Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You build your main deck with sets of 5 cards. So for a minimum size deck, you choose 10 sets. Each of these sets also has an objective and those 10 cards make up your objective deck. Objectives in SW have nothing to do with scenarios in LOTR.

Once you've built your decks, you can keep playing them in tournaments until the heat death of the universe if that's what you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult to compare Star Wars to LotR in terms of mechanics. They're two completely different games. You build your deck in terms of Objective Sets, which comprise one Objective Card and five Command Cards (the Command Cards are basically your hand).

To build a deck in Star Wars, you do the following:
- Pick a side (Light Side or Dark Side)
- Pick a Faction (Jedi/Rebel Alliance/Smugglers & Spies or Sith/Imperial Navy/Scum & Villainy)
- Choose at least 10 Objective Sets from the chosen side (not the chosen faction). This includes all factions and even the side-neutral sets (i.e. they belong to no faction).
- You cannot have more than 2 of the same Objective Sets
- You cannot have more than 1 of Objective Sets that specify "limit one per deck"
- You cannot have Objective Sets that state "{faction} only" if that is not your chosen faction (i.e. if you chose Sith as your faction, you cannot choose Objective Sets that state "Imperial Navy only").

Since there are no scenarios to beat in this game, there's no need to redo your deck unless you're tweaking it (i.e. adding different sets, trying out new expansion cards, etc). You also need to keep in mind that your resources come from your Objective Cards, and in order to play a faction-specific card, at least one resource needs to come from that faction. So if you have Han Solo in your hand, but have no Smuggler objectives out yet, then you will not be able to play Han.

IMHO, while this game appears to have simplified or 'streamlined' deck building (you're only choosing 10 sets instead of 50 cards), it works very well. Instead of pining over this card or that, you just pick a whole set. It removes any 'wasted cards' (you'll never have a card you won't include in your deck, since it's part of the set) and there's no such thing as useless cards in play, thanks to Edge Battles. This really is a fantastic game, you should give it a try.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
So each small expansion would have like 5 or 6 objective sets. Half light-side half dark-side?

If the first cycle expansion is any indicator (Star Wars: The Card Game – The Desolation of Hoth) then they will come with 6 Objective Sets, 2 pairs of each except the ones that are limited to 1 per deck. Also, there was only one Impirial neutral set, so I'm guessing the next expansion will have the second set of that one.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
So if you had 20 objective sets you could just keep those together as two separate decks?

See below. Should become clear with the answers to your other questions

D6Frog wrote:

I thought there were five or six factions? Do they have faction specific objective sets?

There are 6. Yes each faction has objects tied to them and there are also neutral objects for light and dark side. The Light has 3 affiliation as does the Dark

You can mix objective sets from your side of the force of different affiliations but this is more of a deck building strategy thing and there is more to explain here. You should watch the tutorial videos.

D6Frog wrote:

Are expansions going to be divided by objective sets? So in essence deck building is simpler than any other game out there? (would be great for newbies)

No. Each expansion has objects sets for each Affiliation currently.

D6Frog wrote:

So each small expansion would have like 5 or 6 objective sets. Half light-side half dark-side?

You get 10 object sets per small expansion. Some are duplicates as you can have 2 of each objective set in any given deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Sounds absolutely incredible! If that is really how it works then it is pure genius!

But I don't believe it.

Why? Because each expansion pack says it requires the core set. Why is that? Just the tokens and the Death Star dial? If it is truly like you guys describe, then like oldschool CCGs I eventually could make a deck out only expansion cards.

Yes, you could make a deck out of only expansions but you'd miss the cardboard bits and a few token cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Sounds absolutely incredible! If that is really how it works then it is pure genius!

But I don't believe it.

Why? Because each expansion pack says it requires the core set. Why is that? Just the tokens and the Death Star dial? If it is truly like you guys describe, then like oldschool CCGs I eventually could make a deck out only expansion cards.

In theory you can but yes you would be missing some core components which can be overlooked for sure. BUT many of the main cards are in the core. Things you would usually want. RIght now there isn't enough in the 1 small expansion to do this.

This is no different then Magic etc... You can build from the latest block but you always need certain bas cards from the Core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

But I don't believe it.

You could, but you'd be missing the tokens and the 3 Force Cards for each side. Plus you'd be missing out one some kick ass cards. Most of the main characters are in the core set, like Han, Luke, Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Ackbar, Emperor, Boba Fett, Leia, etc. Not to say they won't create other versions of these people (there's a new Vader in the first expansion), but they're still great cards to have.

And since it looks like they are splitting the sets (half Empire, half Rebel), you'd need at least 3 expansions before you could have a (limited) 10 Objective Set deck. Might as well buy the core set.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RIght now there isn't enough in the 1 small expansion to do this.

then again, no expansions have been released. In Europe at least. angry

buy 2 coresets, it gives you at least some deckbuilding posibilities right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core and the deluxe expansions do not have sets duplicated, so you need two for a full playset.
Force packs have a full set with two copies of objectives that aren't limited.
Using two cores is a good idea and will probably be needed for most good decks for a long long time (multiple cores is still a great move in game of thrones, which has tons of expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
D6Frog wrote:
I like how the first cycle is Hoth. And the 1st deluxe exansion is bounty hunters. If they mostly stick to oldschool star wars the first few cycles of cards then even better. I'll quit when they jump into the prequels etc.

