Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
After quite a break from solo gaming (I've been playing a lot of games with friends), I managed to get Bastogne onto the table this evening and played through two games of the introductory scenario. This did not take long.

Here's the initial situation: the US forces are defending a road - the one from east-to-west, outlined in yellow, passing through Recogne, Foy and Noville

Against them is ranged a small force of powerful German units. The numbers - from left to right - are Attack, Defense and Movement Points. Artillery have a barrage value and a superscripted range instead of an attack value. This scenario is only two turns long, and when playing it, one should use every advantage you have as the Germans. Overrun in particular.

One should not just move up to the US troops and stop, as I did here:

Not shown on the map are three artillery assets belonging to each side. Before combat starts, the US get to fire them to disrupt German attacks, and the Germans get to fire them to disrupt defenders. If they hit, there's a 50% chance of a step loss. The on-board artillery in this scenario works in a similar way, but only causes step loss 1/6 of the time.

The disruption of the German forces worked a treat - after that, their attack was most anaemic, aided by some poor rolling. As you can see, their net effect was to eliminate one one-step unit, and leave the better defender untouched. Even exploitation couldn't happen now!

So, the US reinforcement arrived and moved to protect the road. The tank destroyers moved off to protect Recogne, and the US decided not to attack so as not risk losing further steps. No barrages occur during the US turn in this game - save air combat, which is not in this small scenario.

Further German reinforcement appeared, and made their way through the forest and muddy ground towards the US troops, but they couldn't make it as far as they would have liked.

At this point, I attempted a couple of overruns with mixed success. Post-battle, the Germans were in a fairly sorry state, but most of the road was cleared... save the Tank Destroyer in Recogne. And that was enough for the US to hold the road.

Well, I'd learnt some basic rules of the game and some basic strategy. Overruns are my friend - if I can pull them off. Exploit if possible - and as a result, advances aren't always good. And road movement needed more attention. The only thing was to reset the scenario and try again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
SCS is a fun system, that still requires some planning to maximize your execution. I'm looking forward to getting It Never Snows back on the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this scenario and the middle of the three scenarios that come with the game.

Very good, easy system with lots of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.