Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys, I recently realized I far too often have 5-6 players at my gaming table for most of my games.

I'm looking to grab a 5/6 player game that is awesome, and for some reason, I've always been turned off CW (can't remember what it was, but something minor stuck out as "not my cup of tea")... But now it's been mentioned as a 5 player game.

So... How good is it for 5 players? Our favourite games are Dominion, Mage Knight, Tzolk'in, Hanabi, Glory to Rome, etc...

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for 5-6 player games?

Thanks a lot,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds is quite long with five players. It's a good game, but only if you don't mind playing a middleweight for 2.5-3 hours. I prefer it in the 2-3 player range for this reason.

I'm not sure why you were turned off CW before. I'd think if you like games like Dominion and Mage Knight you'd like CW too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I honestly don't remember what it was. I think it was something in a review, a pet peeve of mine design-wise. It may also have been that it plays best with 2-3, I have enough of those.

I keep running into you, I think we may have similar taste in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:

I keep running into you, I think we may have similar taste in games.

Or similar night owl tendencies

Yes, and the games thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Heh, yeah, life is math at the moment. Can't wait until it becomes board games again. At least then I have to be on the same schedule as friends.

Have any five player game suggestions? I looked through your reviewed games, but doesn't help me pinpoint "Great 5+ player game" as well as I'd like.

Also wish I could close threads once I have the answer I'm looking for, now I feel like this is cluttering a board and there's nothing I can do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite 5p games:

Terra Mystica
Power Grid (also good with 6)
Imperial (NOT good with 6, but I think 5 is good)
Die Macher (long; 5h+)
Merchants of Amsterdam (this will appeal to you if you are a math geek)
Some Age of Steam maps
Automobile
Traders of Genoa (now called simply "Genoa")
Princes of Florence
Amun-Re
Scepter of Zavandor
Outpost
Santiago
Taj Mahal

That should give you something to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Nerd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
That's a long list. Working through it now. Buying Terra Mystica the minute it comes out though, so something dissimilar to that would be ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
That's a long list. Working through it now. Buying Terra Mystica the minute it comes out though, so something dissimilar to that would be ideal.

I don't really consider any of the games on the list to be very similar to Terra Mystica. It is in a class of its own. I think my favourite on the list is Amun-Re or perhaps Automobile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. With five it takes longer than a mid-weight game should. Much better with fewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great five player game? Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first 5 player game recently that included 2 new players. It took almost exactly 2.5 hours but it didn't feel long. The pace of the game keeps moving along well as most people were able to work out the mathyness during other's turns. CW is defiantly best with 3 but the nice thing about the 5 player was the ability to plan was easier because you you are more likely to see the cards you want come into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
the nice thing about the 5 player was the ability to plan was easier because you you are more likely to see the cards you want come into play get taken by someone else.

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.