Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I am interested in trying my hand at some crayon rails, but a 3 hour game might be a tough introduction for me (read: my wife). Does anyone have any suggestions for any possible 60-90 minute (120 tops) crayon rails games?

Any help greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Express is a quick version of the game. The beginner rules even start everyone with some track on the board.

The game length of the regular Empire Builder games varies by the number of players. 45 minutes to an hour per player depending on experience and how fast you like to play.

Another nice thing about the Empire Builder games is that you can play it in a couple sessions pretty easily. Circle where your trains are on the board and put each player's money, train, and load chips in envelopes. Then you can put everything back in the box until you are ready to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing you can do (which is even easier) is set a lower total amount of cash for winning. Keep in mind, though, that the lower the amount, the more that winning will be influenced by the draw of delivery cards.

But it's pretty easy to tailor the game playing time this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player doesn't take nearly that long. Once you get the hang of it, probably an hour. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A. Two-player games are much shorter. However, your first couple of games will still take a while as you learn the game, the system, the maps, etc.

B. Making the game shorter is very easy. Simply lower the money total required for victory. Done.

C. Certain crayon rail games are faster, and certain crayon rails are longer. British Rails is rather quick. Iron Dragon is long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Russo
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
One of the variants in the rules suggests to start with the faster trains. That creates less downtime between deliveries and a faster overall game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to speed up the game is to remove the random events (bridge washouts, strikes, taxes) from the deck. Then you can modify the game as follows...

At the end of your turn, if it is clear that you'll complete a delivery on your next turn, you "declare" your delivery. You then draw your next demand card with the understanding that you don't really draw it until you complete the delivery.

This gives you a whole cycle of player turns to think about what load to take when you make the "declared" delivery, how to continue moving your train, and what new track to build.

Of course, this isn't possible if you the random events are in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play by the fast rules.

1. Start with extra $. Amount varies with each game.
2. One extra pre-movement turn.
3. Freight and heavy freight trains move at 12 instead of 9. Fast freight and super freight trains move at 16 instead of 12.

We also use the warehousing rule and open contracts. We can usually get a 3 or 4 player game done in 90 to 120 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great ideas here to work with. I had not thought of several of them, and will keep them in mind next time I play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.