Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seven turns into my first attempt at Vietnam mission 1, the Air Assault 'Ala Moana', and I don't believe things are going well.

I need to clear a further six cards in three turns. I think I might be able to do it but I fear there will be a lot of US casualties in the process.

The biggest problem I have and what is really the point of my post is two-fold. One, I still have a whole platoon, my CO HQ, XO, all of my FOs and an 81mm mortar team still to land; read into this not enough resources on the map. And two, Veteran VC troops under cover are a nightmare to spot and flush out of potential LZs ... actually, anywhere. Consequently I haven't been able to clear LZs quick enough to land additional resources.

For example a Veteran (as they all are) VC platoon, under cover, in some Jungle (+3 mod) at Long (2 cards) range has been putting Small Arms fire onto my primary LZ (Elephant Grass +1 mod). It took an age to spot them and then pin them, reducing the VOF to All Pinned +2, however I have still been hesitant to land/disembark in this LZ; the Exposed -2 mod makes it all a bit too risky ... but perhaps I'm being soft

Another example; I've had a platoon, among others, under cover on the same card as an under cover VC platoon for nigh on six turns and no one has been able to spot the buggers!

There's been some great/tragic moments throughout, including an unbelievably well timed VC ambush that caught a load of exposed US troops in a mangrove swamp.

It all feels what I imagine would be correct, if you see what I mean, but it is frustrating.

Also, am I correct in thinking that Platoon HQs and staff accrue saved commands while they are aboard helicopters in the pick-up and transit zones?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like tough mission, sometimes you don't get a break. Yes HQs can accrue commands when riding in the helos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you are doing something wrong here. I have recollections of similar situations during air assault missions in my Vietnam campaign. At times it is really difficult to get a secured area on the ground and effectively start to clean out the map.

The one thing I learned to do in these mission is to limit the number of directions you go scouting to., in order to avoid multiple contacts and multiple directions of fire toward your (potential) LZ's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.