John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm starting to get really excited about this game again so I decided to start trying to learn the language. I tracked down flash cards from the forums and grabbed the key from the new tutorial PDF but I just discovered this post with the "final" serpent's tongue key...

http://www.becomemagi.com/final-serpents-key-codex-insert

I'm a little confused because this layout doesn't match anything they have shown... Not the cards in their latest videos or even the material in the tutorial PDF. Things have been shifted around and now the outer ring seems to contain all the vowels. There is also a Element called "Tsu" that I don't remember seeing before.

My only concern is that this change would require them to redo every card, example in the rules, and all the puzzles hidden in the codex art right before going to print. Does anyone have more info on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
What I know is that the language has been remodeled a few times and so was the key since end of KS.
The vocabulary, grammar and orthography have actually been redeveloped from scratch after KS, using some experts in constructed languages.

Integrating the new language on cards was probably done through the "Flare Card Nexus" which is a tool present on the website that incorporates cards art, rule texts, icons, language and seems to be very dynamic in its management.

Now I suppose that they used this FCN tool to extract final cards to send to printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esa Ryömä
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't start seriously studying the language before the game comes out The language system WAS revamped not long ago (, but what I hear it's all for the better. Yeah, it means some art needs to redesigned, but these guys are giving so much sweat and blood to the altar of ST, that I wouldn't worry.
Unbound Games have tended to have Final, Final+, Final2.0, Final 2.4 versions of stuff before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
street wrote:
I wouldn't start seriously studying the language before the game comes out The language system WAS revamped not long ago (, but what I hear it's all for the better. Yeah, it means some art needs to redesigned, but these guys are giving so much sweat and blood to the altar of ST, that I wouldn't worry.
Unbound Games have tended to have Final, Final+, Final2.0, Final 2.4 versions of stuff before

I fully concur! The language is just one part of the huge amount of work done to tighten the game and get it right. I am really excited about the results!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Mark Rosenfelder author of the language construction kit, stepped in at the 11th hour after some language difficulties in December and basically created the most kick ass language you could possibly imagine. I gush whenever I think about it.

OH sorry, Adam Duncan also had a tremendous hand in developing Sehimu Thinara as well, actually laying down the ground work for Mark.

Sehimu Thinara (Secret Knowledge) was developed from the ground up as a language of magick, its grammar based off of instructing the universe. Its root systems are 'Sphere Based' thus soul spells SOUND differently than Matter spells.

There is a sign language as well that allows magi to express nuance and tone optionally, or imply extra depth of meaning.

The language is up to about 1600 words, where it can stay for the time being as thats a very extensive vocabulary and the grammar is complete, tight and ridiculously cool. The next two pages to be up on the website are the Avak'shar page and the mystery path pages. BUT after that will be a short introduction to the language itself. I think you will be pleased. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wright
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
http://www.becomemagi.com/topic/new-serpents-key/

Here's a link to a key you can use to playtest. It is the one the cards in the Arcanum use, and there is no way we are changing it at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sadonis wrote:
http://www.becomemagi.com/topic/new-serpents-key/

Here's a link to a key you can use to playtest. It is the one the cards in the Arcanum use, and there is no way we are changing it at this point.

Those were the resources I was using to study with until I saw the post above about the final key. The new key is very different... not only did elements move around but many of them changed.

Zo -> za
Fas -> fi
Wur -> wen
Yun -> yu

New elements - Dzo, Tsu
Missing elements - aza, par

At this point I'm going to just wait until there is n official tutorial on the language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wright
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You're going the wrong direction actually.
za was changed to zo,
Yu to Yun.
Added Aza and Par, removed Dzo and Tsu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.