Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I'm looking for a World War 2 themed board game, to play with a friend which is also a WWII follower.

The points that i value are:

- World War 2 theme
- actual figures instead of card chips
- playable with 2 players (not jeopardising the fun)
- duration 30min to 1,5h
- strategy component over the luck
- medium complexity (we don't have too much time to spend learning but also not as simple as 'risk')
- ready to play out of the box (not requiring extra expansions to feel the complete experience)

From what I've browsed up to now I've discovered these two (which have a lot of followers):
Axis & Allies 1941
OR
Memoir 44

But between 1000's of games there might be other options, or not...

Apreciate any feedback

cheers
Màrcio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given what you are looking for I would say Memoir 44 is your best bet as it has pretty much everything you are looking for, and a ton of expandability through all of the additional scenarios on their site, and the various expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Memoir 44 fits your criteria. Axis and Allies is way too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice doesn't have miniatures but dice. Worth taking a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, Memoir 44 seems the closest to what you are asking for. And you're in luck because it's also an excellent game.

Besides that, if you like the miniatures aspect you could look at Dust Tactics or Warfare. If you don't mind a less-traditional WWII representation (laser weapons and panzer walkers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron would do it for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
Free Soil
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say Tide of Iron also because you want the miniatures.

If you could go with out Minies I would also suggest "Conflict of Heroes Awaken the Bear" for simplicity and fun but use the method of game play suggested "the chief", who is with "the dice tower", and forums to handle dice rolling. it seriously changes the game for the better.

or possibly "Band of Brothers Screaming Eagles". its got a bit of math involved but not to bad. It has some real cool game mechanics.
The latest greatest to suggest would be "Heroes of Normandy". Again no Mini's but the look is awesome.

I own TOI and love it and now I see it for sale around 50 bucks on ebay in shrink. I paid over a hundred with tax. Plus now a new expansion is on the way, Stalingrad!
I feel personally that Screaming Eagles is the fairest when it comes to resolving combat Tide is Dicey! you roll the black mini dice for the attack and the red mini dice for the defense when making an attack. Normal range hits are on 5 or 6 defends are on a 5 or 6 there are combat modifiers that come into play that give more or less dice to roll or change a hit number to 4-5 or 6. You use command points you get by winning and holding objectives to buy and use cards that give advantages and have effects and to keep or win initaive. this was probably too much info for this post but I thought you should know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you all for the feedback.

All the games seem to have strong points, and personally I fell in love for the minis of the Dust Tactics, it's also a theme that I like, but not for now.

I'm still undecided, well ... I would buy one of each.

But I found a reasonable deal with a used ToI, so I think I'll take it

Maybe the future brings another one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.