Hide
6 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inner Sanctum - another Cthonian question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Picardo
msg tools
I was the keeper and chose 1B. With the investigators racing against the clock to get to the last clue, I managed to get four cultists to the Chapel, flipped the Objective and summoned the Cthonian.

The investigators reasoned that they were far more likely to win by getting the last clue before the last event (as offered on the Objective card) than hunting down the Cthonian, so they did that.

I was then faced with a problem. According to the objective card they had won, but thematically their victory made no sense whatsoever (they've been warned about the summoning, but haven't averted it). I slightly regret not saying 'now the Cthonian is out you have to kill it to win' and giving a few turns to do it. As it was I said 'you all get killed by cultists but the world has been saved' (when palpably the world has not been saved - the Cthonian is out). Very anticlimactic after four hours excellent play.

So my questions are...
- What have others done/would other do?
- Do the manufacturers need to clear this up?
- Are there any other endings I should be pre-warned about in MoM?

Cheers all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
But it's not out. Obviously when they found clue 1 they disrupted the spell and it got pulled back into the portal. Happens all the time in the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Garcia
Mexico
toluca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

You can see that you're not the first one with this problem, i had the same once playing as an investigator. But the keeper allow us to win as the last event card says. Personally I agree with you, if the whole thing is keeping the cthonian from coming into our world, what would the investigators do whit clue 1? build an anticthonian house with it or something?

If i were the keeper, i would have extended the gameplay until the fourth round after the cthonian came into our world, if they manage to kill they win and also they SUPER WIN forget about those cultist, you saved the world and walked out of the house as a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Picardo
msg tools
Thanks all. This helps. I like the idea of offering a super win as well. I'm sure the investigators would have gone for that rather than the unsatisfying 'dead victory.' And then of course the Keeper has to play fair by not running away the Cthonian like Brave Sir Robin (but that's for another thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Chthonian needs to be in this world four turns to fully materialize, but you obviously summoned the Chthonian with fewer than four turns remaining in the game. That means your ritual was already an unstable one (perhaps the stars were beginning to drift out of alignment by the time you performed it), creating a weakness for the investigators to exploit to undo the summoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamespicardo wrote:
I was the keeper and chose 1B. With the investigators racing against the clock to get to the last clue, I managed to get four cultists to the Chapel, flipped the Objective and summoned the Cthonian.

The investigators reasoned that they were far more likely to win by getting the last clue before the last event (as offered on the Objective card) than hunting down the Cthonian, so they did that.

I was then faced with a problem. According to the objective card they had won, but thematically their victory made no sense whatsoever (they've been warned about the summoning, but haven't averted it). I slightly regret not saying 'now the Cthonian is out you have to kill it to win' and giving a few turns to do it. As it was I said 'you all get killed by cultists but the world has been saved' (when palpably the world has not been saved - the Cthonian is out). Very anticlimactic after four hours excellent play.

So my questions are...
- What have others done/would other do?
- Do the manufacturers need to clear this up?
- Are there any other endings I should be pre-warned about in MoM?

Cheers all

I added the following to the objective card:
Marie knows how to banish it back from whence it came.
This is implied by the text on Clue 1.
Does this help?

[Edited 18 April 2012]
I re-read the text on Clue 1B and it does not state Marie knows the banishing spell. But, I think it does make sense that Marie (once released) is able to banish the creature in the final event - which then explains why the investigators win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.