Subject: Question about stretch goal Tile pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a question for Brian regarding the stretch goal tile pack (not the add-on):

Since there aren't really terrain features in the game, is the new (stretch goal) tile pack simply aesthetic? Are there some extra features on these tiles? Are they different sizes from the base tile set, or the same division (3 6x2, 3 6x6, 4 12x12)?

Also, someone posted this in the KS comments, so I thought I'd just fold it in as its relevant: Will the 10 additional world tiles also be two-sided with one side being internal cavern/building and the other being different terrain scapes/external locations?

This will help me (and I'm sure others) make an informed decision about the tile-pack add-on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'd also like to hear a bit more about the tiles. I'm debating adding the 6x6 pack but I don't really understand the benefit yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
I'd also like to hear a bit more about the tiles. I'm debating adding the 6x6 pack but I don't really understand the benefit yet.

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:

This

+1 I don't really understand the difference between the tile packs and whether they are worth having. Particularly in regards to the six tile pack and why one would want that, the base game & the extra 10 tiles that we will get if we hit the stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait on Brian's replay with more info,... but previously on quesitons concerning terrain that affected movement in the base tile set; they indicated that the base game had to give basics for gameplay that were simple and straight forward but that expansions could add stuff like walls and slowing terrain.

so maybe we'll see some of that stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can read more about it in the FAQ that I put up here on BGG,.,..

but basically the art work for the expansion 10 tile kit is completely differrent from that in the base game,... different worlds if you like.

If you want to be able to mix the tiles from the base game and the expansion in the same gaming session,... then the 6x6 set provides tiles that allow you to transition bewteen the too seemlessly (from an art perspective)

Whether or not the 6x6 set provides anything unique gameplay wise outside of the base or expansion set is up for discussion to the MERCS team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case people missed it, I believe the general response has been that the addon tiles are intended to bridge the "visual gap" between the stretch goal tiles and the base game tiles. Since the base gam tiles are outdoor forest on one side and grand hall on the other, I'm going to guess that the stretch goal tiles are likely plains/fields on one side and cavern/dungeon on the other. The addon tiles will likely be feature a thinning forest to plains on one side and some transitions from grand hall to under ground dungeon or cave. Perhaps even vice versa allowing hall to forest/plans and forest to dungeon etc.

All this would allow you to create a grand, linked campaign featuring many locales and truly flesh out your "myth". Just a guess (hope?) though. I'm no Brian!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of what the add-on tiles are.

I'm asking specifically about the stretch goal tiles. If they provide any of the extra terrain features that MERCS mentioned might show up in expansions, or if they are merely different locales to set your adventures in.

Basically - if the difference is merely aesthetic (i.e. without any gameplay affecting features), then I'd rather save my money and not get the add-on. I'll just have adventures set in one tile set, or the other, as it doesn't really make a difference (immersion aside).
If, however, there are gameplay affecting features on the new tiles - well, there's more of a reason to connect the different tile sets together.

Hence my question to Brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
IronSyndicate wrote:
I'm aware of what the add-on tiles are.

I'm asking specifically about the stretch goal tiles. If they provide any of the extra terrain features that MERCS mentioned might show up in expansions, or if they are merely different locales to set your adventures in.

Basically - if the difference is merely aesthetic (i.e. without any gameplay affecting features), then I'd rather save my money and not get the add-on. I'll just have adventures set in one tile set, or the other, as it doesn't really make a difference (immersion aside).
If, however, there are gameplay affecting features on the new tiles - well, there's more of a reason to connect the different tile sets together.

Hence my question to Brain.

