Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone heard whether FFG is going to have an included "campaign" or "complete series in one sitting" mode included in Daybreak? IE, one that includes bits and pieces from all 3 expansions and base game (a best of, so to speak) but not EVERYTHING, as that would be unwieldy. It would be pretty cool to have a session that isn't much longer than a regular BSG session is now, but one that deals with Kobol, New Caprica, Ionian Nebula, and Earth. Barring that, a mult-session campaign mode, with continuing characters (assuming they live) would be cool, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a Variant
(changing endgame)
(Pegasus shows up later. Maybe)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/837596/this-has-all-happ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has talked about something like this for a while. I'd love to see some sort of campaign where you try to make it through all 4 destinations in a row: Kobol/New Caprica/Ionian Nebula/Earth. It'd be great fun.

The biggest problem though is once Cylons are revealed it would kind of suck to have those players stay that way for that long and lose the deception/distrust/unease part of the game for a huge part of it.

I think the best thing to do is to just unofficially run your own campaign and just try to play through all four scenarios in a row. Each one as a separate game though, with new loyalties and characters and stuff handed out each time. For fun you could keep track of the heroes that have turned Cylon or died, and I'd leave those ones out of the remaining games. But the players themselves wouldn't be tied down to Cylon or Human side for the whole campaign.

I'd think with this, if the humans lose it'd be campaign over but then it's *pretty* hard to win as humans, so making it through all four consecutively with human wins would maybe be too hard.

But yeah, maybe FFG will have some sort of campaign in Daybreak. Not sure. Like I said, I'd think it'd have to be something like above but maybe they can come up with ways to make it more exciting.

We'll see I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ehlers
United States
Fairview Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to guess that there's some kind of campaign variant in the works for the Daybreak expansion. If you read the Earth destination card, it doesn't appear to be functionally different than Kobol, which suggests to me, that it's meant to be played in a campaign mode (or what other reason is there in its inclusion when it doesn't provide a different game than the base.) Also wishful thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZorajitZorajit wrote:
If you read the Earth destination card, it doesn't appear to be functionally different than Kobol, which suggests to me, that it's meant to be played in a campaign mode (or what other reason is there in its inclusion when it doesn't provide a different game than the base.)

It is functionally different, at least a little bit. Game ends after distance 10, not 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
It is functionally different, at least a little bit. Game ends after distance 10, not 8.

Which means you have to adjust for the corresponding lack of fuel. Easiest way, of course, would be to start at 10 fuel instead of 8, but other ways are also possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ZorajitZorajit wrote:
I'd be willing to guess that there's some kind of campaign variant in the works for the Daybreak expansion. If you read the Earth destination card, it doesn't appear to be functionally different than Kobol, which suggests to me, that it's meant to be played in a campaign mode (or what other reason is there in its inclusion when it doesn't provide a different game than the base.) Also wishful thinking.

We don't have the rules yet, but it appears that the Demetrius is only used with the Earth destination as well, so while the card doesn't have anything particularly interesting mentioned on it, the rules almost certainly have conditions under which Demetrius enters play, and we can see that Demetrius missions can make all sorts of shenanigans happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
For fun you could keep track of the heroes that have turned Cylon or died, and I'd leave those ones out of the remaining games. But the players themselves wouldn't be tied down to Cylon or Human side for the whole campaign.

Also, as a general reward/punishment, maybe the winners of a "season" would get to pick their next characters first, while the losers would draw an extra loyalty at start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with any sort of all-objectives single game is that mechanically, New Caprica is an endgame, while Trauma/Crossroads is everything but the endgame, but thematically New Caprica should come before Ionian Nebula (and definitely before Earth).

From what's been revealed, it looks like the Earth objective changes pre-endgame gameplay, so my tentative suggestion (pending release of more details) for a mechanically coherent game would be to play with Demetrius etc, and Allies and Trauma active from the start, have Sleeper at distance 4, Crossroads at distance 9, and follow Crossroads immediately with New Caprica.

Having anything after leaving New Caprica makes things much harder for the Colonials because you immediately have to allow a safe margin on resources rather than knowing exactly what you need to save...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
The problem with any sort of all-objectives single game is that mechanically, New Caprica is an endgame, while Trauma/Crossroads is everything but the endgame, but thematically New Caprica should come before Ionian Nebula (and definitely before Earth).

From what's been revealed, it looks like the Earth objective changes pre-endgame gameplay, so my tentative suggestion (pending release of more details) for a mechanically coherent game would be to play with Demetrius etc, and Allies and Trauma active from the start, have Sleeper at distance 4, Crossroads at distance 9, and follow Crossroads immediately with New Caprica.

Having anything after leaving New Caprica makes things much harder for the Colonials because you immediately have to allow a safe margin on resources rather than knowing exactly what you need to save...

That could be fairly easily solved by declaring that one out of every three ships is already escaped and off board to represent the portion of the fleet that never landed and jumped away when the cylons arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're about to try a Kobal-New Caprica-Crossroads epic, in a couple of weeks. On my group's forum, I posted this session as "Galactica, the complete series" - this was planned back in January. Now I see it is only a season finale. blush

I am still working on the details, but it is going to go something like this.

First, the Galactica reaches Kobal, at distance 4, and we have the Sleeper stage.

Up to now, the Galactica is on its own, but after Kobal, it is joined by Pegasus, and they head for New Caprica (distance 7), where the endgame from the Pegasus expansion will be played.

Then, the fleet will head onwards to the Ionian Nebula, and the game's final resolution with Crossroads, the Exodus endgame. I am currently allowing for another 4 distance, making the game 12 distance long.