I imagine they'll be at least Cloud City/Dagobah cycle, a Jabba cycle, and an Endor cycle after Hoth so at least two years from now. By that point, the sequel trilogy will start coming out in theatres and I expect they'll want to capitalize on characters and themes from that.

I'd love to see a Shadows of the Empire cycle but I imagine they'll generally avoid focusing too much on expanded universe stuff since it seems likely that the Disney trilogy will ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I like how the first cycle is Hoth. And the 1st deluxe exansion is bounty hunters. If they mostly stick to oldschool star wars the first few cycles of cards then even better. I'll quit when they jump into the prequels etc.

According to what they've told us, this game will only encompass classic trilogy and some EU from that era and after. No plans to include the prequels. Not sure how the announcement of new sequels will affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:

I'd love to see a Shadows of the Empire cycle but I imagine they'll generally avoid focusing too much on expanded universe stuff since it seems likely that the Disney trilogy will ignore it.

SotE should be safe enough to explore as it falls between Empire and Jedi. The S&V and S&S factions would benefit greatly from that material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

But I don't believe it.

A magic booster box has about 540 cards in it, and costs between 90 bucks to 120 (depending on where you get it from). You could, say, make 10 to 12 decks out of those cards, but there is no guarantee that you'll have decks that are fun to play or worth anything. You also might not get a playset of anything (and you'll have to deal with only having about one mythic rare per box, so if you want more copies you'll have to either buy more boxes or get them on the market). It's perfect for kitchen table stuff though.

In most LCGs, you get a core set (in the case of SW, it has 240 cards in it) with often has one to three copies (one in case of SW, which is half of a playset) of cards. In most LCGs 3 is a playset, in SW it's two copies of objective sets. You also get rules, cardboard tokens, and other stuff that might be important to play. Then monthly chapter packs are released that have 60 cards, a full playset of each card that is in there), each pack cycle tends to have 5 monthly packs in it, getting another 300 cards per cycle.

A core set and 5 chapter packs costs roughly the same as one booster box of magic and you end up getting a full playset of mostly every cards out there (minus a few in the starterbox... or only 1/2 of a playset for everyhing in the SW starterbox.. which is remedied by getting a second starter box). With one core-set and 5 monthly packs, you can make approximately 8 decks (4 for each side) with 5 objective sets left over for each side (can't blend them into a deck, unfortunately). This costs 116 bucks if you pay MSRP (plus tax) or 75 if you get it from CSI. Add a second core set and you now have a playset of everything (and 260 more cards) and a lot of deck building options. If you get it from CSI, your total investment goes up to about 100 bucks.

You can eventually make a deck out of just monthly packs, but there's no reason not to get a core-set, considering you're spending about the same as you would on a booster-box anyway all-in-all. You might end up getting slightly fewer unique cards due to a CCG's random distribution, but I prefer the LCG model. It's quite easy to just leave decks you've built together without breaking them down every week/month. I did dislike that portion of LotR:LCG, but the rest of my playgroup really likes building decks, so they were quite fond of it. Breaking a deck down in SW:LCG is quite easy, as the objective sets are numbered, so it takes a few minutes to just put them into objective set piles and magically your deck is broken down.

MasterDinadin wrote:
The Core and the deluxe expansions do not have sets duplicated, so you need two for a full playset.
Force packs have a full set with two copies of objectives that aren't limited.
Using two cores is a good idea and will probably be needed for most good decks for a long long time (multiple cores is still a great move in game of thrones, which has tons of expansions)

I'm realllly hoping the deluxe expansions will go to playsets after this first one. I saw it is focusing on the Bounty Hunters and Smugglers side (which is really under-developed at the moment... there was nothing in the first monthly pack), so I hope after they flesh that out it'll go to playsets of everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can't put every affiliation in every pack, but it should hopefully be even throughout the cycle. I guess that's not even mandatory - I thin there is faction bias even in recent cycles of other games. But it should at least be even over many cycles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Of course I will buy the core set. Maybe even 2 if was benificial and did not throw buying one of each expansion out of wack.

It's highly beneficial to buy two core sets, since there aren't any duplicate Objective Sets in the core (except a couple of the Affiliation Neutral objectives). So almost everything in a second core set will be used, unlike some other core set games (I'm looking at you The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, where more than half the cards are worthless in the second set). Since you can have 2 Objective Sets, it's very useful to have a second core set. A good 90%+ of the cards can be used.

And as for Original Trilogy, I'd heard a rumor that FFG only licensed Original Trilogy works, so we'll never see any Prequel stuff from FFG, in this game, Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, nor even Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. Not sure how accurate that rumor is, but that would also mean we'd not see a remake of Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
Quote:

I got my copy of "The Desolation of Hoth" in a Swedish store about a month ago. I just checked yesterday and they still have it in stock. No problems in this part of Europe getting at least the English release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezel wrote:
lievendp wrote:
Quote:

I got my copy of "The Desolation of Hoth" in a Swedish store about a month ago. I just checked yesterday and they still have it in stock. No problems in this part of Europe getting at least the English release.

Its also available in the UK too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.