Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a year I post a question in the recommendations forum to check for new games that play in around 90 mins with 3 or more players. It is now that time of the year again.

90 mins is pretty much the sweet-spot in our group, as we tend to play normal evenings and spend a lot of time chatting, and with a 90 min playing time we always finish in time. Our current favorites in this category are Lords of Waterdeep and Hansa Teutonica, but we have earlier played a lot of Endeavor too. We have plenty of games that are even shorter than that (I guess most would be called fillers), but now I am looking for something that could be the main event of our evenings. Just for you to get an idea, some games that I think are too long to fit into this category (but good) are Agricola, Steam, Ora et Labora, The Castles of Burgundy, and Kingsburg. If the game plays 5 players, all the better.

We have played a lot in our group and I am well aware of most games that are out there, but I also know that it is easy to miss some good games. So please, I am very interested to hear about your own favorites in this category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Your current favorite 90 min game (multiplayer)
Stone Age is a good 90 minute game.
Galaxy Trucker is another good one.

Both of these games take 2 hours with new players, but could play in 90 minutes once everyone knows the rules.

Also, they can expand to 5 players if you buy the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World definitely for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that I have in my collection, proven and tested for 90mins time frame:

- Carson City (up to 5)
- Cyclades (up to 5) (our game takes slightly longer but never exceeds 120mins, I think this can be improved over time)
- Kemet (up to 5) (our game takes slightly longer but never exceeds 120mins, I think this can be improved over time)
- Nexus Ops (I highly recommend)
- Egizia
- Eminent Domain
- Fresco
- Homesteaders
- Last Will (up to 5)
- Ninjato
- Walnut Grove
- The Princes of Florence (up to 5)
- The Speicherstadt (up to 5)
- The Pillars of the Earth
- Power Grid: Factory Manager (up to 5)
- Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (up to 5 with expansion)
- Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
- Tournay
- Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game (up to 5 with expansion, but can increase in gameplay length)

For 60mins or less (if you want fillers):

- Santiago de Cuba
- Pergamon
- Thebes
- Glen More
- Louis XIV (a filler, but not necessarily a light game)
- Urbania
- Witch's Brew

Also, get Hansa Teutonica: East Expansion for your base game.

p/s Of course, in your first game, it may take slightly longer

EDITED: for cyclades and kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign for North Africa takes about 90 millennia to play.

Oops, that wasn't what you were asking

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience--YMMV:

If a game box says a game plays in 60 minutes, it usually does.

If a game box says a game plays in 120 minutes, it usually does.

If a game box says a game plays in 90 minutes, it rarely does. It's almost always closer to 120 minutes.

I think casual gamers see 90 minutes as the limit. The second you add a third digit on there, the casual gamer balks.

For instance, someone listed Tzolk'in in a list above. It may read 90 minutes on the box, but that game can induce some serious AP, and you're unlikely to hit 90 minutes with four players unless everyone hustles and just plays their gut, and does so quickly.

Frankly, I think game length needs to be calculated for a full contingent of players and be listed as a range. This is especially true for those that say they play in 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my personal experience, if a game has a suggested time between 30 and 180 minutes, then it'll take Math.random()*200 minutes =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico. Can't go wrong with Puerto Rico...

Also while it's very random and is one of the few games i can't manage to win, i really like Blood Bowl Team Manager. My wife likes it a lot also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Simpsonville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall is 3-5 players and labeled 90 minutes. Could be longer with a few AP players.

Great game though. The mechanics are easy to teach, but this game offers a nice amount of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
My experience--YMMV:

If a game box says a game plays in 60 minutes, it usually does.

If a game box says a game plays in 120 minutes, it usually does.

If a game box says a game plays in 90 minutes, it rarely does. It's almost always closer to 120 minutes.

I think casual gamers see 90 minutes as the limit. The second you add a third digit on there, the casual gamer balks.

For instance, someone listed Tzolk'in in a list above. It may read 90 minutes on the box, but that game can induce some serious AP, and you're unlikely to hit 90 minutes with four players unless everyone hustles and just plays their gut, and does so quickly.

Frankly, I think game length needs to be calculated for a full contingent of players and be listed as a range. This is especially true for those that say they play in 90 minutes.

Just to be clear here, I am not interested in what the box says. I want to know about games that in your experience actually play in around 90 mins, in particular with 4 or 5 players as that is our most common player count.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Kemet.

Got that to the table last night...4 people...almost spot on 1.5 hours.

I will play this game LOTS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet, but also Tammany Hall, are now pretty high on my wishlist. In particular Kemet looked interesting already before, but now even more so.

I have looked at all other recommendations too, and will continuw to do so, so please feel free to add more suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Thebes
+1 Egizia
Myrmes
Navegador
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derm .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that Tzolk'in can induce AP, but the same can be said of a good many games. We often play with three, and do it quite thoughtfully, and can be done within 90 minutes.

I really like it, and recommend it for the OPer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dg2clarke wrote:
It is true that Tzolk'in can induce AP, but the same can be said of a good many games. We often play with three, and do it quite thoughtfully, and can be done within 90 minutes.

But...

You're playing with three. Tzolk'in plays up to four. You're absolutely on the mark at a half hour per player. At that rate, a four-player game resolves in 120 minutes, not 90.

If a game box says a game plays in 90 minutes, then that should be with the maximum number of players playing. This makes a serious difference in those games that are not simultaneous action, such as Tzolk'in.

And it can be said that "a good many games" dramatically undersell the length to play. Seasons became notorious for this after it was released. Just 60 minutes? For two players, definitely. For three? Closer to 90. For four? You're definitely pushing into triple digits.

I'd prefer to see a range of times on a box. It's a far better indicator. Heck, a "per player" time might be even more helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edelen wrote:
dg2clarke wrote:

But...

You're playing with three. Tzolk'in plays up to four. You're absolutely on the mark at a half hour per player. At that rate, a four-player game resolves in 120 minutes, not 90.

If a game box says a game plays in 90 minutes, then that should be with the maximum number of players playing. This makes a serious difference in those games that are not simultaneous action, such as Tzolk'in.

And it can be said that "a good many games" dramatically undersell the length to play. Seasons became notorious for this after it was released. Just 60 minutes? For two players, definitely. For three? Closer to 90. For four? You're definitely pushing into triple digits.

I'd prefer to see a range of times on a box. It's a far better indicator. Heck, a "per player" time might be even more helpful.

This you see on some boxes nowadays, and as you say, it is a better indicator. Regarding Tzolk'in, I do own the game, and although I have only played it with two so far, I think it would play above 90 mins with 3 or 4 players in our group. That being said, it is shorter than some other worker placement games like Agricola or Caylus, so chances are much better we will get Tzolk'in to the table than those two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.