12 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Situation Test: just wanna see what's your decision rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Ok, so I've came across a couple of these life-vs-death situations, and I'd like to see what you guys would come up with in that exact same situation. here goes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#1: 3ship rebel vs 6-7ish ship imperials

It is the first engagement at range 2-3. Howlrunner has a focus token on her. Let's take it that her upgrade is irrelevant at this point (ie. swarm tactics or something else). You roll her attack dice. 2 focus results. Do you spend the focus token, or keep it for defense?

If Howlrunner is at 2 hp and the same situation occurs, would it change your decision? (if howlrunner is at 1hp, you would just throw out the 2 damage, so its a bit of a moot question and im skipping it)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#2: Awing vs TIEint 1v1

An Awing with a higher skill point ends up in a range 1 exchange situation with a TIEint. The TIEint has 2 hp and focus. The Awing has 2 hp no shields. The Awing will shoot first. If you are the Awing pilot, do you boost away and disengage, with neither party being able to shoot at each other? Or maybe go for the exchange, do a focus/targetlock. Or take the evade option and go for a safer trade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#3: Friendly Splash

You are playing Imperials, roughly 5-6 ship imps vs 3-4 ship rebels. You have a great, nearly sure-hit assault missile/seismic charge shot. Problem is you would get 2 of his ships within range (inclusive of the ship that is taking the missile hit), but at the same time it would hit 2 of your own ships as well. Do you still go for it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#4: My body as a shield

Green Awing + Draw Their Fire is flying next to Wedge. Both ships do not have any shields left. A Critical hit card appears that was meant for Wedge. Do you have Wedge take the hit and survive, or sacrifice your Awing in exchange for a 3hp Wedge?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#5: escaping

You are a regular TIE getting chased by some standard rookie Xwing with Focus + targetlock at range 2. You could roll out of his firing arc, but it means that you need to fly through an asteroid on the next turn. Do you do that, or take a evade/focus and hope for the best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
here's mine first:

I would spend the focus token for that 2 hits if she has 1 or 3 hp, but keep it for defense if she has 2 hp. Reason being that if she is at full hp, the chances of her surviving this round is somewhat reasonable, and if she has 1hp she would likely die anyway, so might as well have her deal out some damage. If she has 2 hp, I would really want her to live, and trading that 2 hits for an extra turn with her is most likely going to be worth it.

I would boost away. 4 attack dice on focus, if i were to whiff my agility dices, that's it for me. live to fight another day! The risk is stacked a little bit too high, 3 attack dice against 3 agility and 2 hp is a little bit too close for comfort.

I would do the shot. I doubt I will have any more such chances in subsequent rounds, and since i have a slight numbers advantage, the trade should end up in my favour. Of course, the actual ships that take the damage would affect the final decision quite a bit, but as a general guideline, I say I'd take the shot

I'm really unsure about this one. I tried out both sides a few times, and neither seems to really end up being better than the other option.

I'd take my chances with the rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#4 - all other ships are forfeit for the survival of the Wedge-meister!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - Not enough info.
How many Rebels have Howl in their sights and have yet to fire? Typically with Howl, I'll save everything for defense if there is any chance she might get attacked.

#2 - Boost
You're not likely to land 2 hits, and that Tie could very well rip you to shreds in the exchange. You're hope is that you'll somehow be able to outmanuever him in the upcoming turns and be able to land a safer attack.
In all likelyhood though, if these were the last 2 ships, or if the A-wing is my last ship...I'd take the shot and hope for the best. I'm likely to get outplayed at that point so I have a better chance going all out offense and hoping for a lucky roll.

#3 - Not enough info.
How important are his ships compared to mine. If I'm tagging a couple prototype a-wings but also taking damage to my interceptors, then no. If I'm laying a hit on Wedge/Luke while the enemy has a Biggs in play and only hitting a couple rookie ties, heck yeah. Do I have other ships thare are going to have a shot against the damaged ships? Do they still have shields? Will it kill them but only damage me?
Most likely I wouldn't damage my own ships, but if there was some scenario that was very beneficial, I'd make the sacrifice. Tie pilots are expendable after all.

#4 - Bye bye A-Wing
That's the whole reason you took draw their fire isn't it? A critical hit for wedge could make him useless, or next to useless. That A-wing isn't a strong offensive player anyways.

#5 - Roll
Assuming my math isn't way off, I think you have a better chance of living/not taking damage from the asteroid than you do the X-wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
for #1, lets just say that any and all ships can fire at any and all ships at range 2-3

#3 if all are mooks or all are named pilots?

