United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
Image from Love by Eskil Steenberg
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paid for my copy of Magic Realm on ebay and I eagerly await its shipment!

I can handle complex games, but I'd like to make this learning session as easy as possible. So... what supplements should I prepare for my first gaming session (which I expect to last all day Saturday)?

- Which rules are the most concise and easily to follow?
- What is the best gameplay summary supplement?
- Anything else I should know?
- How old do you think a child should be to start learning this game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sidestepping your questions a little bit to tell you my experience teaching the game to children:

While the 3.1 rules should probably be the ruleset you use to learn the game, if you want to teach non-gamers or younger gamers how to play the 1st encounter of the 2nd edition is a really good place to start. You get the experience of setting up the treasure card & chart of appearances, you get to build the board, learn how to handle the site & sound chits, and learn the basic activities of moving, hiding, and searching, without the complexity of combat, hired natives or magic.

When my daughter was six years old, we played a few games using the 1st encounter as a training aid, and treated the whole thing as a treasure hunt. Monsters would appear and block you, but not fight you. She's nine now, and will play the full game with us, taking an easier (fighter, not magic user) character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I did it. Good luck.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/357924/learning-magic-realm-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker (Matt) Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jared and Ronaldo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Matt Jones wrote:

The 3rd edition rules are the ultimate authority on how to play Magic Realm, and they work quite well as a reference for looking things up during a game. If you are just trying to learn the game, however, they are a tough read: long and dense.

Magic Realm Rules, version 3.1
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/14379/mr-31-complete-p...

For conciseness, it's hard to beat this document (an 8 page rules summary):

The Least You Need to Know to Play Magic Realm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/4475/leastmr8-pdf

Matt Jones wrote:

The new tutorial contains extensive examples of gameplay:

The Magic Realm Tutorial Project
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79698/the-magic-realm-...

Matt Jones wrote:

You might find the Quick Reference cards helpful, so you don't have to constantly look up tables that are scattered throughout the rulebook. These cards also contain many tables that are not found in the rulebook, including a very useful one summarizing die roll probablilities.

Quick Reference Cards for 3.1 edition Rules
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/22682/quick-reference-...

Matt Jones wrote:

It really depends on the child, although a number of parents have reported playing with children aged 8 or under (with a lot of parental assistance and/or simplified rules). I would guess that a child aged 10-12 could learn at least the basics of Magic Realm without too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm sure others have mentioned - RealmSpeak is always a good resource. In fact, I'd argue that there's no better combat trainer than RealmSpeak (if you make sure to read the combat log).

It won't do you much good if you don't have the foundations that Jay mentioned though.

I'd say learning it really well is your first goal. Then you need a really understanding friend that you can practice teaching it to. You'll make a TON of mistakes and will need many rules clarifications along the way - so just be open to the fact that it will be a bumpy (but rewarding) ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neyah Peterson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Something I saw someone suggest was to use Realmspeak, but also set up the physical game to mirror what's happening in RS. Then go through your actions on the table, but use RS for all dice rolls, rules arbitration, and treasures. That will let you go through the motions of game play, but you'll have RS acting as a referee.

Then you can follow along and see if you're play matches what RS is doing. If it does, great! If it doesn't, try to figure out why or come post asking for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
viper34j wrote:
Just paid for my copy of Magic Realm on ebay and I eagerly await its shipment!

I can handle complex games, but I'd like to make this learning session as easy as possible. So... what supplements should I prepare for my first gaming session (which I expect to last all day Saturday)?

Thanks!

- I would recomend 2nd edition rules as the most concise AND easy to follow, for both the first and second encounters. Just 21 pages of rules and you're ready to play the first encounter. 10 more pages explaining combat vs monsters and you're ready to play the second encounter. Make sure you thumb through the whole book though, because there are some references to characters, monsters, and treasures later in the book that are helpful.

3rd edition rules are completely thorough and a great reference for answering specific questions. However, you don't actually need them to play the first two encounters. Most of the difficulties arise when natives and magic become involved and 3rd edition (if I recall correctly) really focuses on these elements that you just don't need to worry about yet.

- Make sure you download the "least you need to know" supplement because it really is helpful.

- Ask questions freely on BGG! No question is too stupid and we will only mock you in private, never here on the boards.

- I don't know. At least six months? When do children stop eating dice?

I would say the biggest hurdle to overcome is how frustrating the game can be. It can be downright mean and a great game can come crashing down with just one bit of bad luck. How will your children deal with this? Fortunately, the game can be played completely cooperative so at least all of the bad things can happen to everyone. Just remember to keep everyone together (use Follow when moving to keep from getting separated).

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker (Matt) Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game, unpacked/unpunched it, organized it, and setup my first game! The beginning of my 3rd day with the Berserker will have to wait until tomorrow, sleep is calling.

Thanks for all your great suggestions everyone, I think I'll be able to figure this out after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.