Subject: looks cool, but very confused rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Sentinels and appreciate that the artwork looks similar, but I'm very confused about this game.

Not much on the KS about gameplay. What are the miniatures used for? How original is the deckbuilding mechanic used in this game (I'm very sceptical about adding another deckbuilder to the colection? How unique are the races?

I'm sure more stuff will come out but I'm just very interested to see what fresh gameplay this will bring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm waiting for more info too. I love Sentinels, but a big part of the reason I love it is for its unique mechanics. If this ends up being "just another deckbuilder," I'm not sure it'll be for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Kickstarter comments section:

Quote:
The game comes with cardboard tokens to represent the locations of ships. The minis replace those tokens.

So the minis aren't necessary to the game, they're just "chrome" for those who want more theme.

I'm also severely disappointed in the lack of details. No video, no pictures of components, no real rules overview. I'm not sure if GtG is planning on adding more details later in the campaign, or if they honestly expect this to get funded on hype alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Almost nothing to go on as far as the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised back the lack of details as well. It looks as though the project page was released prematurely, which is strange given that >Games has a lot of Kickstarter experience at this point in time. The lack of information doesn't seemed to have deterred the 200 or so backers that have already pledged. I'm sure more info in coming, and I will definitely be keeping an eye on the project.

edit: I just took a look at the previous SotM campaigns, and they weren't flooded with detail on the main page either. It seems a lot of the component photos, etc., were included in the Updates section. However, SotM was already an established game and the Kickstarters were for expansions. In this case, with a brand new release, >G may have underestimated the amount of gameplay information that would be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
It's called building momentum. One strategy is to start with basic info and to keep building on it as time goes by. Why show your whole hand right away when you can keep updating throughout the campaign. It lets your die hard fans hop in first and then have them keep following and slowly build up the excitement level. The idea is that those who got in first will keep talking about the project throughout.

With that said it just baffles me how people are so quick to throw their money at projects. To each their own obviously. Is there some kind of geek cred medal for getting into a kickstarter within the first few hours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always cancel, so there is a low threshold for joining a kickstarter.

And while I agree there isn't much detail, this is typical for kickstarters. You launch and then slowly release details over the month to keep people interested. Its annoying but it clearly is the trend.

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they just had to jump and start the campaign early so that they will possibly meet their deadline. As I read on the GTG forums they are planning to release during one of the conventions before Vengeance is even launched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
With that said it just baffles me how people are so quick to throw their money at projects. To each their own obviously. Is there some kind of geek cred medal for getting into a kickstarter within the first few hours?

There are only two reasons I can see for wanting to pledge so early on a campaign:

1. Some campaigns offer "early bird" specials that give special bonuses to backers who pledge within the first 24 hours or so. This particularly happened on the last two Flash Point campaigns. There are also some Kickstarter campaigns that offer a limited number of "early bird" pledge levels, which is typically the standard set of rewards at a reduced price. GtG is not offering either of these.

2. Some KS campaigns ship rewards to backers in the order that pledges are received. GtG does not do this, as they ship out in alphabetical order by first name.

As such, I'm also a little confused as to the extremely high number of backers already. I realize that you can always cancel your pledge, but there's a subtle psychological phenomena at work that prevents most people from doing that. When you pledge, you've already spent that money in your mind. As the close of the campaign nears, you don't need to decide to spend money on the game, you need to decide to NOT spend money on the game. Only if you have a negative opinion of the game, will you actually take the time to cancel your pledge. Those with neutral opinions most likely will not cancel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Koey wrote:
I think they just had to jump and start the campaign early so that they will possibly meet their deadline. As I read on the GTG forums they are planning to release during one of the conventions before Vengeance is even launched.

But surely they know how the game works by this point? I believe that playtesters have had access to it for a while now. How hard would it have been to add a quick writeup of the rules and pictures of a few of the test components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:

As such, I'm also a little confused as to the extremely high number of backers already. I realize that you can always cancel your pledge, but there's a subtle psychological phenomena at work that prevents most people from doing that. When you pledge, you've already spent that money in your mind. As the close of the campaign nears, you don't need to decide to spend money on the game, you need to decide to NOT spend money on the game. Only if you have a negative opinion of the game, will you actually take the time to cancel your pledge. Those with neutral opinions most likely will not cancel.

Wch is extremely beneficial from a business point of view...

My guess is that most of the current backers are already fans of >G. When the funding goal is met early, it brings notoriety to the project and helps gather even more backers, and >G know that. And the fans too. And though there isn't much information about the game, some bits can be found here and there (hint: http://dicehateme.com/2013/02/the-state-of-games-episode-41-... ).

At least it makes sense to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Sentinels, and I want to support GTG, but I'm not going to do it blindly. I even went looking on their website and found little. If they won't put the work in to property sell their game to me, why should I put my money towards supporting it?

I'll subscribe here, and loosely follow the project in hopes that things change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I got to play a prototype of the game earlier this year. With the launch of the Kickstarter, Christopher has given me the Ok to talk about it. I submitted a review which is in Geekmod that covers my thoughts and lays out the basic game mechanics and things I thought it was doing that are differnt from other deckbuilders I've played. Hopefully it makes it through mod soon!

The highlights are that play is simultaneous among the players within a phase, there are 2 basic types of cards, one which stays in your deck and one that doesn't, you have some control of your deck order during shuffling, and the Battle phase (and prep for that) encourages a lot of talk and communication among the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Badell
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Keep on saving the Multiverse!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, here's a more in-depth look at the rules and gameplay: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/galactic-strike-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
1. Some campaigns offer "early bird" specials that give special bonuses to backers who pledge within the first 24 hours or so. This particularly happened on the last two Flash Point campaigns. There are also some Kickstarter campaigns that offer a limited number of "early bird" pledge levels, which is typically the standard set of rewards at a reduced price. GtG is not offering either of these.

As such, I'm also a little confused as to the extremely high number of backers already. I realize that you can always cancel your pledge, but there's a subtle psychological phenomena at work that prevents most people from doing that.

These days I tend to just pledge and cancel later, primarily due to your #1 above. I also like getting the updates via email so I don't miss them. I don't think I have any problem canceling.

In this case, I love the theme, love deck building, and love SotM, so there is a good chance I'll be in until the end. But if they don't post either really good rules or gameplay video by the end I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Synnical77 wrote:
It's called building momentum. One strategy is to start with basic info and to keep building on it as time goes by. Why show your whole hand right away when you can keep updating throughout the campaign. It lets your die hard fans hop in first and then have them keep following and slowly build up the excitement level. The idea is that those who got in first will keep talking about the project throughout.

I don't know. With this strategy, you run the risk of somebody looking at your page, having no idea what it's about and then just forgetting about it. It seems like a risky move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.