Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Any differences other than the box between 2008 and 2011 printings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were there any changes at all to what is inside the box? Revisions or errata in rulebook or on cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
They made minor wording changes to like five cards, I think. Nothing significant changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Grey
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the two editions the alien art changed.

ie

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd bet they fixed the two Alien races who had their pictures reversed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

Probably not ... turns out Virus and Zombie are intentionally "backwards," meaning they gave the artist specific direction to make them look that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
They made minor wording changes to like five cards, I think. Nothing significant changed.

I'm hearing a lot of probably, probably not, and I thinks… can anyone actually confirm any changes definitively?

Even those card art pics just look like the same card with the color contrast and shading off between the photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I'm hearing a lot of probably, probably not, and I thinks…
Even those card art pics just look like the same card with the color contrast and shading off between the photos.

Looks to me like they replaced the image on that one alien sheet with the new box-cover artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I'm hearing a lot of probably, probably not, and I thinks… can anyone actually confirm any changes definitively?

I probably could tell you, I probably not get it right, I thinks I'll pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:

So does anybody have an actual example of a wording change made to any of the cards?

Bill Martinson wrote:

Looks to me like they replaced the image on that one alien sheet with the new box-cover artwork.

Oh, perhaps I misunderstood… so both the images above are of the new card art then? (both parasite cards above match the box cover no?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there are small differences. Look at the very bottom of the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:

It's cropped at a different point and I can certainly see that a great deal of touching up was done with texturing, shading, enhanced color… but it's also still from the same source image which you can see from the placement of the larger stars in the background of both.

So was the art for any other aliens updated as well?

Also I'm still eager to hear examples of any actual card text that was changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Drinkdrawers wrote:
It's cropped at a different point and I can certainly see that a great deal of touching up was done with texturing, shading, enhanced color… but it's also still from the same source image which you can see from the placement of the larger stars in the background of both.

First, the positions of the stars are irrelevant; every alien uses the same star background.

But anyway I think you're both right, based on an overlay analysis I just did in Photoshop.

It looks like they started with the original image and digitally painted over the top of it to add/change details. The basic metrics line up precisely, and some details are virtually identical between the versions; but certain other details are unmistakably altered, such as the Pacifist's upper lip and chin, and the spiderwebbish strands hanging from the Parasite's shell. The surface of the shell itself is perhaps the most obviously changed.

Clearly they started from the original, but it is now a different image due to the revisions.

Conclusion: They (a) felt their original box cover was too boring, so (b) decided to put an alien on the second-printing cover, then (c) chose Parasite because it depicts an "encounter" between two different aliens, and (d) decided they wanted to jazz up the image for cover use, then once that was done (e) decided to retroactively put it on the alien sheet as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

Probably not ... turns out Virus and Zombie are intentionally "backwards," meaning they gave the artist specific direction to make them look that way.

Where did you get that information? It's obviously a screw up, even if they later said, "We meant to do that."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
turns out Virus and Zombie are intentionally "backwards,"
Where did you get that information?

From the artist herself. On deviantart (http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Zombie-for-Cosmic-Encounter...), Felicia Cano posted the following:

feliciacano wrote:
Zombie has always been Zombie for me. The original art description called for a something that was NOT a horror movie type zombie. My concept was a transparent grub/slug that ate everything organic in it's path and has it's young ready to detach if there is any trouble. I was inspired by No-Face from Spirited Away, carnivorous plants and transparent animals (worms, ghost shrimp, larva etc).
I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. So FFG gave specific instructions to make Zombie not look like a zombie? And am I to presume they asked that the art for Virus not look anything remotely like a virus? And that it look more like a zombie?

Should I actually believe this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Weird. So FFG gave specific instructions to make Zombie not look like a zombie? And am I to presume they asked that the art for Virus not look anything remotely like a virus? And that it look more like a zombie?

You just read confirmation from the artist directly. What more could you need to "believe" it?

Further evidence is that the last version of virus also had tentacles so that seems consistent with whatever art direction the artist received as well. Even if it was more appropriate imo being non-humanoid.