#4 i was thinking that wedge would still be alive, and having 2 ships is better than just 1

#5 has the issue of screwing up your maneuver for the next turn, and chancesapqe the same Xwing you are running away from would still be on your tail. if you were to not go the asteroid option, your TIE would have his actions next turn, and maybe better maneuver options since you could do barrel rolls again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvan 1138
msg tools
Duraham wrote:
Ok, so I've came across a couple of these life-vs-death situations, and I'd like to see what you guys would come up with in that exact same situation. here goes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is the first engagement at range 2-3. Howlrunner has a focus token on her. Let's take it that her upgrade is irrelevant at this point (ie. swarm tactics or something else). You roll her attack dice. 2 focus results. Do you spend the focus token, or keep it for defense?

If Howlrunner is at 2 hp and the same situation occurs, would it change your decision? (if howlrunner is at 1hp, you would just throw out the 2 damage, so its a bit of a moot question and im skipping it)

Any time I have the opportunity to do max damage I take it, especially if that would allow for a kill. Same for 2 hp.

Duraham wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Awing with a higher skill point ends up in a range 1 exchange situation with a TIEint. The TIEint has 2 hp and focus. The Awing has 2 hp no shields. The Awing will shoot first. If you are the Awing pilot, do you boost away and disengage, with neither party being able to shoot at each other? Or maybe go for the exchange, do a focus/targetlock. Or take the evade option and go for a safer trade?

If I have the higher PS and I'm at range 1 I would focus.http://teamcovenant.com/kelvantiberius/2013/04/07/the-answer...
The answer is pretty much always focus. You can possible kill the tie, you have to do it.

Duraham wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are playing Imperials, roughly 5-6 ship imps vs 3-4 ship rebels. You have a great, nearly sure-hit assault missile/seismic charge shot. Problem is you would get 2 of his ships within range (inclusive of the ship that is taking the missile hit), but at the same time it would hit 2 of your own ships as well. Do you still go for it?

yes, tie fighters are worth less points than rebel ships. It would depend on total hp though, I wouldn't purposefully destroy one of my own ships unless I could destroy one of his.

Duraham wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green Awing + Draw Their Fire is flying next to Wedge. Both ships do not have any shields left. A Critical hit card appears that was meant for Wedge. Do you have Wedge take the hit and survive, or sacrifice your Awing in exchange for a 3hp Wedge?

It depends on how many ships are left for the enemy. I'm not sure if the A wing has 2hp still or not. If it does it takes the hit keeping wedge with 3hp. If it dies I probably give wedge the crit.

Duraham wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are a regular TIE getting chased by some standard rookie Xwing with Focus + targetlock at range 2. You could roll out of his firing arc, but it means that you need to fly through an asteroid on the next turn. Do you do that, or take a evade/focus and hope for the best?
Depends on how many hp. Likely I would though. an asteroid is 1 damage and not a kill... every x wing shot could kill a tie though, have to avoid that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
1: 3ship rebel vs 6-7ish ship imperials

I dunno... just fly casual. Just don't make it look casual. Oh, fine. Spend the focus token and strip the Rebel scum of shields.

Duraham wrote:

To be honest, the state of damage of the Rebel scum is more important for my decision here. If they're untouched it's very different as compared with if this would leave them with 1 Hull left. It also depends on what threats there are to Howlrunner in the next few rounds - how close are the other rebel ships?

Duraham wrote:

You've got to ask yourself one question - do you feel lucky, punk? Well? Do ya? I'd probably shoot.

Duraham wrote:

No. Assault missiles are for use against the enemy.

Duraham wrote:

Again, it depends on what's left. Are we in a mirror match with just the Falcon remaining? If so, the A-Wing's ducking and diving is useless against a 360 firing arc but Wedge can reduce the Falcon's agility to 0. But if it's not, I might choose differently...

Duraham wrote:

Asteroid. I'll take that bet.
Wait. If attacker has focus and defender has evade 3 attack vs 3 agility he's got a 32.81% chance of getting a hit. If he's got focus + target lock that's going to be higher. Is it 50% for a hit/crit that you'll chance for an asteroid? Very possibly. I think I'd still go for the asteroid, but that's a question for the numbers geeks.

Duraham wrote:
#6: There’s a bomb on a bus. The bus goes over fifty-five miles per hour, the bomb is armed; it drops below fifty-five, the bomb goes off. What do you do?

Ummmm. Shoot the hostage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Duraham wrote:

I probably keep it for defense. With 5-6 other ships, Howlrunner stands to generate about 1 additional [hit] result this turn via her pilot ability, and so on through the match. It's tough to give up 2 potential damage, but I always expect my opponent to concentrate fire on Howlrunner, and she'll likely want some kind of buff available to supplement a poor result.

