Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently acquired a copy of Lunar Rails from a friend who was giving away some games from his collection to make room for new ones. I noticed it came in the older style shallower box with black & white cards and all white resource chips, so I was curious if there was a newer edition of this game with a box and components that were more in line with the current editions of the Empire Builder games. Instead, I found Martian Rails, which appears to be very similar in both theme and mechanics and is being published with the deeper box and full-color components like the other current Empire Builder editions. So, was Lunar Rails "fired" in favor of Martian Rails, or are the two games not as similar as they appear? Does anyone here think Mayfair is planning on reprinting Lunar Rails with the newer style box and components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current games available in the modern style are:
Empire Builder
Martian Rails
Nippon Rails
Eurorails

All of the other games in the series are the older style. The last game mentioned to be modernized was Iron Dragon. However, that was four years ago, and there has been no word since.

Lunar Rails was one of the last games made in the old style. It is unlikely to be up for a remake, as there are probably thousands of copies in warehouses and on shelves. Mayfair doesn't reprint until stocks are depleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom B
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games are no more similar than Eurorails and Empire Builder. Same basic game as all the games in the series, the only real difference is the landscape and load cards, with a few special rules thrown in. And the 2 hemispheres of Luna do no play at all like the 3 sections of Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The games feel very different to me (more than Empire Builder and Eurorails differ, for example.) The uniformly costly lunar topography makes it an outlier for me, though not one I avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.