For what it's worth though I don't think the current virus art looks any more like a zombie than the actual zombie art does just because it's humanoid. It's certainly Cthulhu like but that's something that has zero in common with classic or modern zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

You just read confirmation from the artist directly. What more could you need to "believe" it?

Well, if it made sense, that would help. Is there some reason to believe that artists and game-art-commissioners never lie? Especially when they've screwed up and it's too late to fix it?

They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Warrior not look like a warrior. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Sniveler not look like it's sniveling. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Amoeba not look like an amoeba. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Cryo not look like ice. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Barbarian not look like a barbarian. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Clone not look like it was cloned. They didn't give the artists instructions to make the Deuce not suggest the number two. Claw, Fido, Filth, Fungus, Glutton, Human, Leviathan, Machine, Macron, Mind, Mimic, Mirror, Plant, Shadow, Tripler.

But on Zombie and Virus, they specifically wanted them to no look like what they are. It doesn't pass the smell test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
It doesn't pass the smell test.

laugh Methinks you need to get your olfactory meter checked then.

Repeating a single idea 30 different ways doesn't make it any more accurate or likely either.

FFG deciding that an alien race may have gotten dubbed "zombies" without being the classic walking undead from horror films actually makes perfect sense and is entirely consistent with countless sci-fi novels. (where characters faced with something utterly alien hang a label on it connecting it with something familiar even if it's based upon nothing more than a single trait, and not necessarily visual either)

In fact the flavor text entirely supports exactly that. Their name coming from the fact that they live on the decomposed matter of their own kind and abhor waste. So it's their consumption habits that earned them the name Zombie, not some esthetic resemblance to what you see on the Walking Dead. laugh

Likewise for the Virus race. It's name comes from it's multiplying nature, it's behaviour, not what it looks like.

If I was the art director and got stuck having to keep a race in from a prior edition with a name like Vampire, Werewolf, or Zombie there is absolutely zero chance I would have them resemble esthetically anything at all like their movie counterparts. There's zero thematic basis for undead rotting corpses in an interstellar negotiation and conquest game.

While I'm not a fan of the visual choices made, it still makes complete sense that they don't look like actual movie monster zombies and oversized petri dish viruses, even if it doesn't to you.

(The crew of Galactica is calling Cylons toasters… but but… they can't brown toast???? It just doesn't make sense!)

Also FFG has a regular history of revising mistakes and releasing fixes when something as egregious as you're imagining has taken place. So this further debunks your conspiracy theories. If they went to the trouble of updating the parasite card then there is no reason they wouldn't have included fixed cards for these if your dubiousness had any foundation in reality.

But by all means do carry on believing that there is some elaborate embarrassed coverup going on simply because it doesn't match your own notion of what it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh, indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Well, if it made sense, that would help.

No problem, I got your back on this one.

The Zombie race is actually not a bunch of necromantic undead a la the Evil Dead series. They're little microscopic creatures that animate the dead, a la Resident Evil, Walking Dead, 28 Days Later, Marvel Zobmies, and so on. To avoid the notion that the Zombie are of the magical variety, they went with a picture of their viral form rather than depicting the rotting husk they animate.

So now it makes sense, which was the help you said you needed.

The real kicker here is that the picture for the Virus doesn't even look like a zombie. It's got tentacles below the waste, spikes coming out of its back, and little fronds dangling from its face. Not very zobmie-like at all really. It probably mutates the hosts and turns them into some kind of grotesque (but not dead) freakshow, like some kind of sentient cancer. Similar concept from a thematic point of view, but then again so is Parasite and Symbiote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swing and a miss. Strike two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art conspiracy theories aside, I'd love to get back to the actual question.

Still not one person with a single instance of text being changed to report?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably do better poking around the forum archives from when the printing first came out. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6876483#6876483 has a few examples: icons on Macron and Wild Mind, and the text of Macron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
You'd probably do better poking around the forum archives from when the printing first came out. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6876483#6876483 has a few examples: icons on Macron and Wild Mind, and the text of Macron.

Thank you Greg, that's exactly what I was looking for! Appreciate your taking the time to dig that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.