Duraham wrote:

It's a tough call, but I'd probably concede the match. whistle

...okay, that's a bit of hyperbole, but while there are a lot of potential factors here, the decision is probably not a consequential one. The A-wing can't stay out of the TIE's arc forever, and the best defensive setup available is probably Evade--in which case the Interceptor "only" has a 30% chance to kill it, and which also drastically reduces the A-wing's chances of doing meaningful damage. In return, the A-wing (even with Focus) has only a 15% chance of killing the TIE, and in the neighborhood of a 20% chance of stripping the TIE's Focus token.

The odds are, to put it mildly, not in the A-wing's favor.

The best decision is probably to boost out of the Interceptor's arc, and use the next round to pick up Target Lock and set up for a flanking shot, or failing that, a head-to-head pass where you now have both Target Lock and Focus.

Duraham wrote:

Probably not. Presuming the missile hits, it's likely to do a total of 2-3 damage to my opponent and 2 damage to me. Since I'm harder to hit but more fragile, taking 2 damage is too high a cost for dealing 2-3 damage is worth.

The exception would be if I was likely to kill at least one of the ships in range, and my ships in range were both of low value (i.e., Academy Pilots) and relatively healthy.

Duraham wrote:

It depends on how many more of my opponent's ships will have an opportunity to fire this round, but I will almost certainly sacrifice the A-wing. The A-wing's main virtue is its defense, rather than offense; Wedge is at least twice as good at actually killing stuff.

Duraham wrote:

This is another genuinely tough call: the asteroid has a 50% chance to deal damage and costs me an action, but the Rookie has at least a 60% chance to deal damage, and is more likely to crit.

I probably take my chances with the asteroid, but I'm not happy about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:

#4 i was thinking that wedge would still be alive, and having 2 ships is better than just 1

I can't think of any reason where having the A-wing is a good thing compaired to a critical damaged Wedge. If you are facing Imps, the A-wing is going to struggle to get a hit in the first place. If you are facing rebels with the YT and Y-Wings I guess I could see the arguement, but think of the potential crit penalties to wedge.

Wasted attack rolls, wasted turns repairing damage, reduced attack/defense, loss of skills, lowered pilot value, double damage or continued damage, stess, reduced manueverability.

Keeping your weak, nearly destroyed A-wing while potentially sacrificing Wedge to an earlier grave or a round or two of ineptitude seems like a bad trade off more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Loos
United States
Chicagoland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
1) Use the focus. If Howl is at 2hp, absolutely use the focus because it means that 1 or more of the 3 ships has already taken the shot. I hate trading my highest point piece, but the 3 ship rebel part is key.

2) The key here is surviving, but also that the A-wing is basically outmatched no matter what. I'd focus, because I could save it if I rolled well for defense.

3) If I'm playing imperials, that missile is on something mostly durable, so I can wait for a better shot. Secondly, that 1 damage on my ships brings them closer to off the table than it would for the rebels. If I'm playing rebels, I probably take the shot because A-wings are relatively fragile delivery platforms

4) Really? Its wedge, he lives.

5) Asteroid, easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read anyone's answers yet...

Duraham wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Save the Focus for defence. Howlrunner is my most important support ship. If she's in anyone's line of sight, she's saving that focus this early in the match. Even with damage, she's probably keeping it for defence unless the target ship is very likely to die before returning fire and there aren't any other ships that could shoot Howlrunner.
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fire with Focus. That, or concede.

Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Depends. If I think it will give me an overall advantage (does more relative damage to my opponent, and/or crippling ships that my other ships can finish off this turn), then it could very well be worth it. Hasn't come up for me yet, probably because I don't think Assault Missiles are very good.
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Definitely sacrifice the A-wing. Not even close. Seriously.
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Depends on the situation, but I'd probably fly through the asteroid more often than not. Depends what other ships are left, if I think I can lure the Rookie into my other ship's line of fire, etc.

*edit* Lol that I wasn't the first to suggest that the lone A-wing concede. I guess another option is just run away. Presumably the A-wing is worth more squad points, so by staying alive you earn a partial victory rather than fighting it out and losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:

I'd save it for defense. Depending on the situation (R3? How many people shooting at her?), I might even save it if she has only 1 hit left. If she's already been fired on by two Rebels, for example, that'll usually be Han and Wedge, and she has a real chance of dodging anybody else they've got.)

Quote:

I'd pass and try to outmaneuver the opponent. I've got very little chance in this match-up, but I like to fly.

Quote:

I wouldn't take that trade ... probably. (There is a big difference between AMs and SC, though, right?) If I had a significant shot at a OSK with the AM, I'd consider it.

Quote:

First, it's not a sure kill of the A-wing, AFAICT?

Second, isn't this situation exactly why DTF is on the A-wing? Why have it there, if it wasn't gonna be used in the exact situation it was designed for?

Quote:

Asteroid. Don't think it's even close, mathematically. (Plus, what's a Star Wars simulation without a TIE clipping an asteroid?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.