BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you see Pandemic as a Euro or an Ameritrash? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: necroposting [+] [View All]
Ale Jones
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to explain to my girlfriend the other night about the differences between Eurogames and Ameritrash (no offense intended, I love them all), an imperfect and yet admittedly somewhat useful distinction. I was using all kinds of examples, but then I came to one of her favorite games, Pandemic, and I was quite shocked to find myself unable to decide one way or another!

Is it a Euro? But then it's more about achieving a specified objective rather than accumulating victory points...and isn't it more similar to Shadows over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica (or perhaps even Descent) than, say Agricola or Puerto Rico?

Is it an Ameritrash? But then there aren't any dice at all and the whole thing is more like a brainy logistics puzzle (again, no offense either way)?

I really don't mean to start another one of "those" threads -- and I certainly hope I didn't by asking this question. I am just curious how people answer this question WITHOUT getting too bogged down by the exact definition of Euro or Ameritrash...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Niccolai
United States
East Troy
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Pandemic isn't a Euro I don't see how the distinction between the two genres has any meaning. It's clearly a euro IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it's Ameritrash.

All kidding aside, I would think it's not either specifically, but leans toward Ameritrash. Euro's to me generally have worker placement or role selection and have some sort of victory point scale. Ameritrash is more direct in action (go here and do this) and tend to be more of a last man standing or first one to a certain objective wins.

But that's just me, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
A euro -with a prefix; lucky-euro or light-euro or family-euro or Cooprative-Euro

It's no Brass: Lancashire.

How come?

No player elimination.
No direct conflict/conflict at all.
No dice, no mini's.
No Dragons, Tanks etc.
Family friendly material.

Of course the terms are deeply flawed but still.

Edit:

ninjaed Ralph - sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ameritrash typically have
1. Dice or blind luck
2. Plastic figures
3. Dramatic themes involving conflict or destruction
4. Frequently have a long playing time
5. If there are cards, there's a lot of text on the cards.

Only the theme of Pandemic barely satisfies #3. While you could argue there is a lot of luck in Pandemic, Ameritrash seldom allows you to "puzzle anything out."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO - Euro...you just get one role selection!
Then you have to puzzle it out.
The only randomness is the cards, and even that you can mitigate by paying attention to what comes out for when the outbreaks occur!

meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Euro.

It's impossible to have this conversation without defining Euro and Ameritrash.

I consider games that favor theme over gameplay to be Ameritrash. Games that require more strategic decision making than luck would fall into the Euro category. The inverse of those would also be true.

Victory points and mechanics are secondary markers for the 2 genres. Power Grid is definitely Euro but doesn't use Victory Points. Merchants & Marauders is Ameritrash (though not really trash) but uses victory (glory) points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always seen the distinction between Ameri and Euro mainly based on mechanism and theme.

Whereas with Amerigames, mechanisms of the game facilitate the theme that is the focus point, with Eurogames the mechanisms are most important, with themes facilitating them (if at all, mostly barely).

Then there are several other distinctions like player elimination, balance ignored for sake of fun and/or theme, more luck (Amerigames) vs. victory points, several ways to earn VP and/or win, and less luck (Eurogames). But the first distinction was, in my mind, always the one that was most important.

So to me, the game is definitely a Eurogame. The theme is nice, but could have been replaced by others with a bit of clever adjustment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it encompasses both Europe and the Americas, indeed the whole world, why not come up with a new category? We'll call it Global-Garbage, something like a new organism (virus, in this case) with DNA from both that allows for cross-species transfer (has elements of both Euro- and Ameri-Trash), to create an entirely new strain of gaming sub-genre, that's destined to take the (gaming) world by storm.

"And One gaming sub-genre to unite them all ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic, like most all cooperative games, is a puzzle game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
False dichotomy, why does it have to be one or the other? There is no consistent definition of what the term 'euro' or 'ameritrash' means anyway due to too many people trying to hold on to the old useless definitions of the terms (what mechanics are used) rather than more useful terms that define the target audience. Eventually more useful definitions will win out or the terms will fall out of use to be replaced by something else.

