Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the lowest price I could find, beating Amazon ($46 free ship) and better than CSI ($38+ship) because this is $38.25 with free shipping.

PGA 4/16- Twilight Struggle: Deluxe Edition

For those not familiar with Penny Game Auctions, you have the option to either buy the game outright, or bid in the hopes of getting an even better price.

Here's the explanation from PGA if you're interested in the "competition" aspect:
"PGA FAQ"
"Problems with Penny Auctions?"

I thought this was a Hot Deal because regardless of your opinion on the business model, PGA is selling this game straight-up at a better price than other OLGS.

Please do not use this thread to debate the pros/cons of Penny Game Auctions (those discussions are already happening in Discussing Retailers and Press Releases forums).

If you have any questions about how to order the game directly, you could also email PGA directly, my experience has been that they respond quickly to inquiries:
customercare@pennygameauctions.com


((Full disclaimer: I have won a few early auctions from PGA for low prices. I am not affiliated with them in any other way, and the only reason I posted this was because I happened to notice the excellent price when I checked on their site this morning.))
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you purchase from any retailer, you're trusting them in a few ways. You're trusting that they actually have the stock they claim, you're trusting that they'll not charge your credit card (if that's your payment method) more than the agreed-on amount, you're trusting that they've kept the game in good condition, etc.

Any evidence that we as consumers can gather as to the trustworthiness of the retailer is useful. So I do see it as relevant that this retailer also runs a penny-auction scam as a sideline. Even if it's possible to make this purchase without participating in that scam, we can see that the retailer does not have the ethical behavior we usually hope for from the companies we do business with.

If someone would like to take the risk that that this retailer, though known to be shady in one way, is operating honestly in other ways, they are welcome to that risk. But I find your suggestion that it shouldn't be a relevant consideration to be a little disingenuous.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
why does the username should match the one that we use @ BGG? I don't feel safe doing it.


-R.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
When you purchase from any retailer, you're trusting them in a few ways. You're trusting that they actually have the stock they claim, you're trusting that they'll not charge your credit card (if that's your payment method) more than the agreed-on amount, you're trusting that they've kept the game in good condition, etc.

Any evidence that we as consumers can gather as to the trustworthiness of the retailer is useful. So I do see it as relevant that this retailer also runs a penny-auction scam as a sideline. Even if it's possible to make this purchase without participating in that scam, we can see that the retailer does not have the ethical behavior we usually hope for from the companies we do business with.

If someone would like to take the risk that that this retailer, though known to be shady in one way, is operating honestly in other ways, they are welcome to that risk. But I find your suggestion that it shouldn't be a relevant consideration to be a little disingenuous.


My apologies if it sounded disingenuous- the other threads had a fair bit of back and forth, and I wanted to ensure that this thread stayed on topic with regards to the specific deal.

If you believe that they are a scam, you are certainly welcome to steer clear, or join the discussion in the other threads (which at least attest to customers receiving the promised goods/not having credit cards stolen).

I had hoped that by giving the links to the other threads, I could let folks draw their own conclusions on the worthiness of this retailer while keeping this thread focused.

PGA has addressed the concerns about the "penny-auction" concept on their site, though of course no one needs to trust them.
"Problems with Penny Auctions"

Again, for the record: This is a good price. I personally have found the site reputable. Check out the other threads for further discussion and other opinions. Caveat emptor etc.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
But I find your suggestion that it shouldn't be a relevant consideration to be a little disingenuous.


Jem, I do not see where the OP states that the nature of PGA's business is not a relevant consideration. He merely directed viewers to other forum threads in which that very consideration is being discussed, in an attempt to keep this Hot Deals thread from becoming a rehash of discussion ongoing elsewhere.

I hope that by adding this very reply that I myself am not straying from the intent of this thread to publicize something that, to me at least, qualifies as a hot deal.

EDIT: the OP replied above at the same time that I was drafting my own response, reiterating the same thought.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood, and I'm not going to rehash pros/cons. As you say, people can go to the other threads. It sounds like we're basically in agreement. My point can be summarized as

"If you dislike PGA's business model, then you should not buy from them.

It sounded to me like you were saying:

Even if you dislike PGA's business model, you should consider this offer.

which was maybe a hasty reading on my part.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
Understood, and I'm not going to rehash pros/cons. As you say, people can go to the other threads. It sounds like we're basically in agreement. My point can be summarized as

"If you dislike PGA's business model, then you should not buy from them.

It sounded to me like you were saying:

Even if you dislike PGA's business model, you should consider this offer.

which was maybe a hasty reading on my part.


I guess I'm somewhere in between, but yes, that is a fair clarification on your post. Thanks for being courteous!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bliciant wrote:
why does the username should match the one that we use @ BGG? I don't feel safe doing it.


-R.


They require your username to match your BGG account as a way to (help) verify that all the bids on their penny auctions are done by real people, not by bots or something.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bugeeker wrote:
Bliciant wrote:
why does the username should match the one that we use @ BGG? I don't feel safe doing it.


-R.


They require your username to match your BGG account as a way to (help) verify that all the bids on their penny auctions are done by real people, not by bots or something.


BGG doesn't verify my genuine existence beyond having me acknowledge another email account's presence.

I consider this a questionable "assurance."

That's data that can be tallied, studied, marketed to, and possibly correlated with other collected information. While PGA may offer a worthwhile deal, I have enough such offers in my inbox and mailbox not to add another source of personal data leakage.

I also don't care for this from the owners: "the only user info that will be posted in our online ad's or on our site is your Username/BGG Username." My name may be used in their advertising just because I joined? That's enough for me to stay away. That should be an opt-in/opt-out choice up to the user, not a condition for joining the site.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the high level of potential extra cost, membership, the fact that it's an auction and effort associated with Penny Game Auction I don't think this qualifies as a "HOT DEAL". Just my two pennies.

Quote:

A Hot Deal posting DOES/IS NOT:
1. From a dealer.
2. An auction
3. Contain a referral link / request of any kind.
4. Contain a members-only website (members-only stores, like Costco are ok)


edit: besides, it's just one copy right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Buy-It-Now price is for as many copies as they have, at $38 with free shipping. I don't know if it's 5, 10, 20, 50 or 5000. But it's certainly more than 1. The auction portion of the offer is indeed for 1 copy only - but that's not the reason it's posted here in Hot Deals.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.