Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week our copy of RISE OF VIGIL arrived and we played our first games. We are still at the point where we get to know the new cards and explore the new possibilities. Allthough we did not knew what we were doing we did some amazing things in one of our games and I like to share them. For those who do not know the new rules about treasures yet, let me quote from the description here on BGG:

Quote:
Rise of Vigil introduces treasure cards to the game system, with all treasure cards in this set being "Energy Shard". When a treasure card is drawn from the shared deck, you place it in the empty space in the shared pool, then continue to draw until you reveal a hero, monster or construct to cover the treasure. When you acquire or defeat that top card, you also gain the treasure, which is added to your deck like hero and construct cards. When you play a treasure from your hand, you immediately draw another card from your deck; more importantly, you can use the energy on these cards to activate special powers on certain heroes, constructs and monsters. (Non-treasure cards can also provide energy, but they are usually worth VPs whereas treasure is worthless aside from the energy.) Energy available on a turn can be "spent" more than once, so if you have, say, two energy, then you can power up all cards with an Energize cost of two or less.

Katja was starting player and the ceter row was just perfect: two costs 1 and one cost 3 cards with a total of 7 energy under them. Katja had 5 runes and bought those cards and I started to get frustrated since energy is really important and this was a nearly perfect start for her.

In my first move I bought my first Mechana Construct: Prototype CH32 which would allow me to play one Mechana Construct per turn when I buy it. Does not sound to powerful but it was important later.

The game went on and I bought some more Mechana Constructs which I could put into play directly. Some turns later had two CH32 and two Forsight Monacle. The Monacle needs four energy to work but if it works it generates 1 rune per Mechana Construct. With four constructs that meant 8 runes every turn in which I got 4 energy. A little bit later I got Portabillet which is a Mechana Construct that generates 5 energy every turn. With Prototype CH32 I could put it directly into play and use 10 runes generated with my constructs every turn. At the same time I could defeat the monsters wouls have allowed Katja to destroy my constructs. Some turns later I got Omicron which is another Mechana Construct. Omicron generates one VP per Mechana construct every turn. Katja could destroy it a little later but at this point it allready seemed clear that I would win.

Than Katja made a great (and lucky move). She defeated a monster called Terrus which allowed her to steal a card from my hand. She got Oziah. Oziah defeats every monster in the center row. This was worth 35 VPs for her. Was she back in the game?

NO, she wasn't. Only two turns later I played a great combo: Starcaller + Ulu. Ulu give 4 VP plus one VP for each energy played this turn and with Ulu I copied this effect twice. With 10 energy this was worth 3*(4+10)=42 VP.

I also was able to play two Temporal Eyes and to take an extra turn.

In the end I had 91 crystalls and won 170-77.

This game was a lot of fun but I start to wonder if the powerful cards in this set make the factor of luck too important...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noobsource Reviews
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed what you are talking about. Last night I played with my son and the first game he went heavy on the energy shards (getting 9 due to some poor shuffling techniques), but never got to capitalize on their use because none energize powers on his cards were worth it.The next game I tried to balance it out and was able to get 4 energy shards. As it would happen I got some good energize powers such as the Lifebound Muse and Leotan's Familiar.

I think had my son realized that he could turn that deck cycling to his advantage by buying more mystic/heavy infantry he could have pulled ahead. However, he stacked power and then just kept killing the cultist each round once the monster heavy start filtered out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
aedilis wrote:
[...]once the monster heavy start filtered out.

That's aproblem with all the sets with a big ceter deck (i.e. Ascension: Deckbuilding Game,Ascension: Storm of Souls and now Ascension: Rise of Vigil). One game you get a lot of monsters, the next you get very little. Therefore I like the small ceter decks (Ascension: Return of the Fallen and Ascension: Immortal Heroes) better. You play almost the whole deck every time you play which makes it less luck-dependent and a little more strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.