flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone.

Tomorrow begins the two week countdown to our Kickstarter launch on May 1, so I thought I would provide a few more bits of information that you may not have heard about yet.

Winner: Game Design Competition 2007 (Games Club of Maryland)

In 2007, Canterbury won an exciting game design competition at Game Days in Maryland. It was a very fun weekend and we received great feedback from all involved. The game has evolved quite a bit since then, but we were inspired by the positive reaction to the game at the show.

Bilingual Edition: English & German

Canterbury is a game that we hope will appeal to players throughout the world. The board and most of the components are language-independent, and for those components that do feature text, we will be printing them double-sided in English and German. There will also be two rulebooks included in the game (one in English, one in German).

Reduced Shipping to most of Europe

As an added bonus to our international customers, we have provided special packages that include very affordable shipping to Canada and many parts of Europe. Customers from the listed countries do not have to pay any extra shipping for the following packages:

SAXON ENVOY & SAXON AMBASSADOR: Free shipping to Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Monaco and Slovenia
These packages are $10 more expensive than other packages, so patrons from these countries only pay that much more than those in the US.

SAXON EMISSARY & SAXON DELEGATE: Free shipping to Canada, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary
These packages are $20 more expensive than other packages, so patrons from these countries only pay that much more than those in the US.

That's all for now. We'll continue to release new information as we make our way closer to the big day!

Thanks,

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Canterbury is a family game...

Noooooooooooooooooooo.... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Quote:

Rest assured, Ingo. There is plenty of gamer strategy and complexity in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
d0gb0t wrote:
Quote:

Rest assured, Ingo. There is plenty of gamer strategy and complexity in there!

Hopefully! I'll take you up on that! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the term "family game" is misleading, so I appreciate the heads up. To me, games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, and Kingdom Builder are "family games", but I can see where the term might imply something a lot simpler. I would put Canterbury in the same complexity category as those games.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
I would put Canterbury in the same complexity category as those games.

What luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 for shipping to Canada is not unreasonable. However $10 more to ship to Canada vs. UK, Czech Republic etc... is confusing. Do you have a European distribution deal which makes shipping cheap to parts of Europe?

When I hear family game I think of SdJ type games, Ticket to Ride, Carc, Thurn and Taxis etc...

It sounds like this game is heavier than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jon.

Our printer will be Ludo Fact in Germany, and they will be directly shipping the Kickstarter copies to our customers in Europe. This is what allows us the reduced shipping rates to the countries listed above.

The normal cost for shipping a single copy to Europe would be around the $50 mark, so we were relieved that Ludo Fact offers this shipping service.

Thanks,

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance the game will be ready by Essen (with option of pickup)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taras Vercesuks
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about shipping to Latvia - if shipped from Germany same $20 should be OK? Essen pick up will also do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onetonmee wrote:

Hi, Kareem.

Our goal is to have the game shipped out to Kickstarter supporters by early October. If we do well enough, we would go to Essen and perhaps we can offer an Essen pickup as an option. But that will depend on how well the Kickstarter goes.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zkBoy wrote:
What about shipping to Latvia - if shipped from Germany same $20 should be OK? Essen pick up will also do.

Hi, Taras.

Unfortunately, Latvia is just outside the zone that will allow these shipping prices. However, as I mentioned above, if the Kickstarter does well, there is a possibility that we will add an Essen pickup option.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always a bit of a bummer being from the southern hemisphere of this fair planet, shipping wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
onetonmee wrote:

Hi, Kareem.

Our goal is to have the game shipped out to Kickstarter supporters by early October. If we do well enough, we would go to Essen and perhaps we can offer an Essen pickup as an option. But that will depend on how well the Kickstarter goes.

Andrew

Lets hope you do well then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Are there any "Danish Visitors" in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we please get multi copy packs for Australia etc? It cuts down the per copy shipping cost.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The brief description of Canterbury tells me I will like it. Resource availability based on physical location on a map is all I need to hear. Actually, "map" is probably enough to make me buy it even if it isn't "heavy" enough for my usual tastes. [And for those who look, I do own many non-map and light games. I'll try many things a few times but only play Roads & Boats and its ilk repeatedly.

I have misapprehensions about game weight as seen by the designer, given his comment: "To me, games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, and Kingdom Builder are 'family games', but I can see where the term might imply something a lot simpler. I would put Canterbury in the same complexity category as those games." [! ?]

I personally do not view Agricola, Puerto Rico, and Kingdom Builder as having similar degrees of complexity. Neither do BGGer's as a group. The games' respective weights are 3.6, 3.3, and 2.1. Kingdom Builder is pretty close to a gateway game. So where does Canterbury really fit in this spectrum? I would like it to be at or above the 'Gric but realize that might not be a widely shared sentiment.

Hopefully we will see a full set of rules soon and be able to judge for ourselves. [Need any proofreaders?]

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Can we please get multi copy packs for Australia etc? It cuts down the per copy shipping cost.

B>

Yes, there is already one package called "Saxon Army" which gives you 2 of everything in the basic package. The base amount for this package is $10 cheaper than purchasing two copies separately, and the international shipping cost is only $10 more than for just getting one copy, so it's really like getting the second copy for no extra shipping cost. Definitely the way to go if you have a friend who lives nearby!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bankrupt wrote:
I personally do not view Agricola, Puerto Rico, and Kingdom Builder as having similar degrees of complexity. Neither do BGGer's as a group. The games' respective weights are 3.6, 3.3, and 2.1. Kingdom Builder is pretty close to a gateway game. So where does Canterbury really fit in this spectrum? I would like it to be at or above the 'Gric but realize that might not be a widely shared sentiment.

Hopefully we will see a full set of rules soon and be able to judge for ourselves. [Need any proofreaders?]

Rick

Hi, Rick.

Canterbury is a medium weight game that is somewhere between Puerto Rico and Agricola in overall weight (perhaps a 3.4?)

Yes, the English rulebook will be posted before the Kickstarter begins, and hopefully the German version shortly thereafter. Regarding proofreading, one of the advantages to posting the rulebook during the Kickstarter is that we will be happy to make changes based on feedback from readers during the Kickstarter. That is one of the advantages of BGG, after all!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew. I will certainly read and comment on the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

Yes, there is already one package called "Saxon Army" which gives you 2 of everything in the basic package. The base amount for this package is $10 cheaper than purchasing two copies separately, and the international shipping cost is only $10 more than for just getting one copy, so it's really like getting the second copy for no extra shipping cost. Definitely the way to go if you have a friend who lives nearby!

Andrew

We've sometimes been organising even larger groups. Does it make any sense to offer even those, or do we fall over one of the postage cliffs?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Bruce.

I will have to investigate further. We do have one package that allows 4 copies, but that is only for brick & mortar stores in the US at the moment.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Hi, Jon.

Our printer will be Ludo Fact in Germany, and they will be directly shipping the Kickstarter copies to our customers in Europe. This is what allows us the reduced shipping rates to the countries listed above.

The normal cost for shipping a single copy to Europe would be around the $50 mark, so we were relieved that Ludo Fact offers this shipping service.

Thanks,

Andrew
Cool that it will be done by a good producer to =P ;D

Also more games should be made in Europe. Especially the English editions. Damnit. ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.