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a boatload of tiles from Descent that I could see being used for this if I wanted more variety (maybe...I haven't seen anything so far indicating that wouldn't work out. If so, I'd love to hear about it). Are the new tiles only for a new visual area or do they drive something gameplay related? More importantly, do they tie with other content, meaning do I need those tiles for certain quests/monsters/whatever? Assuming not, but I want to be clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Antonio
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VoicelessFaces wrote:
I'm in a similar boat. I've got a boatload of tiles from Descent that I could see being used for this if I wanted more variety (maybe...I haven't seen anything so far indicating that wouldn't work out. If so, I'd love to hear about it). Are the new tiles only for a new visual area or do they drive something gameplay related? More importantly, do they tie with other content, meaning do I need those tiles for certain quests/monsters/whatever? Assuming not, but I want to be clear.

Yes, this is a big doubt. I subscribe to this thread, it is very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I missed answering this when you first put it up.

This is an interesting question. I am not going to lie to you. There is certainly an aesthetic nature to the tiles. They match the style of the game. And many of the tiles do have terrain feature that restrict movement (if there is a river, then there is a river, etc). Many of the 6x6 tiles (medium) tiles have images (they are double-sided) that can be used on top of the larger tiles. For instance, the stairs can be used on top of a 12 x 12 to replicate stairs going to a second level, and the reverse side of 2 of the the supplemental pack tiles are an extended table that can fill the middle of the large double 12 x 12 interior room. You will be able to fight on the table.

Moreover,our tiles have a series of icons in the corner that dictate Lairs, Quests, Traps, Treasure.

However, as long as you understand why the icons exist and can replicate the ratio on other tiles, you are good to use anything with a 1x1 inch square grid.

I would be glad to answer more specific questions if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

First off - thank you for answering. You really don't need to apologise for anything, I know you receive about a 100 questions an hour, so it's only natural some fall through the cracks.

I really like the ability to mix and match different tiles to create "new" map tiles. The ability to overlay smaller tiles on the bigger ones is really cool and even further adds to the thematic value of the game - always a plus in my book.

Some more specific questions, if you don't mind:
1. Are the stretch goal tiles the same sizes as the base? Is it the same division (3 hallways, 3 medium, 4 large)?

2. Are the add-on tiles meant to be used as these "overlay" tiles, or just connections between core tiles and stretch tiles?

3. I understand this next one might be subjective, as player choice factors into tile placements - but how often, in your opinion, would you mix between core set tiles and stretch tiles? If this is something I'll be doing every game, then the add-on tiles are a no brainer, if, however, is something I'll only pull out once in a blue moon, I'd rather use the money towards other stuff.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I have to echo the statement that no apologies are necessary, you guys have been doing a fantastic job of communication.

You mentioned that tiles have icons dictating quests. Does that mean quests are designed for certain tiles (and take into account or add to any movement obstacles present on the tile)? That's my man concern. Having more info on when the stretch and supplement tiles might come into play would also be helpful.

Slightly off-topic, but how do you plan to package and sell expansions? Everything in the KS has been pretty piecemeal, but is the plan at retail to have Expansion 1 with new tiles, quests, monsters, treasures, etc? If that's the case, it seems the supplements would be even more important since they sync with the other content we'd have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Brian,

First off - thank you for answering. You really don't need to apologise for anything, I know you receive about a 100 questions an hour, so it's only natural some fall through the cracks.

I really like the ability to mix and match different tiles to create "new" map tiles. The ability to overlay smaller tiles on the bigger ones is really cool and even further adds to the thematic value of the game - always a plus in my book.

Some more specific questions, if you don't mind:
1. Are the stretch goal tiles the same sizes as the base? Is it the same division (3 hallways, 3 medium, 4 large)?

2. Are the add-on tiles meant to be used as these "overlay" tiles, or just connections between core tiles and stretch tiles?

3. I understand this next one might be subjective, as player choice factors into tile placements - but how often, in your opinion, would you mix between core set tiles and stretch tiles? If this is something I'll be doing every game, then the add-on tiles are a no brainer, if, however, is something I'll only pull out once in a blue moon, I'd rather use the money towards other stuff.

Thanks again!

1. Yes. Same sizes and numbers.

2. They are both. One side is a nice aesthetic connector. The other is a room or overlay.

3. I think the supplemental tiles gain importance if the stretch tiles are unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.