Subject: Do i have to place progress tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you can't.

Stalling is a valid tactic, but you have to do it the hard way : having low willpower to ensure you don't put too many tokens on the quest/location while still keeping it high enough to avoid failing the quest (or at lest not failing it too badly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rule book, anything not preceded by "you may" is considered to be mandatory. The relevant passage here is from page 14 of the rulebook and reads:

"If the [Willpower] is higher, the players have successfully
quested, and they make progress on the quest. A
number of progress tokens equal to the amount by
which their [Willpower] overcame the [Threat] are placed on the
current quest card."

No options given - they simply "are placed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sine the rule is: "A number of progress tokens equal to the amount by which their willpower overcame the threat are placed on the current quest card."

I'd think they would have said "up to the amount" if they intended otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ksempac wrote:
No you can't.

Stalling is a valid tactic, but you have to do it the hard way : having low willpower to ensure you don't put too many tokens on the quest/location while still keeping it high enough to avoid failing the quest (or at lest not failing it too badly)

Ironically showing more willpower by showing less willpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You can not use the abilities of Legolas or Blades of Gondolin or such (responses are optional).
You can deliberately underquest and use effects such as Eowyn or Protector of Lorien to get neutral.
You can engage and offtank Misty Mountain Goblins or something that persistently removes tokens.
Treacheries that remove progress can actually be helpful in some quests, don't counter them.
Make sure to have an active location to reduce the impact that errors in your questing conservativeness has on the current quest stage.

Plenty of ways to restrain your pace in quests that reward this.
Just not placing tokens from normal questing isn't one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hendersondayton wrote:
My situation was not clearing a location...in my case it was the second active location of the "Into the Pit" quest...I was not ready to get to "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" because I didn't have enough allies/attachments out to get thru that active location.

I need to stall thru "East Gate" (7 Progress) and "First Hall" (2 Progress) because "The Bridge of KD" doesn't allow me to play cards...which ends up hurting.

Yup, that sucks.

Also, this game can be hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
hendersondayton wrote:
My situation was not clearing a location...in my case it was the second active location of the "Into the Pit" quest...I was not ready to get to "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" because I didn't have enough allies/attachments out to get thru that active location.

I need to stall thru "East Gate" (7 Progress) and "First Hall" (2 Progress) because "The Bridge of KD" doesn't allow me to play cards...which ends up hurting.

What active location / quest card you are on in irrelevent unless the effect of active location / quest card stops you from putting progress tokens.

Once you quested succesfully via normal quest mechanic, you must put difference of willpower and threat as progress tokens.

In your specific case, since next Victory Location is added to staging area rather than added as active location, you could simply choose not to travel to Bridge of Khazad-Dum until you are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.