Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm again thinking about scale-up play. I have a bunch of Hot Wheels so 3x makes sense. My dilemma is whether to base the cars or not. With a proper turn key, it seems like the basing is theoretically optional. At most, I might want to immobilize one wheel to keep the car from rolling upon table hits. I was thinking to pre-measure the cars and categorize them accordingly, luxury closer to 3 inches, subcompact maybe 1-1.5 inches and so on. That way LOS and arcs can give small cars and advantage and people driving big cars can't select small models in order to get false adavantage

Basing would be nice to eliminate any confusion, but I'm not sure I want to base all my cars in order to have a nice selection for players to choose from. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a way to have a limited number of bases that have some way to attach any car to it, but haven't come up with anything I think is practical.

I've seen pictures of other people's setups that go both ways, but i haven't seen a good write up on basing and wonder if anyone has any ideas or experience. Most write-ups I've seen deal with sourcing car mini's and the subsequent kit-bashing that some do. The actual basing isn't really addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this and it's an interesting idea.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=73705
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
make your 3" x 1.5" bases, but blu-tac the cars on after selection. end of game, they come off easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
With a proper turn key, it seems like the basing is theoretically optional. At most, I might want to immobilize one wheel to keep the car from rolling upon table hits.

I would disagree. The turning key was designed with a rectangular counter in mind and really does not work well with a free-wheeling vehicle.

TheChin! wrote:
I was thinking to pre-measure the cars and categorize them accordingly, luxury closer to 3 inches, subcompact maybe 1-1.5 inches and so on. That way LOS and arcs can give small cars and advantage and people driving big cars can't select small models in order to get false adavantage

IMHO, this does not really add much to the game. It is much easier to just use a bunch of bases that are 1.5" by 3" rather than cut or fit to the model. Hotwheels/Matchbox cars are not really consistent in their scale anyway.

TheChin! wrote:
Basing would be nice to eliminate any confusion, but I'm not sure I want to base all my cars in order to have a nice selection for players to choose from. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a way to have a limited number of bases that have some way to attach any car to it, but haven't come up with anything I think is practical.

What would be the downside to basing? Are you going to use the cars for something else?

TheChin! wrote:
I've seen pictures of other people's setups that go both ways, but i haven't seen a good write up on basing and wonder if anyone has any ideas or experience. Most write-ups I've seen deal with sourcing car mini's and the subsequent kit-bashing that some do. The actual basing isn't really addressed.

I use Evergreen sheet styrene. They make some that is already broken down into grids which make cutting to size super easy. You simply score along the grid line and "snap" the piece off. A drop of super glue on each wheel and you are good to go. You can paint however you like as well.

I have never tried this but I suppose it could work - could you make a hollow "frame" that has the outer measurments of the base but would allow you to put the free-wheeling vehicle in the middle? The base would be much lighter than if it was fully solid but if you were careful, you sort of would get the benefits of both a counter and leaving the vehicles free-wheeling. Your friend could bring their own and not need to worry about doing any work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
make your 3" x 1.5" bases, but blu-tac the cars on after selection. end of game, they come off easily enough.

Hmm seems simple, I haven't used that stuff for years and I don't remember it's properties. I'll have to experiment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
aramis wrote:

Probably the best solution to your problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:

What would be the downside to basing? Are you going to use the cars for something else?

Not anymore, when I first thought about it my daughter was young enough to still want to play with the cars, now she's not. I just thought it would look better without bases.

kjamma4 wrote:

I have never tried this but I suppose it could work - could you make a hollow "frame" that has the outer measurments of the base but would allow you to put the free-wheeling vehicle in the middle? The base would be much lighter than if it was fully solid but if you were careful, you sort of would get the benefits of both a counter and leaving the vehicles free-wheeling. Your friend could bring their own and not need to worry about doing any work.

This sounds pretty cool actually. I might try a prototype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I was in college, we used to have great car wars battles with matchbox cars. They're perfect for 3:1 scale. We never based them at all and it worked great. We laid out textbooks on the floor to serve as buildings, and each side would start at opposite ends of town and then we'd fight it out. Car Wars is hardly a serious miniatures wargame so not being exact in placement and movement worked out just fine for us.

But we did try out micromachines at 1.5:1 scale. These we based by cutting out rectangles of cardboard of the correct size and attaching them to the bottom of the cars using a sticky putty like stuff for hanging up posters on the walls. They easily come off if you ever want to unbase them. The micromachines were a much better scale for playing on a tabletop.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
igelkott255 wrote:
When I was in college, we used to have great car wars battles with matchbox cars. They're perfect for 3:1 scale. We never based them at all and it worked great. We laid out textbooks on the floor to serve as buildings, and each side would start at opposite ends of town and then we'd fight it out. Car Wars is hardly a serious miniatures wargame so not being exact in placement and movement worked out just fine for us.

But we did try out micromachines at 1.5:1 scale. These we based by cutting out rectangles of cardboard of the correct size and attaching them to the bottom of the cars using a sticky putty like stuff for hanging up posters on the walls. They easily come off if you ever want to unbase them. The micromachines were a much better scale for playing on a tabletop.

Chris
Blu-Tac is a trademark name for a poster hanging putty. I mentioned it upthread. It's a great way to mount a lot of stuff... a really thin bit can hold down corners...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.