Because of this, I am planning to allow for a limited amount of refueling and repairs after New Caprica, to prepare us for the final leg. Still working on the details, but I particularly like Ted's idea of one in three colony ships escaping with the Galactica and Pegasus.

I'm hoping to experiment with it on my own sometime this weekend - the session itself is the weekend after. Will try to remember to post how we get on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Has anyone heard whether FFG is going to have an included "campaign" or "complete series in one sitting" mode included in Daybreak? IE, one that includes bits and pieces from all 3 expansions and base game (a best of, so to speak) but not EVERYTHING, as that would be unwieldy. It would be pretty cool to have a session that isn't much longer than a regular BSG session is now, but one that deals with Kobol, New Caprica, Ionian Nebula, and Earth. Barring that, a mult-session campaign mode, with continuing characters (assuming they live) would be cool, too.
I guess you mean "relatively unwieldy", as the game is already like that as is.

I recall someone coming up with a variant where you add resources after finishing a set/chapter/exp. Part of it included extra fuel.

For Earth at 10 distance, I'd like to see how they compensate for that. It's been speculated that the Demetrius/Mutiny/whatever new mechanic may have a way to get extra distance otherwise not possible.

And I have a nagging feeling that while the old mantra of "1 fuel per distance" may work well with 8-distance, it may be different with 10 distance... sort of like how you'd think that a theoretical 7p game with 3 cylons would be balanced, but the 3rd cylon being a CL is actually more balanced (MORE balanced, ftr I didn't say it was balanced)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
We're about to try a Kobal-New Caprica-Crossroads epic, in a couple of weeks. On my group's forum, I posted this session as "Galactica, the complete series" - this was planned back in January. Now I see it is only a season finale. blush

First, the Galactica reaches Kobal, at distance 4, and we have the Sleeper stage.

Up to now, the Galactica is on its own, but after Kobal, it is joined by Pegasus, and they head for New Caprica (distance 7), where the endgame from the Pegasus expansion will be played.

Then, the fleet will head onwards to the Ionian Nebula, and the game's final resolution with Crossroads, the Exodus endgame. I am currently allowing for another 4 distance, making the game 12 distance long.

Because of this, I am planning to allow for a limited amount of refueling and repairs after New Caprica, to prepare us for the final leg. Still working on the details, but I particularly like Ted's idea of one in three colony ships escaping with the Galactica and Pegasus.

I'm hoping to experiment with it on my own sometime this weekend - the session itself is the weekend after. Will try to remember to post how we get on.

This sounds awesome! How will you deal with characters from Pegasus that start on Pegasus (Cain, for example)? Will they not be playable? Will they be available as replacements for executed characters? Also, what about the cylon players? What happens if they win prior to distance four or eight or twelve? Do you think a "victory point" system would work for this mode? So that in the event of a Cylon "win" then, the game doesn't end but it continues on, with resources getting a bump, but the cylon(s) get a victory point total. Then when the colonials reach each waypoint (Kobol, NC, Ionian Neb) they earn a victory point total. Then when the game ends after Crossroads, the victory points are tallied and the real winner is determined. points could be awarded for the aforementioned cylon "wins", checkpoints reached, cylons executed, humans executed, fleet ship losses, etc...

Obviously, this is just an off-the-cuff idea that I haven't planned at all. Just wondering how it sounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Chris__M wrote:

This sounds awesome! How will you deal with characters from Pegasus that start on Pegasus (Cain, for example)?
Cain is the only char that starts on Peggy, and even then, she still has the option to start on Command on Galactica. Furthermore, the exp's have rules about new characters after execution starting on locations that are no longer available (such as C1), so you should be able to just follow those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Pegasus characters won't be available in the initial mix, although they will be available should anyone die after Pegasus joins us.

I was considering taking Adama and son out of the mix too - purely for thematic reasons - as they went off on the Galactic/Pegasus when New Caprica happens. But I decided to include them - if they are played, then we simply have an alternate universe where they got caught on the planet, and [name non-player characters here] commanded the ships during this time.

If the Cylons win at any point, then they win, and the game ends. If it ends very quickly, we might start the megagame again, otherwise - depending on the time, we may play a normal game, or play something else altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Cain is the only char that starts on Peggy, and even then, she still has the option to start on Command on Galactica.

Ah, good - Cain is the only problem one - I was going to check the various Pegasus expansion characters to see who were affected, but you've answered that for me!

I'm still going to veto Cain, though, until Pegasus arrives. We have lots to choose from anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Bryce
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is slightly tangential, but there's always the "mega-campaign" option; three games, back to back to each of the various destinations. I'm playing in a PBF for such an experiment right now, actually. Players retain their characters and their titles between games if they were human, but Cylons choose new characters. The exception was that Admiral Cain took the admiralty when she joined the fleet in game 2.

Link here, if you're curious:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/858948/bsg-306a-306b-and-306...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than hijack this thread further, having come up with my rules for our mega-game, I have posted to variants:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12058507

We are going to be playing this next weekend, so I will let you know how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that when you JUMP and reach destination 10. You are at Earth. Game ends.

Almost same as distance 8 and 1 more jump.

As for not using Pegasus characters in the beginning. I don't see why anyone would limit them.
BSG as a game always plays out as an alternate demension (Basicly)
Maybe Cain starts on Galactica this time, and Adama shows up later.
JoeM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
My guess is that when you JUMP and reach destination 10. You are at Earth. Game ends.

Not an unreasonable guess, but we've seen the Earth objective card, and it says the same as Kobol apart from the name and the second number. Specifically:

"10: The next time the fleet jumps, the humans win the game [They do not draw a Destination Card]."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.