anything other than the country. When looking to see if someone lived near me I always went to their profile. That has been really useful too, but your tip is quicker , which is useful (BTW for Jared, you can get to someone's BGG profile by clicking on their User ID, and in my limited experience BGG users are great when you meet them too).

You can also subscribe to this forum so that you see other new users intro themselves and ask questions you may like to know the answers to. It's a more accessible way to learn the ropes than just using the wiki etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Aanlaien wrote:
Misterboy wrote:

And don't forget local sales and trades. And for the thrifters, we sometimes make or get calls at the thrift store saying, "I'm here and such-and-such game is here, do you want it?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
The best solo experience in any adventure game remains Magic Realm it is unparalleled, 16 unique characters, modular board, "modular" victory conditions. The game is OOP but I got each of my copies for around $50 on eBay. The game is complex and difficult to learn but the community is excellent, many resources are available and he veteran players are very gracious and eager to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to reiterate the warning given before: don't buy too many games too early.

I strongly recommend you look into local boardgame meetups where you might go to try several games. Explore a few genres. You may find that certain styles of game resonate for you more than others and it might surprise you.

If you really like games, there are probably a hundred you'd really love and be happy to own but the odds of you picking that hundred blindly is very slim. A big boardgame group is awesome for trying games and buying a game you've played once or twice is so much better than any amount of research.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultimate Noober
msg tools
Hi chaps,

I'm not sure what's happened to this thread, there seems to be posts missing (or I'm simply too stupid to work out how the forum works )

Anyway, I think the original question may have been similar to my question. I've only recently felt the urge to get involved in board games / card games. At 34 I've left it pretty late. I've always enjoyed turn based computer games (Civ + the new Xcom is great) and recently I picked up the Magic the Gathering game and then progressed to Magic Online. This has naturally progressed into an interest in CCGs, LCGs and boardgames however none of my friends would be interested in playing one so I'm on the hunt for solo play ones first.

I've been looking at the following games:

The Lord of the Rings Card Game - Seems similar to Magic and quite fun, lovely cards and deck building!

Gears of War - I quite enjoyed the computer game and this looks fun in a turned base game type way + plenty of scenarios to keep me entertained.

Ghost Stories - Seems like it's meant to have great solo play although I have to admit the garish colours don't really chime with me.

Space Hulk Death Angel - Looks like a fairly simple to play card game.

Zombicide - Expensive, but fun? And it has zombies.

Runebound - Looks pretty awful to be honest but the gameplay is apparently very good - questing!

Mage Knight - Seems like the sort of thing I'd probably enjoy but man it looks complex!

Any comments or ideas? I'll be heading to the shop tomorrow morning!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultimate Noober
msg tools
By the way I should say that I particularly enjoy card games, hence why I'm looking at the lord of the rings lcg for solo play. I'm not actually much of a fan of the fiction although I don't mind fantasy settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robes wrote:
Hi chaps,

I'm not sure what's happened to this thread, there seems to be posts missing (or I'm simply too stupid to work out how the forum works )

When an account is deleted, all contributions including forum posts are deleted as well. That looks like what's happened here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you particularly like card games, I would definitely check out Omen - like Magic, but better in my opinion! (certainly less ongoing expenditure). Just about to be re-released in a new version - check out this thread.

Ignore that - not solo; just re-read your post properly! Mage Knight, then, yes - good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robes wrote:
Hi chaps,

I'm not sure what's happened to this thread, there seems to be posts missing (or I'm simply too stupid to work out how the forum works :what: )

Welcome to the BGG.

Looks like the OP deleted all his posts or his whole account for reasons unknown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
the OP is gone
the last post on this thread was April 17
then there was 5 new posts today gulp

I will lock the thread here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.