Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Experts.

1) Are there any Actions which do not require the use of a Cube?

2) Besides the Cubes in the Cube Pool, are there any Cubes which do not cost three gold? In other words, are there any Cubes that are "free" besides those in the Cube Pool?

3) In my understanding of the rules, to use a Cube from the Army Display for an Action cost three gold. Does this include using a Cube from the Move box for the purposes of moving with your Army?

4) If I use an Action to move Cubes on the Army Display from one box to another (e.g., if I wanted to move a Cube from the Move box to the Elite box), does it cost me three gold for each Cube that I move?

5) When your Byzantine Army takes control of a Byzantine city, do you also recieve gold for each token on the city?

6) When I take control of a city, I have to either indicate this with a Cube from the Cube pool, or take a Cube from some place else, which will cost me three gold. Is this the correct understanding?

I have more questions, but I'll start with these and see if your answers to them will help me find answers to my other questions.

In a two player game, my impression is that the two sides are going to be limited in their expansion because of the cost of Cubes and Gold. Can anyone provide a detailed description of the first turn results?

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Vion
France
Bry
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Moving armies and attacking does not require a cube from cube or reserve pool. However, it requires using a cube from the army's move box. All other actions requires cubes from cube pool or reserve pool.

2) No.

3) No, that's free.

4) Yes.

5) Yes, you play exactly like any normal fight.

6) Yes. If you can't pay, you *have to* remove two cubes from your army, throw one in the Reserve Pool and the other on the city. You can not do that if you have enough money to pay.

In the two player game, the cost of cubes is not a big problem. You can take control of any free city by using a cube. At the end of each turn, you earn 2 gold for each city token, and some cubes (any cubes on Special Actions, Taxes and Pass boxes, plus half the cubes in reserve pool).

This tends to give a big advantage to the Byzantine faction (many cities = much gold), but it is not a real problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Julien, you have provided great help.

A follow-up question: When the Byzantine Army claims a city, do you immediately add gold for the tokens into your treasury? Or is the gold only added during the Income & Maintainence phase?

Is the same true for the Arab side when claiming the three Arab cities at the start of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Vion
France
Bry
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cubes & Actions: paying for them--and a question or two
When you claim a city, you immediately gain one victory point for each token. However, you don't earn any gold.

At the end of the turn, you get two gold per token you control, during the Income phase.

At the end of the game, you get one additionnal victory point per token you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cubes & Actions: paying for them--and a question or two
scand1sk wrote:
3) No, that's free.

I'm curious why you think this is so. It doesn't say this anywhere in the rules. In fact, it implies just the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.