Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Conquest of the Empire» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Despite my sceptisism, a wonderful tressure! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very sceptical about the game for a few reasons:
-I'm am not a big Eagle fan due to lack of consistancy in the gaming value of their games (production however is excellent!).
-I like slighty more advanced and reality situations: a bit more advanced than Axis & Allies and a bit more reality situation.

With this in mind I had a good look to the negative comments about the game to see wheather it was a go or a no go for me to buy. After days of thinking I decided. Let's do it!

Am I glad I did buy it!! Because what you get:

-Two different games in one box with two seperate manuals
-Excellent production value
-Excellent replayability

Yet again, I am very critical and do a lot of research before I buy. Despite all of that I am often disappointed (example, I do not particularly like Puerto Rico for instance although I can see the beauty of the game mechanics).

A big complaint is the battle system. IMHO nonsense. It is wonderfully easy yet sophisticated. Have a good look at the mathematical depth of it's simplicity!! Brilliant!!

I can highly recommend Conquest of the empire and have added some Shogun/Samuari Swords rules to make the basic game even more interesting:
-Chit drawing who may go first / Bidding for turn
-Bid for an Assasin to kill a General (Ninja in Samurai Swords)
-Mercenaries (as in Shogun)
-Buying special actions (see Europe Engulfed) where armies may: retreat before attack, strategic relocation, attack twice or reinforce battles)

As Mercenaries I took the playing pieces from Avalon Hill's History of the world.
I am now developing events for the basic game: Keltic revolt / German fury, Saracen waves etc. Again, I am using playing pieces from History of the world.

Once ready I playtest and post them on the Geek!

So: do not hesitate to buy Conquest as you have all options to play the variant you like: CotE Classic, CotE II and it is very easy to add house rules without disturbing the gaming balance.

Highly recommended!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCoy
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
You have a good perspective on this game by viewing it as a 'game kit' with opportunities to improve the the game according to your tastes. I bought Risk: Godstorm for the pieces but I have added some rules from AOM ,Mythology (Yaquinto Games)and from some ancient warfare games to enhance my enjoyment of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.