Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Frikium
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After using super glue it often leaves a residue behind that one can easily wipe it off just by touching the affected areas. Of course it is near impossible to get all of it out of the recesses of the model. My question is, will this stuff affect paint on the model at all, or is there an easy way to wash it off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another glue question - is super glue the best choice? What about model glue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Alex - Superglue is paintable, and the residue won't affect the model, but you could always wash the model (in detergent) after gluing, before you start painting.

And even if it did, nobody would notice except a tiny handful of pros.
____

@Jeff - Superglue works just fine for the polyvinyl plastic that CMoN-published games use. Polystyrene cement won't do anything. PVC dope should be OK, but I've not tested.

Personally, I prefer medium gel superglue (20-30 secs), with a tiny little bit of talcum powder worked in for a tougher, less brittle join.

The thin stuff runs too quickly and sets a little too fast for an accurate join (unless you're working with pin syringes for capillary action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harmon
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wash them with a little dish soap and water. You do not want to prime your miniatures over the residue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true you can wash the models after gluing. Be careful you don't weaken the bond though. Keep the water warm not hot and try not to be too vigorous with the brush or whatever you use.

Personally I have never bothered washing miniatures again after gluing (I do it before assembly and flash cleanup etc) and just prime once the glue is set properly. Haven't seen any problems yet with plastics or metals - but obviously try to avoid over applying the stuff!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be priming the miniature before painting anyway which will cover up any of the residue. But it will not effect the paint. And superglue is the best thing for sticking together the plastic that CMON use. I would recommend Gorilla Superglue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite brand is Loctite and I prefer the Control Gel Super Glue. It doesn't run and has a pretty good drying time. The tip seems to work quite well too as the bottle can sit unused for a couple months or so and not dry up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Frikium
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
And another glue question - is super glue the best choice? What about model glue?

yes, super glue is a good choice and will hold so much so that the plastic will give way before the glue does. I recommend gorilla super glue as do others.

jonahmaul wrote:
You should be priming the miniature before painting anyway which will cover up any of the residue. But it will not effect the paint. And superglue is the best thing for sticking together the plastic that CMON use. I would recommend Gorilla Superglue.

I do prime, but since the residue wipes off so easily I was worried about any paint not sticking as well as it should. Sounds like I should suck it up and wash the minis first anyway...

Thanks Grau Geist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are priming the miniatures then I really wouldn't worry. I didn't clean the residue off any of my SDE miniatures, just primed and painted and they came out fine (in a shameless plug you can check out my PLOG with them). If the glue goes a little thick because you put too much on (which I manage to do quite a lot!) then just scrape it cleanly off with a modelling blade so that the area is flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.