Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dungeon Dice» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Initial Impressions of the PnP Version and the new Kickstarter campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Dice is a PnP game gone the way of Kickstarter. As the title states, this only conveys my thoughts regarding game play. The rule set that I used to assemble my copy was pretty rough, but the updated rules are much better. Keep in mind that I’m only giving a very basic overview of the rules so that what I comment on makes sense. Links to the comprehensive rules and PnP files can be found on the project’s Kickstarter page.

The Simple Synopsis
Everyone starts with a Hero Die and two Equipment Dice. You get more Hero Dice by leveling up, and defeating Monsters awards you with single use Item Dice, Equipment Dice, or Artifact Dice (henceforth collectively referred to as Stuff). As you acquire more Stuff you have a better chance of defeating more difficult Monsters.

At the beginning of your turn you draw a Monster Die out of the bag and roll it. Your choices are to fight it alone, ask for help (from one other player), or simply pass your turn. Encounters are resolved by rolling all of the dice and comparing totals. Winners negotiate over the spoils, or lose a Hero Die if the battle is lost. Certain Monsters and all Artifacts give Fame Points, and the first player to four wins the game.

Dungeon...Cards?
Rather than risk insanity by cutting and affixing a few hundred stickers to dice I made cards for everything and used different colored dice for each. Our initial game had 15 unique Monster Dice (one each, taken straight from the PnP) and all of the Stuff.

(Self imposed) Dicey Difficulty
While having 15 Monsters was great for variety, we spent quite a few turns passing because the encountered Monster was too difficult. This happened a lot early on, and I planned to start with a smaller set of Monsters the next time we play and gradually add in the more difficult encounters. This shouldn’t be an issue with the commercial version, as there are 15 Monster Dice, 6 unique. I’m guessing that there will be more of the easier Monsters in the mix, effectively solving the issue we had early on. How this will change with the Stretch Goals (8 more Monsters) is unknown.

That's How I Roll...Singular
Aside from the decision to fight a Monster or not there’s no real push your luck element in the game. The dice are rolled once and you get what you get. That said, many of the Monsters and Stuff allow you to manipulate the dice in different ways. Unlike King of Tokyo, for example where you decide to roll for something or not, you’re looking at what’s in front of you and deciding how to get the most out of it.

"I can be a friend to you..."
Player interaction and negotiation are also present. Having someone help you defeat a Monster can result in greater rewards, but determining who gets what goes along with it. Experience (used to level up) is shared, but Fame and Stuff are not. The first person to four Fame Points wins the game, and you want that to be you, don’t you? Although you can’t attack another player as you would one of the Monsters, certain Items can be used against other players to prevent them from winning an encounter. Plenty of opportunity for cooperation and sabotage.

So how does it all add up?
Did it knock my socks off? No. Was it fun? Yes. Did my kids like it? No – they loved it. All of them have asked to play it again, and I promised to play with them tonight if they get all of their homework done. I like it for what it is – a light hack and slash dungeon romp. The abilities and variety of the Monsters and Stuff are neat, and there’s a ton of potential for expansion. Epic Bosses, Dungeons, and Classes and Races are already in the works.

“OK, fine. But do you like it enough to buy the commercial version?”
I’ve already backed another recently funded dice based dungeon crawler, but I think this is different (and good) enough to warrant its own place along side of it. I’m a Day One Backer, and looking forward to beating up Monsters with my kids with some proper dice.

Sound like fun to you? Then check out the project on Kickstarter. With 75% funding after one day this appears destined to have a lot of Stretch Goals met.

http://kck.st/11asgPB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just when you thought Munchkin couldn't get any worse, we've turned it into a dice game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fair to say this is good cross between Munchkin and Quarriors. Light dungeon crawl heavy on player negotiation AND bags of custom dice. If you are a fan of either of those two games, you should check this out IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
Just when you thought Munchkin couldn't get any worse, we've turned it into a dice game!

I thought the exact same thing when I was reading the old rules! It's just Munchkin with dice - but of course, dice are cooler and there is less opportunity of screwing each other over. I'll have to check out the updated rules, the old ones were tough to read and the dice were a bit confusing.

I think I might have a go at doing a non-custom-dice version to see how well it plays before backing it - the game has 70-odd dice before straech goals, and I'm not making that many! Maybe use a D20 to select the monster and a few dice charts for everything else. Less leg-work than making a card version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making the pnp components is half the fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Very clever method of cutting down on the cost (and time) of the PnP. I think it would get slightly confusing after a while, but definitely worth it. My PnP took about 4 hours to cut and stick and the dice set me back nearly £20.

I think the only downfall of the game is the fact that dice hate me. There's nothing worse than still being at 1 EXP when your opponents are approaching level 3 simply because your rolls have been utter shite.

Additionally, I didn't like Dungeon Crawl (the other "recently funded dice based dungeon crawler") because it didn't have that degree of strategy and decision that Dungeon Dice has. It just seemed like Zombie Dice or Farkle. The role cards are a good addition, but Dungeon Dice will add their own element of roles with the Class/Race expansion (which will be utterly sick)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
I've never played Munchkin, but from the little I've read it sounds way more chaotic. Dungeon Dice is light with some randomness, but I certainly wouldn't call it chaotic.

The main selling point for me was how much my kids liked it. We played it again the other night and we all liked it better the second time around.

cornixt wrote:
Maybe use a D20 to select the monster and a few dice charts for everything else. Less leg-work than making a card version.
We actually did that the last time and it worked well. If you earned fame from defeating the monster we gave that player the matching monster card.

GriffinPatterson wrote:
Additionally, I didn't like Dungeon Crawl (the other "recently funded dice based dungeon crawler") because it didn't have that degree of strategy and decision that Dungeon Dice has. It just seemed like Zombie Dice or Farkle. The role cards are a good addition, but Dungeon Dice will add their own element of roles with the Class/Race expansion (which will be utterly sick)
Do you mean Dungeon Roll? I didn't include the name because I didn't want to take anything away from the focus of the review. As it turns out, that project was what led me to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.