birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the CE is no longer listed among game rankings. It simply says N/A.

This game always sits atop the thematic rankings--and rightly so--so it is curious why it has been removed from contention. Anyone know why that is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG removed this beautiful masterpiece from these ranks because it deserve the same entry as War of the Ring (yes, the original and plain edition). I'm not agreeing with that (after all it's a different game, because it had initially different ruleset and an exclusive expansion, found only in this specific version), but who cares: I own the game, and that's enough for me...! ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compilation items were removed from the rankings, see Compilation items not in the rankings anymore!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good move. WOTR doesn't need to have 3 rankings. And unlike many games - the CE will supposedly never be reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
Good move. WOTR doesn't need to have 3 rankings. And unlike many games - the CE will supposedly never be reprinted.

And how, exactly, does that eliminate its value as the top thematic game, um . . . EVER? I wonder if Mercedes, or Porsche, or Rolls Royce would accept the same standard?

If they are going to restructure the ratings then, at the very least, the top ranked version of the game should be the default.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

And how, exactly, does that eliminate its value as the top thematic game, um . . . EVER? I wonder if Mercedes, or Porsche, or Rolls Royce would accept the same standard?

If they are going to restructure the ratings then, at the very least, the top ranked version of the game should be the default.

When i look at the top ranked in any of the lists i see games ranked on the game design. But the CE is higher ranked than the other versions purely on the materials. I would rather see the game ranked on its own merits instead of some aristocratic value. In that regard the CE stands alone. It can be argued that it has no business being listed with the commoners Personally I think the CE and WOTR stature will continue to grow. And in the CEs case it may end up being looked upon as "the real numba 1 is this other game" but why isn't it on the list?" "well it is a mystery" then someone in the know comes along and says for the hundredth time "well that would be because..." Purely my own sentiments and realize others will feel completely different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

Mercedes, Porsche and Rolls Royce are all different kinds of cars. War of the Rings CE is just War of the Rings with all the options added. The analogy doesn't stand in my opinion.

As far as why War of Ring CE's ranking isn't used as the standard ranking for War of the Ring, it is because War of the Ring CE was only purchased by people who already knew that they liked War of the Ring, so it's rating is skewed much higher. People who have a poor opinion of War of the Ring would never purchase it. Therefore, War of the Ring's rating is much more representative of the game's position than War of the Ring CE's rating.

Besides, ratings are not all that important in the end. Play what you like, and ignore what you don't. Ratings don't change how much you will enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
bamonson wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

Mercedes, Porsche and Rolls Royce are all different kinds of cars. War of the Rings CE is just War of the Rings with all the options added. The analogy doesn't stand in my opinion.

As far as why War of Ring CE's ranking isn't used as the standard ranking for War of the Ring, it is because War of the Ring CE was only purchased by people who already knew that they liked War of the Ring, so it's rating is skewed much higher. People who have a poor opinion of War of the Ring would never purchase it. Therefore, War of the Ring's rating is much more representative of the game's position than War of the Ring CE's rating.

Besides, ratings are not all that important in the end. Play what you like, and ignore what you don't. Ratings don't change how much you will enjoy the game.

Yes, with all the expansions added to the FIRST EDITION, which makes it different than either the first edition or the second edition! It's a different game. If not then why do they still differentiate the first end second editions in the rankings? Why not just one for all?

And ratings are VERY important! I would never have even learned about this brilliant game were it not for its ranking atop the 'thematic' list. I did not own the game in any form prior getting the CE.

And getting a game quickly up the ranking lists is HUGE for game sales. While these 'initial' rankings are likely skewed, those games that maintain their high rankings over many months or even years is a very good indication of a game's quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.