Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for quick/casual replacement for "Bang!" for smallish gaming group. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking around for quite a while, I picked up "King of Tokyo" a few months ago to alternate with "Bang!", and I have "Saboteur" in the wings when we take the plunge on that, but I'm wondering if there's something really great I'm overlooking.

Basically I have a small gaming group at work, could be anywhere from 3 to 6 people that get together over lunch and play something twice a week. "Bang!" is getting old, and we're all hoping for something new.

The restrictions are:

* Needs to play in under and hour, ideally under 45 minutes.
* Quick set up and small footprint are ideal. (What knocked Dominion off)
* Preferably a backstabbing/competitive element.

This group has grown pretty accustomed to trash talking and dominating others with "Bang!". So definitely looking for something along those lines. Preferably that plays a little quicker, and hopefully with some more variety.

Hoping to find that perfect game that I've been missing, thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a game that might suit is The Resistance - plays quickly in about 30-45 min, has lots of trashtalking and accusing and can accomodate 5-10 players in a small space.

Really plays best with 7-8 though IMO, and can't accomodate anything less than 5.

7 Wonders caters for 3-7, plays very quickly and is a lot of fun. However, it does take up quite a bit of table real-estate and the interaction is relatively low.

A game that is deliciously backstabby and actively encourages players to be awful to each other is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. I love it. Plays 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gross
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Junta: Viva el Presidente!. Might take a little too much space, and only up to 5P. Otherwise, should be a great fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 5+, i would suggest Shadow Hunters as a really great Bang replacement.

Another decent game with backstabbing is Cutthroat Caverns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One I purchased to replace Bang was Bacchus' Banquet. Just a deck, with hidden roles. Plays rather quickly. Only setup you need is who is going to be Caligula (the only non-hidden role). 5 players optimal, but good with 4 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Palastgeflüster

Really good! (language independent) Seriously, get it! Nice "take that" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale is a nice casual 3-6 player auction game that plays in 30 minutes. It's a must-have filler.

Sneaks & Snitches is a competing heist game that plays 2-5. Also 30 minutes or so.

Love Letter plays in 20 minutes and is light but generally well liked.

Biblios or Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game are both great auction games that play in 30 minutes; one cards and one dice. The only problem is that they max out at 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Backstabbing? Quick setup? Plays in a hour? Yeah, you're gonna wanna look at Intrigue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Backstabbing? Quick setup? Plays in a hour? Yeah, you're gonna wanna look at Intrigue!

Intrigue is a great game, but it can easily lead to arguments and hurt feelings in the wrong crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3-4, perhaps Monty Python Fluxx or Race for the Galaxy, although the RftG has little direct conflict.

For 5-10 players definitely The Resistance:Avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would do Love Letter for 3-4 players and Resistance for 5+. Both are great, cheap, and fit all your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Resistance

Also, take a look at Citadels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
TyDeL wrote:
I'm wondering if there's something really great I'm overlooking.

The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is too obvious?

Munchkin

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Lot of responses so quickly, thanks everyone!

LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Hah, I've heard a little about this game, I can't picture us all sitting around a table pointing guns at eachother at work though. Might pass the absurdity barrier.

losfp wrote:
I think a game that might suit is The Resistance - plays quickly in about 30-45 min, has lots of trashtalking and accusing and can accomodate 5-10 players in a small space.

Really plays best with 7-8 though IMO, and can't accomodate anything less than 5.

7 Wonders caters for 3-7, plays very quickly and is a lot of fun. However, it does take up quite a bit of table real-estate and the interaction is relatively low.

A game that is deliciously backstabby and actively encourages players to be awful to each other is Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. I love it. Plays 3-4 players.

Thanks for all of these rec's!

The Resistance, I had heard about this, but forgot about it. It sounds fun, like a slimmed down BSG. It's rare that we get that many players though, I'm going to grab it regardless with that price, if we ever do get that many players, I'll pull it out.

7 Wonders, I plan on picking up at some point, I dunno about for this situation though. Lack of player interaction doesn't really fit this group, and table realestate is an issue during lunch.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, I actually just ordered this game along with the 5-6 player expansion. I'm excited, I love all the concepts of how it plays. I wasn't planning on using it with the lunch-group though. Doesn't it take a while to setup? I guess I'll see when I get it, going to playtest it with my girlfriend, so I'll get a better idea of how it will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:

The Resistance, I had heard about this, but forgot about it. It sounds fun, like a slimmed down BSG.

Having played both, I recommend The Resistance:Avalon over the 'plain Resistance'. Avalon contains asymmetric character powers for some extra fun/complications. You can still play the plain resistance with it, but it's not so easy to do it the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
One I purchased to replace Bang was Bacchus' Banquet. Just a deck, with hidden roles. Plays rather quickly. Only setup you need is who is going to be Caligula (the only non-hidden role). 5 players optimal, but good with 4 as well.

Hah! This game looks great, I love the light-hearted aspect of it. I'm smiling just at the thought of explaining how we're going from shooting eachother in Bang! to eating ourselves to death in a Banquet.

I'm a little deterred by the lukewarm ratings and reviews on bgg, but unless something else really grabs me, I'll probably pick this up and give it a go.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

The Resistance, I had heard about this, but forgot about it. It sounds fun, like a slimmed down BSG.

Having played both, I recommend The Resistance:Avalon over the 'plain Resistance'. Avalon contains asymmetric character powers for some extra fun/complications. You can still play the plain resistance with it, but it's not so easy to do it the other way around.

Thanks for that! I noticed there were two and I was wondering if there was any difference in gameplay between the two. I think I enjoy the medeival setting a little more than the sci fi factions also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Maybe it is too obvious?

Munchkin

Bye
Thanee

I've played this a few times and really wasn't a fan of it. Games could get frustratingly long and drawn out. Maybe I just had unlucky games, or a bad group, but every time I played this people just got to the point where they wanted to quit and started helping others win just to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur 2.

I wouldn't play it with 3 but 5 is ok and you can do 4 or 6 with the Selfish Dwarf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Huberty (General Trashy Meeples the Ambigamer)
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Citadels, plenty of backstabbing/competition with a small footprint

Also, Bohnanza is a fun one that plays up to 7, not as much backstabbing but there is a good negotiation/trading element
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

This looks really great! I love the art style and poker theme. I'm wondering if it's a little too similar in playstyle to King of Tokyo though?

It looks really fun and I want it regardless. I'm just hesitant to pay another 30 bucks on a game that seems somewhat similar to a game I already own though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistergross wrote:
Take a look at Junta: Viva el Presidente!. Might take a little too much space, and only up to 5P. Otherwise, should be a great fit.

Thanks for this! I was grinning the entire time I was watching Tom Vassel's review. Cheap Sunglasses, El Presidente, LOVE the theme!

It might be slightly too involved, and have too many components for my lunch group, we'd be crammed in our little table (King of Tokyo already feels like too much), but I'm definitely getting this to play with my other group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.