Personally I'd call Pandemic a social game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy came with a bunch of multicolored wooden cubes.

Need I say more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Need I say more?

And in what way would plastic pieces replacing wooden cubes change the nature of the game?

Ameritrash is less a category, and more an allegation - a label some gamers use to lay claim on a game as being of their style.

"Euro-style game" or "Eurogame" is less specific every year, and the definition thus becomes more diluted. In a hobby where all designers borrow mechanisms from all styles of games, like people eating at a buffet, the current categorizations are becoming useless. Lots of "Euros" have strong thematic content, lots of what people claim are "Ameritrash" use mechanisms long found in Euros. Even "wargame" has had to expand in what it encompasses.

It's probably time to stop measuring with the current metrics (which are pretty damn vague to being with), and use a completely different system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Need I say more?

And in what way would plastic pieces replacing wooden cubes change the nature of the game?

It's a joke, hence the winky smile!!!

But I'll spoil it and say more. Euros (as I've come to understand the term) tend to favor an economy of style when it comes to rules and design. Pandemic has a simple yet clever little ruleset. Particularly the notion of having the infection pile top decked by the discards when an epidemic is drawn - it's recursive! A simple and very effective way to ratchet up the tension.

I'd call it a euroish approach to creating a tense coop without resorting to the so called "ameritrash" method of creating chaos and obstacles by throwing a huge assortment of different mechanics at you.

Personally, I really enjoy both approaches when done right: Pandemic and Arkham Horror are two of my favorite games!

Check out this comparative review of Pandemic and Arkham Horror. I think it does an excellent job of delineating the differences of the two games in terms of these genres...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
wormization wrote:
Is it a Euro? But then it's more about achieving a specified objective rather than accumulating victory points...and isn't it more similar to Shadows over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica (or perhaps even Descent) than, say Agricola or Puerto Rico?

I don't think that Euros are always about achieving a specified objective rather than accumulating victory points.

Alternatively, you can think of victory points = number of cures discovered, and the team wins when it reaches 4 points. (And there are plenty of Euros that have reaching a certain number of victory points as an end-game condition.)

Now one might point out that we can always reclassify victory conditions as victory points, and then first to 1 wins, which would be silly, but Pandemic really is different from such a case: the four objectives really are not so different from one another, so it is much more natural to say that we have scored a point when we have cured a disease. And there are certainly Euro games in which 4 can be a winning score (the first game that comes to mind, for me, is Fist of Dragonstones - first to three wins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To your point isn't "set collecting" (in this case 5 city cards of the same color) thought to be a euro style mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are cooperative games inherently Ameritrash? If so, that's the only thing about Pandemic that isn't Euro (other than a non-zero theme that isn't about resource collecting/trading/building in the Mediterranean).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there is player elimination, it's just that all the players get eliminated at once surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as a coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The original question is too limiting. Why limit the genre to one or the other? There are other genres out there besides Ameritrash or Euro. In my opinion Pandemic is either a "Hybrid" or simply a "Co-op".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurobore for sure

ralpher wrote:

4. Frequently have a long playing time
5. If there are cards, there's a lot of text on the cards.

most eurobore games I've tried take just as long as ameritrash games. sure they are some super long ones out there. but I've watched euro games take forever too.

and I'll take cards that say what they do over iconography any day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
AmeriEuro/Eurotrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I picture the cubes as infected people who are dying off, it's a Euro.

If I see the cubes as zombie hordes, it's Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an Euro. If you think too much, you will get confused in the minutiae. I look at other games in each group to decide which one resembles Pandemic the best. To me, it is much closer to Ticket to Ride, Settlers and Carcassonne than to Magic Realm, DungeonQuest and Marvel Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leacock is American therefor it's Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.