United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister wants to buy Alhambra. What is the difference between the Family Box and Big Box? The price is a huge one, the Big Box is spendy. Which would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chang1701 wrote:
My sister wants to buy Alhambra. What is the difference between the Family Box and Big Box? The price is a huge one, the Big Box is spendy. Which would you recommend?

Big Box contains the original game and all 5 expansions (to date), which is 20 expansion modules)

Family Box contains base game, Granada (a 2nd game), and maybe 4 modules, some of the more popular ones, I assume.
[ ETA: -4 modules (promos) The Vizier's Favor, The Bonus Cards, The Bureaux de Change, and The Builders' Huts. ]

I think the Big Box is one of the best values in all of gaming. But not sure what kind of price difference you are looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scruffy Looking Nerf-Herder
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely get the Big Box. No question.

You get everything to date for the game, it's truly a good one, and the value for the play time you'll have is quite great. My wife and I love this game and have already played it probably thirty+ times in the short time we've owned it.

Each expansion has 4 different modules, all of which are mix-and-match able. You can choose only 1 mod, or all 4 from an expansion...and you can combine them across the expansions as well.

Check out Tom Vassel's review of them all (on YouTube/thedicetower) and you will get a better idea probably; although he doesn't care for all the expansions but does recommend getting the Big Box. If you like you can read my review of the base game.

Have fun Gaming!

edits 1, 2, 3: typos fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard L
Australia
Woy Woy
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtkinsonWH wrote:
all the expansions but does recommend getting the Bix Box. If you like you can read my review of the base game.

Have fun Gamming!

edit 1: typo fix.

More editing for typos required. "Bix Box" and "Gamming".

I'm sorry that you've fallen foul of one of the many spelling and grammar tyrants on BGG. whistle

BTW, I concur with the Big Box as the way to go. I've purchased it in advance of a birthday coming up (it is hiding in the cupboard and has not been played!). The review on TableTop (Alhambra Review) and BGG really convinced me I should get this SdJ award winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue is price. the only copy I can find is 90$. the family edition still gets you an expansion and is only 40$. If it was me getting it I would go big box, but it is my sister, so she has decided on the family box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box seems to cycle in and out of print runs/availability. I waited for it to come back to the major on-line webstores and also got a little more discount on top of the regular (low) price. If you wait, you can probably get it in the ~$50 range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minature market has a copy at 52 bucks plus shipping.

Check them out, I order a lot from them.

chang1701 wrote:
The only issue is price. the only copy I can find is 90$. the family edition still gets you an expansion and is only 40$. If it was me getting it I would go big box, but it is my sister, so she has decided on the family box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. Should be fixed now. Thanks for keeping me honest.

VonKrumm wrote:
AtkinsonWH wrote:
all the expansions but does recommend getting the Bix Box. If you like you can read my review of the base game.

Have fun Gamming!

edit 1: typo fix.

More editing for typos required. "Bix Box" and "Gamming".

I'm sorry that you've fallen foul of one of the many spelling and grammar tyrants on BGG. whistle

BTW, I concur with the Big Box as the way to go. I've purchased it in advance of a birthday coming up (it is hiding in the cupboard and has not been played!). The review on TableTop (Alhambra Review) and BGG really convinced me I should get this SdJ award winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every where that sells it for under 60$ is sold out without a timeline of restocking. arg. cry

AtkinsonWH wrote:
Minature market has a copy at 52 bucks plus shipping.

Check them out, I order a lot from them.

chang1701 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck man. At least the expansions are not that expensive.

Either way you'll love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Family Box contains base game, Granada (a 2nd game), and maybe 4 modules, some of the more popular ones, I assume.
[ ETA: -4 modules (promos) The Vizier's Favor, The Bonus Cards, The Bureaux de Change, and The Builders' Huts. ]

I think those are the 4 modules of the 1st expansion (the only one I own). To me it also depends on the size of your collection: if you are going to play mostly Alhambra you may need a lot of expansions, but if you alternate different games all those expansions are not needed at all, the game is good on his own (though adding The Vizier's Favor is good if you are 5-6 players).

I have Alhambra and Carcassonne with only their 1st expansion, and when they come to the table from time to time the game feels fresh enough, no need to go through many different rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
franchi wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I think those are the 4 modules of the 1st expansion (the only one I own). To me it also depends on the size of your collection: if you are going to play mostly Alhambra you may need a lot of expansions, but if you alternate different games all those expansions are not needed at all, the game is good on his own (though adding The Vizier's Favor is good if you are 5-6 players).

I have Alhambra and Carcassonne with only their 1st expansion, and when they come to the table from time to time the game feels fresh enough, no need to go through many different rules.

I guess that it is. I always thought they mixed and matched with the Family edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom PutitPlanely
Canada
Kingsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have read that the Big Box edition was sold with mis-cut tiles...any one also hear of this complaint?
I just bought the base game and wanted the Big Box version but was worried about having to deal with this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PutitPlanely00 wrote:
I have read that the Big Box edition was sold with mis-cut tiles...any one also hear of this complaint?
I just bought the base game and wanted the Big Box version but was worried about having to deal with this issue.

Yes. Some were like this when it first came out. They would replace them them though if you asked. The issue might be corrected now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.