Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion continues....

Ok, so the rules state that weapons checks are treated like combat, in that you can play combat command cards on them.

The rules also state than in system checks, players can play command cards against you.

But I can't quite find an exact statment in this cosmically awful rulebook that mention just how you go about playing combat cards against a player when they're attempting a weapons check somewhere.

Example: The klingon player is attempting the weapons check they need to pass the Distress Signal Persistant location card. As per any other weapons systems check, they juice up their chances by playing a combat card that helps them tweak up their weapons rating a bit.

The Starfleet player has "Sensor Pulse" which could let them cancel that card. But they don't have a ship at that location where the Klingon ship is. Does that mean they can't play that card?

I would assume not, since the Sensor Pulse card has a bracketed requirement that says the ship needs sensors at a certian level, which implies that the card is played on behalf of a ship.

Problem? Again, i can't find any place in the rules that explicitly states that effects of combat command cards, and, I assume, other command cards, represent effects being generated on behalf of the ships themselves, and that you can't just play them on someone unless you have presence where you need them to kick in.

The rules just say that you can play cards on other players.

Grr...

Sure would be nice to play the game instead of having to trying to figure out how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, Page 26 wrote:
You may also use a Combat Card outside of combat if you are attempting a Weapons Test or Shields Test.

Sensor Pulse wrote:
COMBAT(Sensors 1): Your opponent's Combat card has no effect in this combat

OPS INTERRUPT(Sensors 1):Target ship in this or adjascent location receives -5 Sensors

You don't need specific rules when a simple better reading of the cards themselves, in addition with the rules as presented will do.

So first things first, you cannot play a combat card when an opponent is attempting a non-combat weapons or shields test. Only the player actually attempting the test gets to do that. You can only play ops cards against an opponent attempting to do a non-combat systems test, even if that test uses weapons or shields.

So your initial premise is wrong:
Quote:
The Starfleet player has "Sensor Pulse" which could let them cancel that card.

You can play Sensor Pulse for the ops effect in which case the card itself tells you if you need a ship in the location or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm slowly piecing it together now. Where I was getting confused was I assumed (incorrectly) that because you were allowed to play a combat card during a general weapons test of some kind, that meant ALL such occasions were still considered to be "Combat" when that term actually means two ships fighting. Knowing this is helping some of the pieces fall into place a bit more.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, from page 8 of the Rules:
Quote:
Step 3. Your opponent may play one Command Card from his hand to modify the System you are using. If you chose not to play a card in step
2, you may play a card now to respond to a card played by your opponent. (i.e. if you pass, and your opponent passes, you do not get to play
a card.)

And from page 25:
Quote:
Note: Any Command Card that does not specifically state that it refers to your opponents ship always refers to your ships only.

And, discussed in this rules forum a few times: it seems that as the game stands now, there are few opportunities when you can play a Command Card during your opponent's non-opposed System Tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Heath
United States
Firestone
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, remember the color of the effect is critical....

Red effects are "combat" cards and thus only allowed to be played by either side in an opposed combat test.... they can not be used for NON-COMBAT systems tests in say scan actions to complete a mission card....

OPS Cards in Green can simply be played at any time, unless a specific restriction is in parenthesis immediately following the words "Interrupt" i.e. (Scan Test), and an OPS can never be used in Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andro Hsu
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiroheatho wrote:
Also, remember the color of the effect is critical....

Red effects are "combat" cards and thus only allowed to be played by either side in an opposed combat test.... they can not be used for NON-COMBAT systems tests in say scan actions to complete a mission card....

Page 26 of the rulebook says:

"You may also use a Combat Card outside of combat if you are attempting a Weapons Test or Shields Test."

It seems pretty clear that there are non-combat systems tests where you can use combat card.

But then in the "Battle Stations" example on the same page:

"You could also play "Battle Stations" during an encounter that requires a Weapons Test, or any other situation that uses Weapons or Shields. [emphasis added]" cry

So could a combat card be used to boost the shields of a ship that is on the receiving end of an unfriendly Transporter Action? I interpret unfriendly Transporter Actions as regular, unopposed Systems Tests whose difficulty happens to be set to the shields rating of the target ship.

The "Battle Station" text seems less restrictive, as "any other situation that uses Weapons or Shields" includes all situations where "you are attempting a Weapons Test or Shields Test". But then why bury that in the example?

Also, "you may also use a Combat Card outside of combat if you are attempting a Weapons Test or Shields Test" is not the same as "you may only use a Combat Card outside of combat if you are attempting a Weapons Test or Shields Test" so it seems like the text in the actual rule paragraph is just one example of what you can do, whereas the text in the example paragraph is a broad, easy to interpret rule.

Terrible rulebook. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.